Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bianchi Volpe

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 09:20 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Bianchi Volpe

Just recently got one for the wife, since she wanted an all-rounder to take up cycling. She likes it.

A few of my observations:

Nice geometry for an all-rounder. Not truly a cross bike, it's like Bianchi made a "gravel" bike before anyone invented the latest marketing niche.

Tiagra hubs aren't blingy, but like all Shimano hubs, they are exceptional at the price point.

Holy buckets, it's heavy. Feels like a tank next to my steel Ritchey Breakaway cross. I don't really have any weight weenie stuff on the Ritchey either (105, Brooks saddle, 32 spoke wheels), so nearly all that weight has to be in the frame.
Old 07-03-16, 09:54 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
A lighter saddle and wheelset could reduce weight significantly. The Volpe is a sports/touring model built for toughness. Many of those components are excessively heavy and built for loaded touring. If your wife is normal weight, you can go to lighter components.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-03-16, 10:05 PM
Troy Winter
flyover

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1994 Trek 930, All-city Machoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 4 Posts
volpe.jpg

I like my Volpe.
Old 07-04-16, 10:58 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

I dunno.

For comparison:

My Ritchey:
CrMo Steel frame.
CF fork with AL steerer. (It's a burly CF fork too.)
Ritchey Comp alloy seatpost.
Ritchey Pro alloy stem.
FSA alloy bars.
105 shifters and derailers.
V-brakes.
Ultegra triple crankset.
Velocity A23 rims, Dura Ace hubs, 28/32 spoke wheels.
Brooks saddle.

Her Volpe:
CrMo steel frame.
CrMo steel fork.
Deda alloy seatpost. (I replaced the boat anchor that came with it.)
Alloy stem.
Alloy bars.
Tiagra shifters and derailers.
Canti brakes.
Tiagra triple crankset.
Tiagra hubs, Alex rims, 36 spoke.
Brooks saddle.

All told, while the Volpe's components are heavier, by my quick mental math I don't think they add up to the significant weight differential. Just hoisting them, I think her Volpe is at LEAST 5 lbs heavier than my bike, maybe more. When I hang her bike, the wall hook bends in ways that it just doesn't with my Ritchey.

While I think I can save about 1 lb with some component changes, I think that's about it. It's my belief that most of the weight is in the frame.

She likes it, and rides it, which is what counts, so I don't point out my own complaints. But I'm not terribly impressed with the frame weight. It's like gas-pipe. Would have probably come out better on weight with a Surly, which are not known for being particularly light. Oh well.
Old 07-05-16, 05:48 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weigh them on a scale FFS.
Old 07-05-16, 06:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I picked up a 1996 bianchi volpe recently and rebuilt it. I thought the bike and the parts were well thought out for its intended use which is an all rounder that might see touring duty. Not a light bike but certainly not a heavy one in its category (a steel touring bike). I also think the bike handles exceptionally well.
Old 07-05-16, 09:10 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by flargle
Weigh them on a scale FFS.
Maybe someday. I don't want to break them down to do so. Adding up component weights though leads me to the conclusion that the frame is much, much heavier than my Ritchey.
Old 07-06-16, 12:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I like Volpes. They fit the category as it has been for ages. It's built from components that will last and has features for light touring or commuting. It certainly has zero effort spent making it light weight, though. It's not unique, there are similar bikes of various trim levels from other manufacturers throughout the ages, but maybe it's unique to have survived so long.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-06-16, 05:37 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

She likes her bike. I like it.

Given the popularity, I was quite stunned by the weight, particularly when compared to what seemed a comparable bike in my Ritchey Breakaway CX.
Old 07-10-16, 06:47 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you're comparing a higher end performance cx bike with an off the shelf average touring bike. apples to oranges. it's great that your wife likes it.
Old 07-10-16, 12:31 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by aquateen
you're comparing a higher end performance cx bike with an off the shelf average touring bike. apples to oranges. it's great that your wife likes it.
Hmmm. Guess I never considered my Ritchey a higher end bike. My favorite bike, sure, but it's kind of neat to also think of it as high end.

I'm going to put my wife's bike on a weight loss plan. Starting with the wheels. After that, the crank and fork. We'll see how much I can shed off it.

I'd like to get it close to my Ritchey in weight.
Old 07-10-16, 01:27 PM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i wouldn't recommend that. touring bikes are built heavy for a reason; thick tubing is used so that they can carry heavy luggage. you will end up spending a lot of money for not much gain. that being said, you said your wife was already happy with the bike. why change anything?
Old 07-11-16, 04:45 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Because. And it's not a "true" touring bike. Designated as an all-rounder, I really expected something a bit lighter. Not a featherweight, but lighter.

I think the fork might be the main culprit. The front end is H-E-A-V-Y.

Perhaps one of the Tange Prestige forks will shed some weight. I have a Tange Infinity fork on one of my bikes that doesn't feel nearly as heavy on the front end. Certainly a CF fork will improve things, but for a lot more money.
Old 07-11-16, 07:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Just recently got one for the wife, since she wanted an all-rounder to take up cycling. She likes it.
She likes it, and rides it, which is what counts.
She likes her bike.
Designated as an all-rounder, I really expected something a bit lighter. Not a featherweight, but lighter.

So you continually say she likes it, but its too heavy for your standards and expectations, so its time to mess with it.
Old 07-11-16, 08:46 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So you continually say she likes it, but its too heavy for your standards and expectations, so its time to mess with it.
I like to tinker.

Besides, like many, she started wanting a "do everything" bike, despite my advice to the contrary. As she rides, she gains confidence, and is talking about entering events, rather than just tooling around.

So, n+1 notwithstanding, trying to preemptively make some weight reductions.

And I like to tinker. I just replaced the brakes on my Ritchey for no better reason than I want to try something else. And I'm itching to build more wheels. So, some lighter wheels are in the forecast, at a minimum. Going to replace the Tiagra/Alex rims with Dura Ace /Velocity A23.
Old 07-31-16, 05:46 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 610 Posts
'89 Volpe I finished a few weeks ago.......

Old 09-15-16, 05:47 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I like to tinker.

Besides, like many, she started wanting a "do everything" bike, despite my advice to the contrary. As she rides, she gains confidence, and is talking about entering events, rather than just tooling around.

So, n+1 notwithstanding, trying to preemptively make some weight reductions.

And I like to tinker. I just replaced the brakes on my Ritchey for no better reason than I want to try something else. And I'm itching to build more wheels. So, some lighter wheels are in the forecast, at a minimum. Going to replace the Tiagra/Alex rims with Dura Ace /Velocity A23.

Have you done the wheels?..if so I'd be interested in what you went to and why..also what was your weight savings.

On another note..you mention the Volpe(a tourer) is quite heavy compared to your Ritchey..so it begs the question..how would your Ritchey do as a touring bike? (Not being a smart-a$#..I'm interested in gravel-bikes as touring conversions..the Volpe is sold as a touring/gravel bike..interested in other, similar-use bikes)
Old 09-15-16, 05:47 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
'89 Volpe I finished a few weeks ago.......

Nice..very nice.
Old 09-15-16, 04:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Nice..very nice.

Thanks, had it on CL for 2 months and only had one hit and that was a tire kicker. I may mothball it and try to find an '89-ish Volpe frame in my size next year.
Old 09-15-16, 09:53 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Re-configured the Volpe with Dura Ace hubs and Velocity A23 rims, and replaced the very heavy cassette with a 105 cassette.

Now the fundamental difference between our bikes is the crank; my Ritchey has an Ultegra triple, and the Volpe has a Tiagra triple.

The Volpe is still noticeably heavier...the frame seems to be the source of most of the weight at this point. But it is noticeably lighter than it was.

I think the Ritchey would do exactly as well as the Volpe on tour. The Volpe's only advantage is the mid - fork eyelets.
Old 09-15-16, 09:59 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Maybe someday. I don't want to break them down to do so. Adding up component weights though leads me to the conclusion that the frame is much, much heavier than my Ritchey.

Just get on a scale holding the bike and not. Then subtract. Why would you need to break them down? Or do you want to know the difference in weight of the frames only?
Old 09-15-16, 10:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Weigh yourself. Pick the bike up and weigh yourself plus the bike. Subtract the first result from the second, and it gives you the weight of the bike plus twice the experimental error of the scale (which is probably less than a pound).
Old 09-15-16, 10:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Just get on a scale holding the bike and not. Then subtract. Why would you need to break them down? Or do you want to know the difference in weight of the frames only?
Woops.
Old 09-15-16, 10:05 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Lol
Old 09-19-16, 08:00 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Frame only is what I'm curious about. Now that the components are darn near equalized, I want to figure out where that porkiness is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.