Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maintenance on "new" 1988 Miyata 615

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maintenance on "new" 1988 Miyata 615

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 10:53 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by t1k
Thank you for the pads advice and the link. Looks like the Kool Stop Continentals pads come with threaded posts only. Will they work with cantilever brakes designed for smooth posts?
Originally Posted by t1k

When you repack bb, headset and hubs, do you always replace the lose bearings? If not how do you assess the bearings condition?

Is there preferred kind grease I should be using?

What chain do you recommend to use? Will Shimano CN-HG71 or KMC Z8.1 chains work?
For smooth post canti brakes, there are a lot of options. Easiest would probably be the Kool Stop Eagle 2. Personally, I would use the black compound, rather than salmon. Salmon is great for the rain, but I find it's so grabby that getting them not to squeal can be a real challenge on about half the bikes I used them on. (Yes, all manner of toe-in, or out, cleaned rims, sanded rims, etc. They would be quiet for a ride or two, then right back to howling.) Since I started using the black, nothing but silent braking, and only a tiny reduction in perceived braking grip.

In regard to bearings, you will want to just replace the balls. They're so cheap, it just doesn't make sense to reuse them unless you know they're in perfect shape. (It's maybe $2 worth of bearing balls to redo a bike, while the labor is a pain.) Grease doesn't matter too much, as the big problem is contamination from dirt and dust. Much better to repack them often with crappy grease, then to let the worlds best grease go longer with dirt in it. Any sort of wheel bearing grease will do just fine.

Finally, for chains, I would go with the KMC 72. It's cheaper, and still works great with 5 speed freewheels. (They do make 5 and 6 speed specific chain, but it's often more money, and usually doesn't shift as well.
Old 07-25-19, 01:12 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Agreed, but I use the green Phil Wood grease on everything. One tube lasts me for years. "Simichrome" for chrome polishing.
Old 07-25-19, 02:01 PM
t1k

Bikes: C&V primarily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
Just where "you" want the bars is the big unknown. Some of this will be a matter of your physiology, and much of it will be personal preference, and your conditioning (core strength, flexibility, injuries, etc). As a rough guideline, the harder you are riding or pushing yourself, the further forward or lower you will want the bars. This will help keep you balanced at higher output levels, and cut down on wind resistance (unimportant at low speeds, but hugely important once you get over ~25 mph)
Thank you for the great fitting ideas. I didn't even think about lowering the handlebar. For some reason I thought that it'll make the reach shorter and force me to bend my back even more. I'll try to lower the bars and see how it feels.

I've swapped the stock Selle Royal saddle with a Brooks B17 saddle which allowed me to push the saddle about 10mm further back. And on a short test ride the new saddle/position felt better.

All the bike fittings and formulas in the world won't tell you what is most comfortable to "you". Most experienced cyclists arrive at a good fit through a lot of trial and error. If you go out for a long ride, and something really hurts, then it's time to do some research as to why it's hurting, then try changing something to fix it. Eventually you get fitter, and your bike gets adjusted better, and you reach a compromise that is generally comfortable.
That's exactly how I feel. I'll do the little tweaks to the bike as I identify what need/could be improved. At the same time I'll get more used to (and flexible to) riding a drop bar road bike.
Old 07-25-19, 02:26 PM
t1k

For smooth post canti brakes, there are a lot of options. Easiest would probably be the Kool Stop Eagle 2. Personally, I would use the black compound, rather than salmon. Salmon is great for the rain, but I find it's so grabby that getting them not to squeal can be a real challenge on about half the bikes I used them on. (Yes, all manner of toe-in, or out, cleaned rims, sanded rims, etc. They would be quiet for a ride or two, then right back to howling.) Since I started using the black, nothing but silent braking, and only a tiny reduction in perceived braking grip.
I've tried Kool Stop Eagle 2 pads and I've put them on the rear brake. But the Eagle 2 pads are too long for the front brake and interfere with the fork. Is it possible and a good idea to shorten the pads?

In regard to bearings, you will want to just replace the balls. They're so cheap, it just doesn't make sense to reuse them unless you know they're in perfect shape. (It's maybe $2 worth of bearing balls to redo a bike, while the labor is a pain.) Grease doesn't matter too much, as the big problem is contamination from dirt and dust. Much better to repack them often with crappy grease, then to let the worlds best grease go longer with dirt in it. Any sort of wheel bearing grease will do just fine.
I'm pretty sure that the balls are in good shape (the bike was barely ridden) but I'll follow your advice and replace the balls.

Does it worth it (good idea) to repack the freewheel too? It's a 6 speed Shimano Z012 freewheel. The cogs are in a great condition and I'd like to keep using the freewheel. I've noticed, however, that when I raise the bike and spin the rear wheel forward, there's some vibration to the frame. Not quite sure what causes it but I suspect the freewheel. In case I have to replace the freewheel, what are the compatible freewheels (that are still available)?

Finally, for chains, I would go with the KMC 72. It's cheaper, and still works great with 5 speed freewheels. (They do make 5 and 6 speed specific chain, but it's often more money, and usually doesn't shift as well.
The stock chain is Shimano Uniglide chain. I can see that the tooth shape of the Miyata freewheel is a bit different from the tooth shape on my newer bikes that use Hyperglide chain. Will the Hyperglide chain work fine on the freewheel designed for the Uniglide chain.

I apologize for so many newbie questions. Hope I'm not asking some nonsense

Last edited by t1k; 07-25-19 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 03:05 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
t1k - You can certainly trim the Eagle pads. There is a steel shank that will probably be exposed if you take of more than about 1/4". Just use a hacksaw or dremel to cut them. Otherwise there are also some shorter smooth post pads or holders. I think their "Cross" holders are shorter, and use regular Shimano road inserts. (They're just spendy compared to the Eagle 2 pads)

If the balls look good, you can certainly re-use them. Most of us have bags of balls, and it just isn't worth the uncertainty to re-use them. That being said, cleaning everything and re-greasing will be much better than not doing anything at all.

The freewheel "can" be disassembled, but probably shouldn't be. Just soak it in a solvent like mineral spirits or kerosene (or diesel), then spin it and try flushing all the junk out that you can. Let it drip dry, or better blow it out with compressed air. Dribble some thick oil into the hub -- I like chainsaw bar lube, but heavy gear oil is good too. This won't fix serious issues like broken balls, cracked palls, or broken springs, but it will more than likely get it spinning like new, especially if the bike wasn't ridden much, or left out in the rain.

You can't buy "Uniglide" chain anymore, unless it's NOS on eBay. Most modern chain by the big names (KMC, SRAM, Shimano) incorporate most of the "Hyperglide" features, along with usually some sort of shaped and beveled side plates to improve shifting. It's my understanding the Hyperglide was more about shaping the cogs and front chainrings in ways that improved pickup, and aligned nearby cogs to align the teeth at several shift points. Running 7 speed chain like the KMC 72 will improve shifting over the old Uniglide, as it's a bit narrower externally (helps with chain rub up front), and has shaped side plates the help with picking up the new sprockets during a shift in the rear. Plus, they come with quicklinks that make servicing the chain a snap. (You will still need a chain tool to shorten it, but you'll probably be fine running the full chain -- I rarely need to take off more than 3-4 links off a bike like that.)
Old 07-25-19, 05:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Old 08-06-19, 11:35 AM
t1k

t1k - You can certainly trim the Eagle pads. There is a steel shank that will probably be exposed if you take of more than about 1/4". Just use a hacksaw or dremel to cut them. Otherwise there are also some shorter smooth post pads or holders. I think their "Cross" holders are shorter, and use regular Shimano road inserts. (They're just spendy compared to the Eagle 2 pads)
I trimmed the Eagle 2 pads after trying several other pads that LBS recommended (but that didn't work). On one pad I cut the entire toe section and had to cut the steel shank with a hacksaw. That was a bit tricky because it was hard to hold the brake stationary while cutting. I've cut off about a half of the toe section from the other pad and didn't expose the shank.

Now that I have the same pads on the front and rear brakes I've noticed that the front brake is crisp and responsive (the bike starts braking the moment I feel resistance from the brake lever, there's no much brake lever travel after the brake pads touch the wheel), while the rear brake has a rubbery feel (the braking is very week at the point when resistance is felt from the brake lever, the brake lever has lots of travel after the brake pads touch the rim). What could cause this effect? I didn't replace the brake cables/housing yet? Is this the rear brake cable stretching?
Old 08-06-19, 11:58 AM
t1k

The freewheel "can" be disassembled, but probably shouldn't be. Just soak it in a solvent like mineral spirits or kerosene (or diesel), then spin it and try flushing all the junk out that you can. Let it drip dry, or better blow it out with compressed air. Dribble some thick oil into the hub -- I like chainsaw bar lube, but heavy gear oil is good too. This won't fix serious issues like broken balls, cracked palls, or broken springs, but it will more than likely get it spinning like new, especially if the bike wasn't ridden much, or left out in the rain.
Thank you for the freewheel cleaning procedure. I followed it with with a slight modification. I used mineral spirits to clean the outside of the freewheel and sprayed WD-40 into the freewheel to clean the old grease. Worked perfectly. I also used the chainsaw bar lube to lubricate the freewheel .

What do you do with the mineral spirits after soaking a freewheel in it? Can you reuse for chain degreasing?

I liked how the chainsaw bar lube worked to lubricate the freewheel. Now I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to use it as a chain lube too? I know that the biking industry will say "No way" because the chainsaw bar lube is so much cheaper. But other than marketing stuff is there much difference between bike chain lube and the chainsaw chain lube?
Old 08-06-19, 04:30 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by t1k
I trimmed the Eagle 2 pads after trying several other pads that LBS recommended (but that didn't work). On one pad I cut the entire toe section and had to cut the steel shank with a hacksaw. That was a bit tricky because it was hard to hold the brake stationary while cutting. I've cut off about a half of the toe section from the other pad and didn't expose the shank.

Now that I have the same pads on the front and rear brakes I've noticed that the front brake is crisp and responsive (the bike starts braking the moment I feel resistance from the brake lever, there's no much brake lever travel after the brake pads touch the wheel), while the rear brake has a rubbery feel (the braking is very week at the point when resistance is felt from the brake lever, the brake lever has lots of travel after the brake pads touch the rim). What could cause this effect? I didn't replace the brake cables/housing yet? Is this the rear brake cable stretching?
Read-up on how to set-up cantilever brakes - it can be a bit counterintuitive. Here is a reference: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
Old 08-07-19, 10:31 PM
t1k

Originally Posted by jlaw
Read-up on how to set-up cantilever brakes - it can be a bit counterintuitive. Here is a reference: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
Thank you for the link, jlaw.
I watched the park tool videos on the cantilever brakes set up. I curious what the great Sheldon Brown said about the cantilever brakes.
Old 08-08-19, 08:47 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Does your bike look like this? I picked this one up for $100.
Old 08-08-19, 09:11 AM
t1k

Originally Posted by robertj298
Does your bike look like this? I picked this one up for $100.
Yep. Mine is identical minus the size, perhaps.
Your bike looks to be in a great shape and you've got it for a very good price. I paid 400 Canadian dollars (~300 USD).
Congrats, you've got an awesome bike.

I've started repacking all the bearings and it turned out to be a good idea. The old grease, although clean, has dried up.

Last edited by t1k; 08-08-19 at 09:15 AM.