Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand signals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 04:42 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I believe it is perfectly acceptable to just point in the direction you are turning with the arm/hand on the side in the direction you are turning.

Not just acceptable, but in some U.S. states a legal alternative written into the motor vehicle code.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 07-21-19, 09:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Wouldn't be surprised if many drivers have no idea what a "left hand raised" means since many haven't a clue about proper driving. POINTING pretty much is self explanatory.
Bicyclists still using a raised left arm to "signal" a right turn, are indicating that they are more interested (or obsessed) with complying with tradition or a cryptic reference in a pamphlet, than communicating any useful information to motorists about their intention to turn.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-21-19, 09:11 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bicyclists still using a raised left arm to "signal" a right turn, are indicating that they are more interested (or obsessed) with complying with tradition or a cryptic reference in a pamphlet, than communicating any useful information to motorists about their intention to turn.
It's ingrained to the point of instinct on my part. When I did it yesterday on my bicycle ride, I did it the traditional way without thinking.

Perhaps I should unlearn it, but I am from a generation where it was required knowledge to pass a driver's license test. Whether for an automobile or motorcycle license.

You ought to see me drive an automatic transmission car. I brake with my left foot to leave my right foot for the gas pedal. It goes back to driving carbureted cars and trucks that had poorly operating "automatic" chokes. Funny thing is, I can hop straight into a manual transmission car and use my feet correctly.

I was born in 1965, and the first car I learned stick shift on was my grandpa's 1938 Chrysler Royal.
Old 07-21-19, 09:12 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I used my left arm for right turns for a long time just because that's what I learned in my youth and old habits die hard.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-21-19, 09:25 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by jon c.
I used my left arm for right turns for a long time just because that's what I learned in my youth and old habits die hard.
Yep, apparently it's gone the way of semaphore or Morse code, though.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-21-19, 09:31 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Damn. You must be as old as me. You remember hand signals for cars? Wow.
I was required to use them during my driving test for my first license.

I've always just pointed with the arm on that side to which I'm turning. I don't think 98% of drivers or other cyclists have any idea that a raised left arm means a right turn.
I think you are close on the driver stat. From my observations, though, I think the majority of cyclists understand the signal.
Old 07-21-19, 09:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FiftySix
It's ingrained to the point of instinct on my part. When I did it yesterday on my bicycle ride, I did it the traditional way without thinking.
Using the traditional signal is not a problem unless you believe that you are actually communicating your information about your future turning movements with the intended recipients of your "signal."

I learned to drive stick shift in 1963 on my father's '57 VW van and still have one on my 2000 Chevy Prizm, but when I want to communicate with others that I will be making a right turn while riding a bicycle I use my right hand; it was not that hard to learn a new trick.
Old 07-21-19, 09:56 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Using the traditional signal is not a problem unless you believe that you are actually communicating your information about your future turning movements with the intended recipients of your "signal."

I learned to drive stick shift in 1963 on my father's '57 VW van and still have one on my 2000 Chevy Prizm, but when I want to communicate with others that I will be making a right turn while riding a bicycle I use my right hand; it was not that hard to learn a new trick.
Motorcyclists vs. non-motorcyclists, I guess. Due to right hand on throttle/front brake, motorcyclists will keep the tradition going for some time, and many motorcyclists ride bicycles.

I remember on one motorcycle ride a car pulled up to my right side to hand me a piece of paper at 60 mph. It took me a few attempts to grab that sheet of paper due to me having to lift my throttle hand off the throttle. Didn't matter if I clutched or not with my left hand, wind drag or engine braking kept slowing me way down.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-21-19, 11:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Motorcyclists vs. non-motorcyclists, I guess. Due to right hand on throttle/front brake, motorcyclists will keep the tradition going for some time, and many motorcyclists ride bicycles.
The last motorcycle I owned was in 1973. It was a Suzuki 125 and it had standard electric turn signals; worked well at night too. I do not think I ever forget about them when signaling a turn or lane change.

How long have electric turn signals been standard equipment on motorcycles sold in the U.S.? Why would anybody in the last 40 years be using hand signals while motorcycling?
Old 07-21-19, 12:48 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Call my judgemental but since MANY DRIVERS do not even employ the use of the NON-OPTION turn signals, why should any bicyclist think that a left hand raised would be connected to indicating a right turn????
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-21-19, 03:18 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I signal turns with my left arm, as I learned 60 years ago, as long as I have an arm free. I don't think anyone, including cops, recognizes it. People wave back.

A few months ago my shoulders were stiff. While waiting to cross a busy street I took the opportunity to work out the stiffness by raising them above my head and moving them around. A bicyclist waiting to cross the other direction asked me what I was signaling.
Old 07-21-19, 04:55 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

The last motorcycle I owned was in 1973. It was a Suzuki 125 and it had standard electric turn signals; worked well at night too. I do not think I ever forget about them when signaling a turn or lane change.

How long have electric turn signals been standard equipment on motorcycles sold in the U.S.? Why would anybody in the last 40 years be using hand signals while motorcycling?
I only see it when current motorcyclists have motorcycles with tiny custom turn signals, or no turn signals at all. Whether that's legal or not, it seems to be enforced about as much as loud pipes.

Not that anyone learns it, but the current Texas Drivers Handbook that is recommended reading for getting a drivers license here has hand signals covered on page 41. I spent 1/3 of 2016 and 1/2 of 2017 giving parent taught drivers ed to my last two kids, so it's in my recent memory. https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7.pdf

Back to bicycling, car drivers around here don't use their turn signals and they surely ignore me on my bicycle. Like the guy that slow turned into his driveway right in front of me when I was approaching on the road several weeks ago. That's what bicycle brakes are for, I suppose.
Old 07-21-19, 05:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y
I signal turns with my left arm, as I learned 60 years ago, as long as I have an arm free. I don't think anyone, including cops, recognizes it. People wave back.
Why do you signal your turns if no one recognizes it?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-22-19, 09:02 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Hand Signals a Must for two Wheels

I ride a lot of motorcycles as I’ve logged over a million miles on them in my lifetime. I always use hand signals even though I have good working order turn signals. It is the law to use them in my state when riding bicycles.

I truly believe when you are on two wheels you need to be seen and be predictable to everyone around you.

Last edited by tim24k; 07-22-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 09:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I sigal my left turns religiously, but almost never bother signalling a right turn at all, unless I'm shifting lanes to the right, and then it's always a matter of pointing right with my right hand. If I'm FRAP, it's almost always irrelevant to the vehicles going in either direction whether I turn right.
Old 07-22-19, 09:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The rider the OP witnessed was obviously flashing gang signs, as everyone knows women on bike trails are notoriously involved with gang activity. I mean duh....

Either that or she was telling the runner to steal 3rd.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 07-22-19 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-22-19, 09:49 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
The hand signal the OP witness was obviously telling the runner to steal 3rd.

Either that or she was flashing gang signs, as everyone knows women on bike trails are notoriously involved with gang activity. I mean duh....
According to every NIMBY ever when it comes to building new MUPs, they're going to open the floodgates for criminal activity!
Old 07-22-19, 09:54 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I had a driver scream bloody murder at me once because I didn't use hand signals to indicate a turn.

I'm pretty sure the due learned to drive on a Model T.

But honestly in modern day driving....do they even teach hand signals in driver's ed anymore? I doubt I could find 1 driver out of 100 randomly sampled that could tell me what hand signals meant. Hell I doubt I could find 10 out of 100 that even know there WERE hand signals, much less what they meant. (For that matter I bet 10-15 of them wouldn't know where the turn signal switch was on the steering column)
Old 07-22-19, 10:58 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by tim24k
I ride a lot of motorcycles as I’ve logged over a million miles on them in my lifetime. I always use hand signals even though I have good working order turn signals. It is the law to use them in my state when riding bicycles.
I truly believe when you are on two wheels you need to be seen and be predictable to everyone around you.
What do you think motorists predict you will do when you use hand signals, instead of your motorcycle's standard electric turn signals, especially right turn "signals" giver with the left arm, doubly especially for hand signals at night?
Old 07-22-19, 11:08 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
When I was part of the Philadelphia Bicycle Club 20 years ago (before I moved away), that was how we did it when we were riding in a group. We'd slap (not super loud, but enough to get someone's attention) the side of our thigh and then point down at the object to avoid. I think the slapping actually helps to get someone's attention first rather than just pointing. We also tried to shout out the warning, too.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 07-22-19, 11:23 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k

I rode motorcycle for many years and many miles. One of the reasons I switched the brakes so the right hand worked the front brake on my bicycle when I resumed bicycling was to make it easier to signal with my left hand, knowing that's the arm used for signaling.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 07-22-19, 11:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I was behind a guy on a group ride once. We approached a right turn and he held up his left hand and and raised his fist to the sky.

I was quite perplexed until I realized he was giving the (correct) hand signal for a right turn while driving a car. Never seen a cyclist do that, though. I think he was new.
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Spinay70
I have noticed that when i am out riding and get passed by a 'serious' rider, they rarely announce. I have also seen them buzz past unsuspecting walkers without a word.

This past weekend i spied a 'serious' rider approaching fast in my rear view and they ended up zipping by without any word...and quite close as well.
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I just headed out to our local-ish MUP for the first time this year a couple days ago. I love riding it, because it's a welcome break from my hilly and traffic-filled neighborhood, but the number of "serious riders" buzzing us on road bikes without announcing is irritating as heck.

It takes so little effort to announce, or to ring a bell - just have a touch of courtesy
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
From the now closed thread. “On Your Left”:
As a mirror wearer, I like to wave if I see a cyclist coming up from behind [on my left], and say hello when they get close, with the intention of (gently) surprising them before they surprise me.

An upcoming paceline makes me think of a school of piranhas.
Last year, for about 3-4 hours along the route, starting in Boston, I was passed by wave after wave of strong riders on the B to B Harpoon ride going up to Vermont.

So for me an upraised left arm is a wave to an upcoming vehicle, and I point my right hand for a right turn.
Old 07-22-19, 12:50 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I'm probably half the average age here and I use my left arm to signal. Don't care if no one recognizes it, that's the way I learned and that's the right signal. But the biggest reason I do it is that, anecdotally, it appears to confuse the hell out of drivers - they see me signaling an action but they don't know which one - so they slow down.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 07-22-19, 02:55 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Patting your rear end means follow my line, stay behind me, or tighten it up. It's often used in conjunction with identifying vehicles, walkers, animals, trash cans, etc... that may be using the road. Pointing down either on the left or right indicates road debris and potholes. No idea what patting the thigh means.
Old 07-22-19, 03:24 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Habit. For perhaps the first time ever, a hand signal may have registered. I was preparing to turn left, the motorist behind me was about to pass me on the left, slowed down to let me turn. Today
Likes For Arthur Peabody:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.