Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Squealing brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 11:25 AM
richardaruffing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squealing brakes

wondering what are chief causes of squealing with alum rims? could it be the caliper grip angle; old brake pads; grooved pitted rims; wrong type pads; other********************???? thank you kindly, rick
Old 08-26-17, 11:29 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
You have listed everything I could come up with. If the pads aren't recent vintage, the cheapest solution is to replace the pads and clean the rims if they aren't clean already. You could try removing the pads and buffing them with sandpaper to remove any glaze but new pads with new rubber will probably work a lot better.
Old 08-26-17, 11:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
It's a new safety device they include on all new bikes, an automatic horn to warn whoever you're slamming on the brakes to avoid.

Actually the squealing is very similar to that of a new chalk on a blackboard.

It's a harmonic effect caused by a grip-then-slip action. The most common cause is related to the sharp corner on the rear edge of the shoes, combined with lack of rigidity in the arms.

When you apply the brakes the movement of the rim pushes the shoe forward, causing the arm to twist so the heel digs in. This increases the force and twisting, until it reaches a critical point, at which it snaps back to the original position and the process repeats.

This is why people to in the shoes, so the heel doesn't touch until there's enough squeezing force to hold the shoes flat and resist the twisting action. Another cure it to break (dull) the rear corners, so there's a sort of ski tip, and they don't dig in as the shoe begins to twist (why dull chalk doesn't squeak).

Of course, oiling the rim would solve the problem, but I assume you prefer being able to stop.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-26-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-26-17, 11:50 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Good, new brake pads (Kool Stop, SwissStop, etc.) are upgrades over what comes installed from the store on some stock bicycles.
Old 08-26-17, 02:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
If you took your question to the Mechanics Forum, I bet someone there would instruct you how to toe in your pads. Heck I could do it.

Loosen the bolt holding one side brake pad on. Place a penny between the back end of the brake pad and the rim and squeeze the brakes tight using the brake lever. Make sure the pad is properly aligned along the brake track and tighten the bolt. Retrieve the penny and repeat the process on the other side of the brake caliper on that wheel. Then adjust the brake caliper so the pads aren't touching the rim at their front end even though they are now closer at the front end than the rear. Repeat on the other wheel. Clean both rim brake tracks with alcohol and you are done.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-26-17, 03:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
But Do you Stop with them?
Old 08-26-17, 03:15 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by fietsbob
But Do you Stop with them?
Stop what?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-27-17, 11:52 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by richardaruffing
wondering what are chief causes of squealing with alum rims? could it be the caliper grip angle; old brake pads; grooved pitted rims; wrong type pads; other********************???? thank you kindly, rick
I just had this problem with my cross bike with cantilever's the back. Toe in was correct. I cleaned the rim with a little chain cleaner and that was the problem. Now super silent. I was pretty surprised - the rim looked clean, but the cloth I used to clean them with was really dirty after cleaning.

J.
Old 08-27-17, 11:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

I find oil can cause squealing. I always use a cleaner that removes oil and grease.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-28-17, 03:12 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Go to 3:40 and you will see how to set the toe of your pads. This should help.

-Shin
Old 08-28-17, 03:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Oils and some cleaners leave residues that can make your brakes squeal, rim or disc. If you wait long enough, they might eventually clean themselves and be silent. Operative word is "might".

If you are in a hurry, you might try some rubbing alcohol or ethanol on a rag and wipe the rims and brake pads.