Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Litespeed Appalachian (54cm)?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 09:00 PM
freesafety22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i have a JAVELIN Assisi i bought from a local racer years ago. $600. it is a Ti bike with cantilever brakes. i /think/ it is 54 cm. it’s like perfect for me.

is the litespeed appalachian a good bike for me if i am trying to get a good workout on some other terrain?

i guess there is also a litespeed CX but it sounds like cyclocross is not really what i am looking for since i don’t plan to do any races?

thoughts?!

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
Old 05-23-20, 08:04 PM
DCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on what kind of terrain your'e going for, but a litespeed appalachian was quietly one of the best production frames ever made, during the few years that they were produced.

They were marketed as a sort of cross bike, sort of touring bike, so didn't sell well in the late 90's. Of course, they are gravel bikes as we know them today, with a classic profile, and the best welds you'll find on a ti bike anywhere.

They'll fit up to about 38s, which will be pretty good for most gravel riding but it isn't a bikepacking bike.
Likes For DCycle:
Old 05-23-20, 08:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Excellent bike, as DCycle noted it is probably similar to a slightly older gravel bike before they went fully fat tire which seems to be the norm now. It will be fairly quick and incredibly comfortable and will be sturdy enough to travel most places. I only run 38s on my gravel bike that I bikepack with but that's cause I view the term as more of a minimalist packed touring over paved, dirt, gravel and other varied terrain.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-23-20, 09:39 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Pics?