Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Talking with police about traffic violation

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 09:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Ugh ... I find it stressful to call the police to report a traffic violation. More often than not, I end up educating the officer about laws for riding a bike on the roads. Sometimes I have a receptive officer other times they are openly dismissive. I have no expectation of a citation for the driver, I do ask the PD to call the owner of the vehicle and inform them that a bike is a legal vehicle on the road and that 3 feet is the minimum required space while passing. Today's officer was receptive but I needed to have statutes in front of me, since he was unaware of them. .... just needed to vent it out a little.

Since this is BF ... I know this could get into a few rabbitholes, so I'll share additional information: Statute 169.18, Subdivision 3: (3) the operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or individual proceeding in the same direction on the roadway shall leave a safe distance, but in no case less than three feet clearance, when passing the bicycle or individual and shall maintain clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

Bicyclists are considered traffic based on Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 84 and have the same rights and responsibilities applicable to the driver of a vehicle according to Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 1.
Minnesota Statute 169.011 states: "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.
Reference: https://www.bikemn.org/education/min...20a%20roadway.

GoPro video of the pass that got me to call the police:

Postscript: just talked to the officer again. He contacted the driver, who claimed I was weaving unpredictably. Sadly the officer had no interest in the video which clearly shows no weaving. The only good take away from this effort is two more people are aware that 3 feet are required when passing a person using a bike on the road.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-25-20 at 09:20 AM. Reason: postscript
Old 08-25-20, 09:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Definitely a close pass when it was clear that the driver could have moved over. My experience calling the police is that, although it may be a way for me to vent, it never results in satisfaction. 1) They decline to view the video, 2) they tell me that they cannot cite if they do not witness, and 3) I usually get a lecture about how cyclists don't follow the traffic rules.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-25-20, 10:50 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Less effective option

Thanks for making the effort to make the call. You are right; two more people informed.

This is not as effective, but reporting on www.closecalldatabase.com may have some value for repeat offenders.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-25-20, 10:55 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by flangehead
Thanks for making the effort to make the call. You are right; two more people informed.

This is not as effective, but reporting on www.closecalldatabase.com may have some value for repeat offenders.
I've posted here before and tried today, but I get an error "502 Bad Gateway"
Old 08-25-20, 11:47 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I think the closecalldatabase is offline, unfortunately.

Cyliq has their site, but I don't know if they allow non-cycliq video to be uploaded.

The other good thing about making that call is that the driver now knows people are watching. As common as they are these days, lots of drivers still don't seem to realize they are being filmed quite regularly.

I run a front/rear motorcycle camera on my velo, but if drivers are being...troublesome....I will still pick my phone up and aim it at them just to make the point. It's funny how they react (usually drive off quickly) when that happens, even though 1) I've already got them on my video cameras, and 2) I'm not actually using my phone to record them.
Old 08-25-20, 12:05 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
OK, I usually hate to do this, but really.

A 13 wide curb lane at a the top of a T intersection is wide enough to share with a Honda Accord.

Don't lead with your chin and then complain about the boxing referee.

There ought to be THREE people learning from this, but sadly, I suspect ZERO have.

-mr. bill
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I think the closecalldatabase is offline, unfortunately.

Cyliq has their site, but I don't know if they allow non-cycliq video to be uploaded.

The other good thing about making that call is that the driver now knows people are watching. As common as they are these days, lots of drivers still don't seem to realize they are being filmed quite regularly.

I run a front/rear motorcycle camera on my velo, but if drivers are being...troublesome....I will still pick my phone up and aim it at them just to make the point. It's funny how they react (usually drive off quickly) when that happens, even though 1) I've already got them on my video cameras, and 2) I'm not actually using my phone to record them.
You remind me of something that happened 6-8 years ago. An unmarked police car (ironically the same city as the officer I talked with today) made a dumb/illegal pass, I shouted something and made a shrug gesture (nothing vulgar). The officer turns on the lights and stops in front of me, he's clearly wants to assert authority. I lean down far enough for him to see my helmet mounted GoPro ... and that made for a very quick conversation with him wanting GTFO quickly. The best part, my GoPro flaked out on me and wasn't working that day. LOL
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Missing context

The typical problem with shared video. BTW, welcome to the inquisition.

Why were you stopped where you were in the roadway?

What had happened immediately before the clip starts? Is that the first time turning the camera on?

I understand the anger you felt as someone chose to risk your life rather than move their steering wheel another 8 degrees counter-clockwise; did you expect a different outcome?

It's unclear to me, did you catch the driver and both of you wait for police?
Old 08-25-20, 12:17 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
I have shared video, and filed complaints with 3 different PDs here in CO, and all of them have taken it seriously and cited offending drivers. (Some while cycling, others while motorcycling.)
BTW I also learned that every time you share a video here on BF, there are always nimrods who want to blame the cyclist, no matter how blatant the offense committed by the cager.
Old 08-25-20, 12:23 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
BTW I also learned that every time you share a video here on BF, there are always nimrods who want to blame the cyclist, no matter how blatant the offense committed by the cager.
There are three people in this story, the cager, the cop, and the person on the bicycle. From what I see NONE of them have learned ANYTHING.

p.s. There is a whole subforum dedicated to all lanes are substandard.

p.p.s. I don't live in a FRAP state. (See sig.) OP does.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-25-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 12:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I doubt the 'cager' learned anything, the officer learned a thing that I don't he'll ever put into practice or share again, not sure what the person on the bike needed to learn ... If I need to learn that police aren't great at advocating for people using bikes on the road ... I knew that. I also know that the road is full of people that feel entitled to use a car to intimate others. I could learn to take a different route, but I've been biking that road for ~40 years, so I'd say it not likely that I'd learn to change my route. I guess I learned I really like my GoPro, my Garmin radar, and my years of biking the roads to keep me safe around hateful people driving cars.

Funny enough, the officer made a point about asking if I was as far right as possible, I corrected him, it's "practical" not possible ... there's a difference. He really didn't like the lesson, and the length answer about not riding in the gutter since it's not safe and this road is not wide enough to pass within the lane and leave 3-ft between the bike and car.

I have enjoyed the rabbithole of lane position ...
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-25-20, 12:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
The typical problem with shared video. BTW, welcome to the inquisition.

Why were you stopped where you were in the roadway?
He was stopped at the traffic light. There are no crosswalk markings on his side of the intersection:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!4d-93.4044187
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 08-25-20, 12:57 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
He was stopped at the traffic light. There are no crosswalk markings on his side of the intersection:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!4d-93.4044187
Thank you for that, I'm used to well marked intersections, and the T intersection throws me off.
Old 08-25-20, 01:17 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I have enjoyed the rabbithole of lane position ...
If I've learned anything at all from the other subform it is:
  • ALL LANES ARE SUBSTANDARD
  • NO MATTER WHERE IN THE LANE YOU RIDE YOU RODE IN THE WRONG POSITION
(That Honda Accord is 6' 1" wide. The lane is 13' wide. Do the math.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-25-20, 01:20 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by mr_bill
  • NO MATTER WHERE IN THE LANE YOU RIDE YOU RODE IN THE WRONG POSITION
-mr. bill
Good point - this ^^^, that is exactly what I've learned from the lane position forums here.
Old 08-25-20, 01:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
p.p.s. I don't live in a FRAP state. (See sig.) OP does.

-mr. bill
Yeah, but you live in a Frappe state, whatever the hell a frappe is.

It's a milk shake, dammit!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-20, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Funny enough, the officer made a point about asking if I was as far right as possible, I corrected him, it's "practical" not possible ... there's a difference...
Actually, it's "practicable", but I think the difference between practical and practicable is that saying practicable makes you sound drunk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-25-20, 01:36 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's a milk shake, dammit!
As I quickly learned here, a milkshake is milk and a syrup, whipped in a blender. It is - underwhelming.
A frappe is the above with ice cream.

Why? I think so locals can laugh at tourists, but I don't know.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-25-20, 01:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Actually, it's "practicable", but I think the difference between practical and practicable is that saying practicable makes you sound drunk.
Thanks for the reminder, I've know this, but kinda forget since nobody knows the word 'practicable'.

That Honda Accord is 6' 1" wide. The lane is 13' wide. Do the math.
-mr. bill
FWIW - we have 10 to 12 foot wide lanes. This road on the narrow side, but I don't have the exact measure.
Old 08-25-20, 03:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
There appears to be no reason the car should not have moved over to the other lane to pass. While some people might think you should have been elsewhere...... you weren't. You were where you had a legal right to be. Whether others think you shouldn't have been there, it makes no difference. The law says you can be there.

You were there, the car should not have been that close..
Old 08-25-20, 04:23 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

THIS ^^^^

Thanks!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 08-25-20, 04:24 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Ugh ... I find it stressful to call the police to report a traffic violation. More often than not, I end up educating the officer about laws for riding a bike on the roads. Sometimes I have a receptive officer other times they are openly dismissive. I have no expectation of a citation for the driver, I do ask the PD to call the owner of the vehicle and inform them that a bike is a legal vehicle on the road and that 3 feet is the minimum required space while passing. Today's officer was receptive but I needed to have statutes in front of me, since he was unaware of them. .... just needed to vent it out a little.

Since this is BF ... I know this could get into a few rabbitholes, so I'll share additional information: Statute 169.18, Subdivision 3: (3) the operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or individual proceeding in the same direction on the roadway shall leave a safe distance, but in no case less than three feet clearance, when passing the bicycle or individual and shall maintain clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

Bicyclists are considered traffic based on Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 84 and have the same rights and responsibilities applicable to the driver of a vehicle according to Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 1.
Minnesota Statute 169.011 states: "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.
Reference: https://www.bikemn.org/education/min...20a%20roadway.

GoPro video of the pass that got me to call the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKAc0HId6g

Postscript: just talked to the officer again. He contacted the driver, who claimed I was weaving unpredictably. Sadly the officer had no interest in the video which clearly shows no weaving. The only good take away from this effort is two more people are aware that 3 feet are required when passing a person using a bike on the road.
Outstanding takeaway.
At that rate you might get 18% of your town informed by the year 3039
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-26-20, 07:43 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
There appears to be no reason the car should not have moved over to the other lane to pass. While some people might think you should have been elsewhere...... you weren't. You were where you had a legal right to be. Whether others think you shouldn't have been there, it makes no difference. The law says you can be there.

You were there, the car should not have been that close..
Exactly. The drivers around here get constantly reminded of that, particularly in the city of Layton. There are "Bikes may use full lane" signs all over the place to keep reminding them.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 08-26-20, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Exactly. The drivers around here get constantly reminded of that, particularly in the city of Layton. There are "Bikes may use full lane" signs all over the place to keep reminding them.
We have a few of those signs too. There need to be more of them.

Cyclist need to learn the rules of the road too. It only takes a few that are oblivious of everything but themselves to P.O. motorist's towards all.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-26-20, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Why do you have to swear in your video? very immature
Likes For Mr. 66:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.