Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TV while on trainer

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TV while on trainer

Old 10-27-19, 04:39 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
TV while on trainer

This winter I plan on doing more easy rides on the trainer. I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated trainer room and my trainer is connected to Apple TV (on a small monitor). I want to get another small monitor, hook it up to a firestick and be able to watch something on TV.

Is there a simple way to connect the monitor to wireless earbud? I don't want those big wireless headphones.

Also, if anyone has a similar setup please give me any advice you may have based on your experience.
Old 10-27-19, 05:32 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
If you get a Roku stick, you can use the roku app to stream the audio from your phone to Bluetooth headphones. There’s a tiny lag but it works seamlessly, that’s what i so while on the trainer. Not sure if newer fire sticks have the same function.
Old 10-27-19, 06:18 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Well generally, you'd use a bluetooth transmitter. But I think most of those connect to the optical/USB/RCA ports on your TV. I'd imagine your monitor is just going to have HDMI and maybe displayport. Is there a reason you want to get a small monitor vice a small TV? Should be around the same price, and then you can snag up a bluetooth transmitter for around $20-$30 from Amazon or wherever.

Two pretty good brands: Avantree aptX Bluetooth Transmitter / TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter
Old 10-27-19, 06:51 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Well generally, you'd use a bluetooth transmitter. But I think most of those connect to the optical/USB/RCA ports on your TV. I'd imagine your monitor is just going to have HDMI and maybe displayport. Is there a reason you want to get a small monitor vice a small TV? Should be around the same price, and then you can snag up a bluetooth transmitter for around $20-$30 from Amazon or wherever.

Two pretty good brands: Avantree aptX Bluetooth Transmitter / TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter
Thanks. I can certainly use a small TV. It'll be sitting right beside my bike so I don't want something big.
Old 10-28-19, 07:44 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Or get a TV with Bluetooth audio built in.
Old 10-28-19, 10:38 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
A few strategies -
1) Phone has TV media - beam phone / tablet to new TV.
2) PIP on TV - doesn' t help your audio, but does reduce screens.

If you have BT headphones
1) BT transmitter. THese are powered off of TV's USB port. Either Toslink/Optical, HDMI ARC, RCA, or 3.5mm. The Toslink is probably better than the RCA or 3.5mm and cheaper than the HDMI. RCA and 3.5mm will be harder to switch to tv speaker because you usually have to pull the plug. There are tons of them on Amazon.
2) Roku / FIre stick to run media

If you don't have BT headphones
1) You might need to get a BT transmitter and base. Or something your phone can receive.
2) beam to phone - Tunity app

Also consider
TV vs Computer Monitor - the tv screen will be better at motion in videos, have a remote, better speakers, and more outputs. Computer monitor will be lighter.
Old 10-28-19, 09:15 PM
Goofball

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Headphones connected to stereo playing a blue oyster cult c.d. television tuned to "the price is right"
Likes For Goofball:
Old 10-28-19, 09:59 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Closed caption
Old 01-06-20, 09:58 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and have some low latency headpones. Makes sure the bluetooth earbuds you buy say aptX low latency. I had headphones that don't, and there is noticeable sync issue between sound and video.

You can also try Zwift.
Old 01-06-20, 03:01 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I just use an iPad when I want to watch TV while trainering. Easy BT there.
Old 01-06-20, 08:33 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I also find the iPad to be a good solution
Old 01-07-20, 12:23 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
This winter I plan on doing more easy rides on the trainer. I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated trainer room and my trainer is connected to Apple TV (on a small monitor). I want to get another small monitor, hook it up to a firestick and be able to watch something on TV.

Is there a simple way to connect the monitor to wireless earbud? I don't want those big wireless headphones.

Also, if anyone has a similar setup please give me any advice you may have based on your experience.
1) If your TV has bluetooth you will most likely be able to connect it to your earless buds<

Didn't get to use my trainer yet, but when I will, I will connect it to my Macbook Pro that I'll put in front of my bike on a tablet in the living room, and leave my 65'' on the wall connected to the 5.1 home theatre for Youtube Neighbours don't like me.
Old 01-08-20, 07:29 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually use IPad for trainer and use TV. Sometimes I use Apple TV which has BT capability. I tried to use HDMI BT transmitter, poor quality and an annoying lag in sound.
Old 01-08-20, 10:13 PM
Ferrarif2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My set up is
Roku Tv
iphone with Roku app
lightning headphones
ipad mini

I connect my iPhone to the Roku TV through the Roku app which will allow me to use earbuds to listen to the tv and I control my trainer with the iPad mini. I have a handle bar mount for my iPhone and it all works out very well. Quick to setup and I’m up and watching whatever I have, which is typically Cyclocross at this time of year. Makes it a little easier doing intervals while others are suffering too