Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

All you need is ????

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

All you need is ????

Old 06-25-20, 02:47 PM
Gigatt21

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All you need is ????

Being new to biking, over my prime and way over my weight target I'm just curious as I read through some of the other threads.....
Besides two legs, a bike and a helmet, what do any of you suggest is the minimum necessities for riding to get into better shape and have fun?
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Gigatt21; 06-26-20 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 02:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Attitude.
Riding around the neighborhood might be better than sitting on the couch, but you need extended miles, long term commitment, and real efforts to see real results.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-25-20, 03:16 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 115 Posts
Make sure everything on the bike is adjusted for you.

If you're comfortable on the bike you'll ride more often and farther.I

Water bottle or bottles on bike so you stay hydrated.

Have nice interesting routes (that's Routes , plural), so you don't bored and lose interest.
Old 06-25-20, 03:28 PM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Before you ride just inhale a monster gator tail of medical grade Colombian marching powder and you will do just fine. Just kidding. Since I just turned 50 I just try to keep things consistent. You will be surprised how quickly you get stronger and can do longer distances. Bike setup also helped me. Once my bike was dialed in it was as if it disappeared when I started to ride or maybe it was the powder kicking in. Who knows.
Likes For saddlesniffer:
Old 06-25-20, 03:34 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
When I began cycling I was very poor physical condition so that 200 yards was a struggle. Through determination (stubbornness) I kept at it over weeks and months and the miles began to accumulate on rides from 10, then 20 and 40 miles. On a 40 mile loop I was 20 miles from the house. It occurred to me that a mechanical failure on lightly traveled rural roads could have bad consequences. Gradually I added spare equipment as experience increased.

If you are intending to cross Asia on the old Silk Road, you will want a lot of extra stuff. For a typical day ride, say 40 to 65 miles, a tube patch kit and an extra tube, I usually carry an extra worn folding tire, a quick chain link and a few spare links, and some tools consisting of 3 allen wrenches to fit everthing on the bike, a tiny vicegrip and a screwdriver. For a weekend tour, further from home, a few more tools.
Old 06-25-20, 03:39 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Some odds and ends you'll need sooner or later depending how you ride:
water bottlle, as others mentioned maybe a priority
tire patch kit
floor pump
multi tool
bar bag or under saddle bag to carry tools, snack
tail light
headlight (I seldom use mine, but I do get caught out at dusk occasionally.)
A pleasant voice to announce "On your left"

you don't need all that now. Take some time to get comfortable on the bike. I just rode the neighborhood first year I got mine.then got a car rack and drove out to uncrowded roads. It was years before I bothered with a jersey or padded shorts, though I ride longer now and appreciate them.

good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by bargeon; 06-25-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 07:53 PM
vlad1xxi

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You need proper cycling shorts/tights/jersey/jacket/half finger gloves/full finger gloves and helmet. You need besides floor air pump hand pump or CO2 inflators along with spire tubes if your bike has clincher wheels. You need saddle bag to keep your stuff and cycling computer. If you will like cycling very much probably you will need cycling home trainer as well for workout during winter months but it’s not a top priority for beginner in summer time. Good luck! Enjoy your rides and increase distance gradually.

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 06-25-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:08 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Pump and a air gauge, a helmet, and a water bottle. I also like to wear eye protection -- regular sunglasses or the cheapest clear safety glasses at Target/Walmart. Grab a bike multi-tool while you're there.

Beyond that just ride. Get the saddle height right and ride some more. When I started up again in my mid 40's I was amazed when I went 4 or 5 miles. I'm in my 60's now and 15 to 20 miles is just a ride after work and before dinner.
Old 06-25-20, 09:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Time. You need time to ride. And usually most people only have the time they make. Vary your rides throughout the week. Some hard, some easy. Some long some short. Don't rush to get gizmos unless it will motivate you more to get caught up in the numbers games. No matter what you make of the data they give you it still boils down to....... ride more! Though overtraining is a thing, but that's a later question to answer.

Besides that, take plenty of water with you. When you get to riding two to three or more hours, you might want to consider adding a carbohydrate mix and maybe some electrolytes to your water (salt will do).
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-25-20, 09:35 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Yes, padded shorts or underwear is an absolute must. Pretty much right after helmet and possibly as important as water bottle ; )
Old 06-26-20, 02:57 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
All of the above plus >>>

C - Cash

CC - Credit Card

CP - Cell Phone
Old 06-26-20, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigatt21
Being new to biking, over my prime and way over my weight target I'm just curios as I read through some of the other threads.....
Besides two legs, a bike and a helmet, what do any of you suggest is the minimum necessities for riding to get into better shape and have fun?
Thanks for your input.
Not to be a Captain Bringdown, but since you consider a helmet, "fun," as usual on such threads, even after 10 replies, no one recommends a rearview mirror. Many subscribers comment that they don't leave home without it.

For us the added security adds to the fun...reflect on that.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-26-20 at 05:26 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-26-20, 07:27 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
All of the above, plus-a saddle which works FOR YOU. Noone can tell you which one it might be-there are as many opinions as there are saddles!! The one thing I think most will agree on is that you do not want an overly padded saddle. If overly padded, once you start to sink into it, and the outside edges start to "sink" due to your weight on it, then the middle may become higher than where your sit bones are perched, and will cause pressure where you don't want it! Many threads on saddles here which may be helpful, as well as your LBS.
Old 06-26-20, 01:26 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you roadsnakes. I appreciate your input, especially about the routes. Good point!
Old 06-26-20, 01:28 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting concept to getting started!
Old 06-26-20, 01:31 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Valuable advise. Thanks.
Just curious..... Do you keep all these tools on your bike in a pouch? I've seen a lot of articles about bike theft and locking your bike up. Isn't that true too for the bike bags? Your thoughts.
Old 06-26-20, 01:34 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks bargeon. I appreciate the input. All good advise.
Don't know how fast I'll be getting around to the "on your left" comments. Probably will hear it more than say it for a while.
Old 06-26-20, 03:31 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
In addition to a flat kit you also need the knowledge of how to use it. Sooner or later you will flat and sitting on the side of the road trying to figure how to change a bicycle tire is not an ideal learning environment. There are plenty of videos on YouTube detailing the steps. It isn't hard but you need to know what you're doing. I would recommend practicing it at home so when it does happen it is no big deal and you'll be on your way in no time.
Likes For August West:
Old 06-26-20, 05:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A bicycle co-op can be #1 , a great place to get some things inexpensively and #2 , have someone teach you how to do minor roadside repairs.

I carry a patch kit, a pump and a spare inner tube. If it's really hot or raining I just take the punctured tube off the wheel, check the tire fro sharp debris (a cotton ball works great for that) and put the new tube in. then I patch the old tube at home or wherever I'm spending the night if on an overnight ride. A rearview mirror is quite helpful in traffic. I use a takealook mirror on my sunglasses or a helmet mounted mirror.

Oh, some bike shops host basic repair seminars or might make arrangements to teach you.

Cheers
Old 06-26-20, 05:13 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
GPS cycling computer with heart rate monitor and a subscription to Strava, keeps track of your improvements, miles, heart rate etc and shows you how you are doing compared to others.
Old 06-26-20, 06:03 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Just ride.

Look, there are all kinds of stuff you can buy, but don’t use it as an excuse not to get out and ride.
Right now getting out several times a week, even for a few miles, it most important.
Eventually you will discover what you want to bring with you.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-27-20, 03:04 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
A bell is an essential. I know they can seem a bit dorky, but if you ever plan to use the multi use paths, while shouting is often required for some. A simple few tings with your bell will alert most pedestrians.

Initially your body will need to get used to cycling. Recommend max 1 hour per day, but most important is to ride and gradually build up distance and keep riding. Keep it fun, ride different routes and set yourself achievable goals. The worst thing you can do is push too hard, obtain an injury that stops you riding for a while. Don't worry about numbers, don't stare at a cycle computer, just ride for the fun of riding even if at times you'll be sweating buckets while wishing you had more lung capacity to breath and asking yourself 'what the heck am I doing this for'.

Remember that cycling is part of a life style - Cycling won't 'magically' make you lose weight. Good diet goes hand in hand with exorcise, but because you'll be cycling more you'll be able to give yourself the odd treat as you'll most likely burn most of it off on your next ride.

Put on your best amount of willpower because there are going to be some days where you are really not going to want to ride, but often if you can push through these mental blocks you'll feel better afterwards.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 06-27-20, 01:57 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Patience. It took years for you to be in the shape you are now, give yourself time to revert. One great thing though, if you will push yourself a bit more each time, you will find yourself jumping in ability.

One other think, weight loss is mostly diet. Learn to eat right or your appetite can soar with your activity.
Likes For crtreedude:
Old 06-27-20, 06:10 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wise advise August West regarding practicing at home first.

Thanks
Old 06-27-20, 06:20 PM
Gigatt21

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks JayKay3000. I appreciate the simplicity of your advise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.