Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 06-04-20, 01:48 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
53 miler from Point Loma to Swamis, and back.
i see this and i immediately think ipa's. am i in the wrong here? my bad...

Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-04-20, 01:39 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
[QUOTE=ooga-booga;21514293]
Hill repeats. Tip of Point Loma (Cabrillo Monument) down to the tide pools.[/QUOTE]

ouch. "open" again..?
Yes.
But I always pedal BEFORE business hours, around 6:30 a.m.. And now entry at that hour appears to be hit and miss, which may be a temporary thing due to the whole protest \ riot situation.
Monday access denied by federal police. Tuesday and Wednesday other cyclists reported that it was accessible. But this morning access denied again. Not sure how this will shake out.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-04-20, 04:41 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

[QUOTE=Nachoman;21515214]
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
Yes.
But I always pedal BEFORE business hours, around 6:30 a.m.. And now entry at that hour appears to be hit and miss, which may be a temporary thing due to the whole protest \ riot situation.
Monday access denied by federal police. Tuesday and Wednesday other cyclists reported that it was accessible. But this morning access denied again. Not sure how this will shake out.
just rode up there today based on your post + needed to pick up the yearly nps pass with places reopening. they have new “no admittance” outside of regular park hours portable/foldable signs just outside the entrance station.

hit the monument around 2pm. there were 10 cars in the parking lot and i was the only one at the historic old lighthouse at the top
of the hill.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-04-20, 04:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

[QUOTE=ooga-booga;21515505]

just rode up there today based on your post + needed to pick up the yearly nps pass with places reopening. they have new “no admittance” outside of regular park hours portable/foldable signs just outside the entrance station.

hit the monument around 2pm. there were 10 cars in the parking lot and i was the only one at the historic old lighthouse at the top
of the hill.
Did you at least do some hill repeats while you were out there?

Old 06-04-20, 07:00 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
27-miler around metro san diego...maiden voyage for the 1988 nishiki olympic 58cm steel fresh build.

I enjoy reading about everyone's rides, especially the climbs. Going to try going up Baldy road to the village for the first time next week. Have done GRR to Baldy a few times, went to Icehouse last week as prep. Anyways, your Olympic looks really sharp! I had one as a teenager, but it wasn't anything close to what you've done. I don't mean to hijack this thread in to a big discussion about your build, but was wondering if you would mind listing what gearing and wheelset you used. I'm considering upgrading the rear of my Ironman to a cassette, currently have a 7 speed 14-28 freewheel, so I'm curious how easy it was to get yours to fit. I also need to decide if it's too expensive for me to do this, as your components look very nice. I'll continue to research the Classic and Vintage forum for ideas, but your bike looked too good to pass up the opportunity to ask about the build.
Old 06-04-20, 09:14 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I did an Oceanside harbor to Solano Bch roundtrip today. I'm trying to increase my range and it was my first time venturing south of Encinitas. The new bikeway is interesting. It's nice to see some investment to facilitate bikes. Pretty stark contrast to Oceanside where the best they can do is painting sharrows on some side streets. The construction chaos continues at La Costa.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-04-20, 11:48 PM
diphthong

[QUOTE=Nachoman;21515517]
Did you at least do some hill repeats while you were out there?
wasn’t brave enuff to hit the tidepools. i was on mile 30 entering into cabrillo nm, hadn’t had a bite to eat in approx 21 hours and was hoping to score some slices of pizza at the pizza port in ocean beach before they ran out. got the last two slices: one cheese, one pepperoni.

in other news, the short descent down ladera street running between cornish drive and sunset cliffs blvd is in desperate shape between the cracks, pothole and large hummock halfway down the hill, it’s gotten really dangerous. they’ve done so much repaving in the area lately. hoping they redo that stretch before someone gets seriously injured.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-05-20 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 11:57 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by adamhenry
I did an Oceanside harbor to Solano Bch roundtrip today. I'm trying to increase my range and it was my first time venturing south of Encinitas. The new bikeway is interesting. It's nice to see some investment to facilitate bikes. Pretty stark contrast to Oceanside where the best they can do is painting sharrows on some side streets. The construction chaos continues at La Costa.
the new bikeway past cardiff state beach is interesting. on one hand, there is no longer any parallel automobile parking on that stretch so no chance of doorings or someone walking out from behind a vw bus with a longboard into your path. on the other hand, it was really dangerous when the raised curbs were the same color as the new pavement before markings were added (heard there were a few serious cyclist crashes during this time). it seems like the new bike lane will benefit the casual cyclist much more than the speed demons (of which there are many along that stretch). i think the “serious” roadies will end up eschewing the new separated bike lane and just riding that part mixed with auto traffic.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-05-20 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 03:11 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by stilllearning
I enjoy reading about everyone's rides, especially the climbs. Going to try going up Baldy road to the village for the first time next week. Have done GRR to Baldy a few times, went to Icehouse last week as prep. Anyways, your Olympic looks really sharp! I had one as a teenager, but it wasn't anything close to what you've done. I don't mean to hijack this thread in to a big discussion about your build, but was wondering if you would mind listing what gearing and wheelset you used. I'm considering upgrading the rear of my Ironman to a cassette, currently have a 7 speed 14-28 freewheel, so I'm curious how easy it was to get yours to fit. I also need to decide if it's too expensive for me to do this, as your components look very nice. I'll continue to research the Classic and Vintage forum for ideas, but your bike looked too good to pass up the opportunity to ask about the build.
heading into the baldy area, you’ll want a 30 or 32 as a bailout gear if you can integrate it into your current setup. might entail purchasing a long cage front derailleur if you’re not already rocking one. potential $150-$200 investment all told for a suitable cassette and long cage front der will be invaluable when you inevitably hit that mountain wall.

private messaged you about the 1988 nishiki olympic build.
Old 06-05-20, 05:34 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Stayed local to me in La Habra Hgts and Whittier Hills. Actually had some drizzle. Not enough to make me 'bad azz' but enough to make the bike dirty. Probably one of the last few cool days we'll have for awhile. 47 miles and 6K of climb.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5044909321
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-05-20, 11:17 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Lots of san diegans in the house!
I have a love hate for the roads around here, so many hills, especially where I bike before work in poway. Scripps to espola 20 mile round trip will get your heart pumping with all the climbs.
Likes For N2motorsports:
Old 06-07-20, 07:48 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Stayed local to me in La Habra Hgts and Whittier Hills. Actually had some drizzle. Not enough to make me 'bad azz' but enough to make the bike dirty. Probably one of the last few cool days we'll have for awhile. 47 miles and 6K of climb.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5044909321
What you call a light drizzle, I called a fierce winter storm and postponed my saturday ride to sunday.

Old 06-07-20, 07:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

What you call a light drizzle, I called a fierce winter storm and postponed my saturday ride to sunday.
Yeah, took over an hour to clean the drive train of greasy grit. Heading out in a bit for some sunshine riding in the hills. Imagine Pt Loma should be perfect today. Enjoy your ride. Safe trails!
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-07-20, 01:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Swami's. 52 miles.

Likes For Nachoman:
Old 06-07-20, 03:38 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Swami's. 52 miles.
I'm ready for a half century, where is swami's at. I just think of the breakfast joint in la mesa, but they dont have views like that!
Old 06-07-20, 04:00 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I'm off the bike for a couple more days. BB issues and waiting for the new one to arrive on Monday. Hopefully I can get out on Tuesday.
Old 06-07-20, 04:18 PM
CAT7RDR

Did a loop around Turnbull Cyn, SGRT, Sierra Madre/Foothill, Up/Down San Dimas Cyn, Via Verde, Grand, Brea Cyn/Pathfinder.
70 miles and 5K of climb. I was good for 30 miles then the dreaded BB creak started and got progressively creakier.
^^^^^No crank play at the start then by mile 50 about a half inch of play. At least we get a warning.
Awesome day for a ride. San Dimas Cyn Park had running water and shade so a nice respite before heading back.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32921905
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-07-20, 09:56 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
50 miles Simi Valley Thousand Oaks Moorpark
Likes For bigd777:
Old 06-08-20, 07:09 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Originally Posted by N2motorsports
I'm ready for a half century, where is swami's at. I just think of the breakfast joint in la mesa, but they dont have views like that!
Encinitas.

Old 06-09-20, 01:57 PM
TakingMyTime

The last 2 days have been 2 rides with the wife down to Seal Beach and back. Back in October she was hit by a car while riding and she's just now getting the courage to get back on a bike. We'll be taking baby steps for a little while until she can regain her confidence and some muscle. So no streets for her right now. Just a bike path.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-10-20, 12:03 AM
diphthong

brought the bike up to idyllwild on a quick getaway thinking i'd be able to break off a climb of hwy 243 or hwy 74 (construction east of mountain home station/243 & 74 junction) or even
a little nibble around town for views, fresh air and smiles. nein. just nein. had to settle for an upper-80's slogfest around metro san diego and the waterfront once back in town. current status: grumpy.
Old 06-10-20, 07:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

brought the bike up to idyllwild on a quick getaway thinking i'd be able to break off a climb of hwy 243 or hwy 74 (construction east of mountain home station/243 & 74 junction) or even
a little nibble around town for views, fresh air and smiles. nein. just nein. had to settle for an upper-80's slogfest around metro san diego and the waterfront once back in town. current status: grumpy.
There's always loops around Fiesta Island. I heard it opened today or yesterday.

Old 06-10-20, 07:14 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
71 miles Simi Valley Moorpark camarillo
Likes For bigd777:
Old 06-11-20, 04:23 AM
diphthong

There's always loops around Fiesta Island. I heard it opened today or yesterday.
fiesta island is a cycling resource obvs but i miss riding through balboa park (at low speed) much much more. i'm prob in the minority tho.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-11-20, 08:52 PM
TakingMyTime

From Huntington Beach to Crystal cove. 35 miles. It was killing me today. I left without any breakfast and on top of that I did not sleep well the night before. If I hadn't been riding with 2 friends I think I would have turned back a lot earlier. I was depleted.
Likes For TakingMyTime:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.