Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to keep jacket and extra gear?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-09-20, 04:16 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Where do people keep a light jacket and extra snacks etc. when going on longer rides? I have an aero wedge seat post bag for daily use which is perfect, but not big enough for extra snacks and certainly not a light wind jacket on the colder mornings. I also don’t think a jacket is fitting in my jersey pockets. Does anyone ride with one of those larger seat post bags that extend quite a bit? Some are in the 3-10L range. I would think 3-5L would be perfect to stuff some stuff in, but don’t want to add too much excess weight or bulk. I don’t think a frame bag works given the water bottle holders.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-20, 04:41 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
There are lots of bag/rack solutions. My preferred always-on-bike bag is this guy, with the supporting rack:

https://builtbyswift.com/shop/zeitgeist-bag/

Room for tools, room for large smartphones, room for stuff, can have an organizer in there. The proverbial Bag of Holding. Best of all, can be mounted on any bike with a saddle, the rack only needs 1" of saddle rail space IIRC.
Old 09-09-20, 05:15 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
A cycling-specific jacket, when rolled up properly, should easily fit in a jersey pocket. If it does not, perhaps yours isn't cycling-specific? In any case, with some velcro straps you can roll it up and strap it underneath the top tube.

Snacks go into a top tube bag, easiest place to access while riding without needing to stop and fiddle with.

You really don't need an oversized saddle bag unless you're doing a multi-day ride (either as part of light touring, randonneuring, or ultra-racing)... but if you really want to consider those, check out Apidura's racing line, or Topeak's Backloader line.

Last edited by atwl77; 09-09-20 at 05:21 AM.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 09-09-20, 05:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Have you tried fitting your jacket in your jersey pocket? I’m a tall guy and my windbreaker fits in a pocket
Old 09-09-20, 06:42 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
As noted, a lightweight cycling jacket should roll up and fit in your jersey pocket with no problem.

I usually put the jacket in the middle pocket and load up the side pockets with snacks. For really long rides, I plan stops to purchase additional food and water.

Top tube and handlebar bags are also quite popular among gravel riders.
Old 09-09-20, 06:49 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you tried fitting your jacket in your jersey pocket? I’m a tall guy and my windbreaker fits in a pocket
I have...it’s very bulky in there...and it is a cycling specific jacket.
Likes For kosmo886:
Old 09-09-20, 07:21 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
I agree that stuffing a jacket in one's jersey pocket isn't ideal. I did that recently with my Pearl Izumi rain/wind jacket that packs nicely into it's own pouch and I couldn't stand riding with it stuffed in my jersey pocket. It's hard to compact a long-sleeved anything into a size so small that it's not noticeable.

Related to a different post I created regarding carrying extra water bottles, I think a good solution for temporarily needing to carry more stuff (water, clothing, snacks, etc.) is the CamelBak Chase 8 or similar backpack. I know that wearing a backpack initially sounds annoying as heck, but I've found that after a few rides with a small backpack on, I barely noticed it and it drastically increased my carrying capacity w/o adding bags and accessories to my bike. In addition, I can wear it hiking and anywhere I want extra supplies.
Old 09-09-20, 07:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I have...it’s very bulky in there...and it is a cycling specific jacket.
I wouldnt think much about the comments of a jacket not fitting into a jersey pocket isnt a real cycling jacket. There are a ton of different cycling jacket designs and packed jacket size naturally varies. The wind/rain jackets that are glorified garbage bags will pack up super small. All but the super expensive will also make you as wet underneath as it is outside. Plenty of cycling jackets and even vests dont pack small enough to comfortably store in a jersey pocket. That doesnt even address the reality that a large rolled up object isnt always very comfortable in a jersey pocket for 15-60 miles.
Old 09-09-20, 08:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Where do people keep a light jacket and extra snacks etc. when going on longer rides? I have an aero wedge seat post bag for daily use which is perfect, but not big enough for extra snacks and certainly not a light wind jacket on the colder mornings. I also don’t think a jacket is fitting in my jersey pockets. Does anyone ride with one of those larger seat post bags that extend quite a bit? Some are in the 3-10L range. I would think 3-5L would be perfect to stuff some stuff in, but don’t want to add too much excess weight or bulk. I don’t think a frame bag works given the water bottle holders.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
I have a bunch of different size bags since I use them for anything from road riding, to 6 hour gravel rides without frequent access to gas stations, to riding to/from work.
Obviously panniers are off the table as thats overkill. You can use a trendy roll-top bikepacking bag as they come in smaller sizes. There are also large wedge bags which work great. Lastly I use a feed bag on by gravel bike because it puts any snacks right at my hands and can store small stuff in the outside mesh too for quick access.

smaller roll top bag examples. there are tons more online from various brands.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...d-roll-top-bag
https://www.ortlieb.com/saddle-bag-two
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...eat-bags/Shrew
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...seat-bags/Vole

large wedge bag example.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW3 I have this and use it a handful of times a year. It is very well made and doesnt sway, even without using the stabilizing hooks.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMWEX

stem feed bag example. There are dozens of these online. Seemingly every bag company makes one. $25-60 range.
https://moosetreksbikepacking.com/pr...ebar-stem-bag/ I have this one. It is inexpensive, well made, easy to use, and holds a ton of stuff for quick access. It allows me to use a smaller wedge bag for gravel riding.
Old 09-09-20, 08:49 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Where to carry your stuff in cooler weather is one half the problem. The other half is the gear itself. Montbell, a Japanese company makes some super light weight jackets. an have I have an older model that weighs 8 ozs, just a bit more than a Tee shirt. The newer models, such as in the link weigh 5 or so ozs. and I know they pack very small and are very warm with a layer of insulation. https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...06686&gen_cd=1

Last edited by berner; 09-09-20 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For berner:
Old 09-09-20, 08:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It may be a cycling jacket, but maybe not a cycling jacket for the typical road cyclist. Might be more for the touring cyclist which use road bikes too, and is another sub-forum.

If you don't like bulky things shoved into your jersey pockets then look at all the bag options for handle bars, top tubes, saddles and even panniers..... but by that time, you are well into the other sub-forum type riding.

It's not a best dressed contest or dash down the runway for lulu lemon outfits. We won't care if you roll it up and stuff it inside the front or back of your jersey.
Old 09-09-20, 09:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
There are a zillion different bags. Bikepacking seat bags have become popular in the last couple of years with people who use race or gravel bikes on brevets. I used a Revelate Designs Pika (6-12 liters) on the Iron Porcupine 1,200k a few weeks ago. A couple of the other guys used clip-on ortlieb handlebar bags. If you go with a large saddle bag be sure to get 3-4 little stuff sacks and organize your gear so it's easy to pull everything out, find what you're looking for, and put everything back again.
Likes For kingston:
Old 09-09-20, 09:58 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Having spent years stuffing items in my jersey pockets and streamlining what I carry I have fallen for Handlebar bags. My pockets are empty and I can carry more on longer rides. Even a small barrel bag can hold 2L of stuff. Purists may frown about this however practicality wins out.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-09-20, 10:16 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I use a waterproof stuff sack and an old toe strap and stuff the jacket into it and tie it under the saddle with the toe strap.
I don’t use my heaviest cycling jackets unless I plan to wear it the entire ride, if it seems it will warm up to a nice temperature I try to use a windbreaker and arm warmers and gut-out being cold for the first hour.

It’s the 30-40F zone where it looks like it might warm up only very slowly or might rain I need something warmer.
Old 09-09-20, 10:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
You can fit a lot of stuff in jersey pockets. On a ride last week:
Left pocket: vest + long fingered gloves
Center pocket: jacket
Right pocket: warm hat + 3 gels + 3 bars
Old 09-09-20, 10:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I've used thin stretchy socks and toestraps, rolling the jacket up, stuffing it in the sock and strapping that to the underside of the seat bag. It's impressive how much I can stuff in those socks. I used to buy cross-country ski socks that were nearly knee high. Cut them at the top of the shoe. Used the foot section as is to stuff inner tubes and I wold stitch closed the ankle of the calf section for the clothing bag. Dorky old men's full calf socks are nearly the same thing and also work well. For more money and a little harder to stuff, but more durable - compression socks/

Doesn't keep muddy water off your clothes but does a good job with dry dust. Light, versatile and almost nothing when empty. Cost is an issue if you have to impress people. Makes your jacket look like a stashed tubular, so kinda cool.

Ben
Old 09-09-20, 11:07 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
It’s the 30-40F zone where it looks like it might warm up only very slowly or might rain I need something warmer.
Nah, if the temps are in that range and it's going to rain, I'm just not going out. Somehow, rain in 30-40F weather is worse than biking while it's snowing. I would much rather bike through a 2-4 inch snowstorm than through 35F with rain.

To answer OP's question, my light jacket fits nicely in my center jersey pocket with my mini-pump & multi-tool; the trick is to roll the jacket up and tuck about 2/3 of the rolled jacket into the pocket. If you try to cram the entire jacket into the jersey pocket, that's when it can get uncomfortable. Left jersey pocket is for snacks and keys. Right pocket is for ID, phone and extra snacks if needed. Spare tubes, tire levers, and CO2 gimmicks are in the saddle bag. I like the Arundel saddle bags because they attach securely, hold everything I need them to, and look nice.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 09-09-20, 11:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Oh, not a storage solution but a wonderful way to get by the first hour and have virtually nothing to lug around the rest of the day. This trick is time honored and still used by professional bike racers. Newspaper. Use a Single full sheet folded at it natural fold. Tuck the rectangle inside your jersey, over the rest of your layers and pull up so the corners start around your shoulders. Rip the center down 6" and fold back like a shirt with an open top button.

This is nearly as warm as a vest, keeps your back doing good cooling work and pulls out easily while riding. Not hard to fold and stuff into a jersey pocket while riding and if the weather changes later, can be a real blessing. (I've put that newspaper back in when rain started many times, A real help in hanging on to body heat when wet and tired.)

If you watch the pro bike racing and can find footage of the rest of the peloton cresting a high summit on a cool day, you will see riders sitting up and stuffing newspaper, just like riders did 100 years ago because 1) it works really well and 2) those riders are the lesser riders who are back in the large bunch or by themselves. They don't have a team car handing them a sponsored jacket. Their job is to finish the stage in good shape and health so they can get up tomorrow and do this work again. Means getting down the mountain and staying warm using their own resources.. A lot like what many of us have to do every ride.

If you can, select higher quality newspaper. Less print wearing off onto your jersey.

Ben
Old 09-09-20, 11:27 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
As stated above, there are a lot of options. I have an Avenir saddlebag, large, that is expandable. Not sure how much total area, but quite a bit. When it is chilly to cold, I find the need to either put on or take off clothing as the weather changes. With the expandable bag and a small top tube or handlebar bag, I can be out for hours and stay comfortable. Ortlieb makes really nice, but expensive, bags of different varieties. I use light arm/leg warmers, caps, and jackets/vests or jerseys. Not much weight and take up minimum room when compressed. I also, at times, use a small front rack a smallish bag and/or net type bungee cord. I do have a chore/beater bike that has a rear rack that I use for shopping/errands and chores.
Old 09-09-20, 11:31 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
For moderate temperatures e.g. 40˚s and warming, a vest is better than a jacket.

Most of the warmth, less flappy, & mine packs to about the size of an inner tube. The right rain jacket can also be made to fit in a jersey pocket.

For long rides, and variable conditions, it's also important to pick a jersey with bigger pockets-

some of the newer ones have stylishly little ones for a gel, a co2, and a credit card only.
Old 09-09-20, 11:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The right softshell has a pretty wide usability range. Goretex ShakeDry is a good but expensive option.

It doesn't have to be cycling specific, probably better if it's not.
Old 09-09-20, 11:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Jersey pockets for anything extra. Jackets, especially, are smaller and softer than a water bottle...
Old 09-09-20, 12:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You ca easily use a cut-down handlebar and a threadless stem to make a mount so you can out a handlebar bag behind your saddle. The threadless stem goes onto the seatpost.

Here's one I made.

After testing it, I cut down the handlebar more and used crankarm dustcaps plugs the open ends.

Cheers
Old 09-09-20, 12:31 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A toe-strap can be used to keep a fairly bulky jacket secured under the saddle.

Cheers
Old 09-09-20, 12:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A toe-strap can be used to keep a fairly bulky jacket secured under the saddle.

Cheers
We literally had a discussion about how we have to explain what a toe strap is to riders nowadays.

Discussion was in reference to strapping a water bottle to the underside of your saddle on a long ride.

OP - everyone is about bags these days. To each their own.

Personally I prefer to shove it in a jersey pocket. If it doesn't pack well into the pocket then I get a smaller jacket or a different piece of clothing that allows me to dress more appropriately for the weather so I am not needing to shed layers that don't pack away easily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.