Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The upside of aging

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

The upside of aging

Old 09-08-19, 11:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 127 Posts
Every year you can claim to be the source of the candle shortage at the grocery store!

Our streets are paved with onions...the drivers aren't tarping
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 09-09-19, 10:04 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Every year you can claim to be the source of the candle shortage at the grocery store!
Instead of matches? Or is that a birthday reference, lol.
Old 09-09-19, 03:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 119 Posts
Going to a sold out KISS concert wearing a KISS shirt seeing Grandpa and Grandma dressed up with their grown children and their grandchildren as KISS. Everyone having a blast watching KISS blow everything up etc etc. Not caring what anyone looks like for a few hours. Seeing 70 year old Gene Simmons spit blood and spew fire. Those old geezers dragging 40 pounds of costume around the stage. Older crowd been there done that no knuckleheads wanting to fight. Just there to have a good time buying overpriced adult beverages and being to buzzed to care. Went to the concert with 300 bucks looked in my wallet this morning and there was only 12 bucks! indicating you had had a great time. So what if I blew my new weed eater money on a KISS concert Yes, there is an upside to aging.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-09-19, 06:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Instead of matches? Or is that a birthday reference, lol.
Every year you buy a new set...of course. Have you ever seen the stock of birthday candles in a grocery store?

Not really, I never could find a lot of them. They think you want those numbers.

Old 09-10-19, 10:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
The upside of aging is that it's synonymous with living. Living is good.
Old 09-11-19, 05:39 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6821 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Every year you buy a new set...of course. Have you ever seen the stock of birthday candles in a grocery store?

Not really, I never could find a lot of them. They think you want those numbers.
Well seems to me that 60+ burning candles on a sugar frosted cake might be something of a fire hazard.

Now if it were pie...
Old 09-11-19, 10:34 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Actually, they are not. Some people live and learn quickly in just a short time. Other,s get old but don't get any smarter. Inf act, most people are mentally linked to adolescence and don't expand beyond that regardless of how old they get.
My not-so-inner-12-year-old agrees.

One advantage though, is my car/motorcycle insurance keeps going down.
Old 09-11-19, 07:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
The wisdom it imparts The ability to see ahead long-term. Having lived long enough to know that thing that look good today, may not be so cool come tomorrow. Ref: tattoos in your 20s that you may regret in your 40s, 50s and beyond.
Old 09-11-19, 10:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Well seems to me that 60+ burning candles on a sugar frosted cake might be something of a fire hazard.

Now if it were pie...
Doubles as a test for lung troubles as well. If the cake burns down, see a doctor.

Old 09-12-19, 09:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 101 Posts
The wisdom it imparts The ability to see ahead long-term. Having lived long enough to know that thing that look good today, may not be so cool come tomorrow. Ref: tattoos in your 20s that you may regret in your 40s, 50s and beyond.
But ironically, 'long' term is not as long as it used to be
Old 09-23-19, 11:25 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 87 Posts
Who else is going to admit to not remembering what this thread is about?
Likes For no motor?:
Old 09-23-19, 11:30 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
"Fast cars, fine ass
These things will pass
And it won't get more profound"

-d.c.berman
Old 09-24-19, 05:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
A friend I ride with, in his 80's, told me the best thing about being his age is that he doesn't have to worry about dying young...
Old 09-24-19, 05:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
A friend I ride with, in his 80's, told me the best thing about being his age is that he doesn't have to worry about dying young...
or leaving a pretty corpse
Old 09-25-19, 04:54 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 11643 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 58 Posts
Some industries are having a hard time finding "younger and cheaper..."

Printed circuit design has long been considered a "graying industry," as few young folks seek to take on the long hours, crushing deadlines and tedious painstaking work that typically defines the industry. This is not an industry for folks with short attention spans or the need to "go out and play." The average age of designers tends to approach the 50's and few colleges offer training in the industry. At my particular location, of the dozens of designers, only 2 are below 40 years of age. This was also a similar situation at other locations I have worked. HR folks tend to be rather uneducated about the industry in general. Engineers will say... "we need a designer..." only to be stymied by HR departments that don't understand the requirements. I was hosted, not long ago, at a group lunch by a bunch of HR folks that wanted to understand exactly what a PCB designer did.

http://www.magazines007.com/pdf/PCB-May2017.pdf

There are some "pipelines" seeking to fill the roles of the aging and retiring largely self taught PCB designer... but such training opportunities are few and far between.

https://pcdandf.com/pcdesign/index.p...est-recap-1810

Folks like myself are being called back from retirement, or are being retained (usually with bonuses and liberal work hours) in an effort to fulfill the demands of the industry. Off shore designers are increasing in number, but some companies fear "industrial sabotage" should their designs "leave the house."

Honestly, any young person wanting a rewarding, well paying career, albeit with a tendency for steady stress, mind numbing process control, and "vampire" working conditions (dark offices with glowing computer screens as the only light) should consider ECAD design... either in Printed Circuit Boards (also known as Printed Wire Boards) or IC design.
The end result is to outsource and dump the oldies.
Old 09-25-19, 06:58 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Or, as in my case, offshore, send oldies to teach offshore newbies, THEN dump oldies.

See the movie "Outsourced..." similar to what happened to me... less the romance aspect.

Now I just take on an occasional contract... and refuse to pass on my precious knowledge. Let them learn from experience, and grow old, as I did.
Likes For genec:
Old 09-25-19, 09:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 8856 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 361 Posts
I presented some expertise at a meeting yesterday. They recorded me, my talk is online in the MS knowledge base. I got lots of oohs and ahs during the presentation.

They provided iced cream for everybody!
Old 09-25-19, 12:20 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Or, as in my case, offshore, send oldies to teach offshore newbies, THEN dump oldies.

See the movie "Outsourced..." similar to what happened to me... less the romance aspect.

Now I just take on an occasional contract... and refuse to pass on my precious knowledge. Let them learn from experience, and grow old, as I did.
Corporate culture that values the quarters stock value (stock options taste so good) over the health of the company see older workers as an expense to be cut and replaced by younger workers with less vacation and sick time and lower salaries. Experience and knowledge doesn't count as much in relation to these things because that problem is for a quarter further down the road. My last company was fond of laying off senior workers and then offering to bring them back as temps at a lower salary without benefits. Hardly anyone except senior management ever lasted till retirement age.
Old 09-25-19, 06:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
Nah, that's an intermediate result. Indeed the oldies are discarded. Eventually leadership discovers outsourcing just pushed personnel issues to another timezone and continent, where they are initially invisible but eventually raise their ugly head. They also discover the need for solid documentation, which could be fudged with local resources who had personal relationships with customers. The final, end result, after significant losses, is insourcing and regrowing lost domain knowledge. Whether a low wage outsource remains, supported by an internal systems and MGMT structure approaching the cost of the original workforce, or the whole darned thing is pulled back in, hardly matters. The question is whether the organization can survive all the churn and lost productivity.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-26-19, 05:43 AM
KraneXL

If that's your resolve then your precious knowledge fall short. What good is all the knowledge in the world if you keep it too yourself and don't share it with others?
Old 09-26-19, 09:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

While he wants to get paid for working, the good of that knowledge kept to himself makes him more employable. When he's done wanting to get paid for working, the unshared knowledge is absolutely useless, and it's dependent on his personal good will whether he feels motivated to share it or not.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 09-26-19, 10:33 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

If that's your resolve then your precious knowledge fall short. What good is all the knowledge in the world if you keep it too yourself and don't share it with others?
Knowledge isn't free. It has to be earned to have any value. I can explain exactly how to do a complex job but you will still have to do it to really understand the job.

If you treat people with a lack of respect when they have the knowledge you need........then you get what you earn.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 09-26-19 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For maddmaxx:
Old 09-27-19, 05:27 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
While he wants to get paid for working, the good of that knowledge kept to himself makes him more employable. When he's done wanting to get paid for working, the unshared knowledge is absolutely useless, and it's dependent on his personal good will whether he feels motivated to share it or not.
Or merely pay me to teach... as a new career.

Having me teach, and then laying me off, as my students take my job, is also defeatist.

I was given the position as manager, and did just that, acting as mentor to the younger workers, while developing an effecient work environment... thus doing what I was tasked to do.

The real irony is that my "students" then took their new gained skills and left the company, and found better jobs. I still keep in touch with several of them.

My "students" were tasked with passing skills on to workers from yet another country... and saw the handwriting on the wall, and left.

The company they left, has stagnated, likely due to too much turnover, and the lack of quality new design ideas.

Last edited by genec; 09-27-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 06:18 AM
gear64

Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Miyata 1000, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro, Trek Alpha 4900

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Any mistake you could possibly make at work (and in many other contexts), you can just say "oh, man, I never did dumb stuff like that before I turned 40" and all is forgiven, plus everybody gets a chuckle.
Used sparingly.... In tech field you can reinforce your irrelevance if not careful.
Likes For gear64:
Old 09-27-19, 07:58 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Which likewise defines the person hording it, in my view.

Knowledge isn't free. It has to be earned to have any value. I can explain exactly how to do a complex job but you will still have to do it to really understand the job.

If you treat people with a lack of respect when they have the knowledge you need........then you get what you earn.
Only because we've been programmed by a decadent society to put a price tag on everything we do. Knowledge should be free to all who would accept it. I give my knowledge openly to anyone who ask only with the resolve that I've made a contribution to move society forward.

On the other hand, websites such as this allow all of us to contribute in some way, and to some extent. Although speaking for myself it is more of a symbiosis, since I receive knowledge as I impart it. Now my time, well that's a different matter altogether.

Or merely pay me to teach... as a new career.

Having me teach, and then laying me off, as my students take my job, is also defeatist.
That's a result of your organization's insatiable greed. Not your contribution to its members.

I was given the position as manager, and did just that, acting as mentor to the younger workers, while developing an effecient work environment... thus doing what I was tasked to do.

The real irony is that my "students" then took their new gained skills and left the company, and found better jobs. I still keep in touch with several of them.
That's a chance businesses have been taking since their beginning. The smart ones simply set up systems to protect their investment beforehand. .But other than getting them to sign a contract (e.g. the military), there are no guarantees of their long-term commitment to any single organization..

My "students" were tasked with passing skills on to workers from yet another country... and saw the handwriting on the wall, and left.

The company they left, has stagnated, likely due to too much turnover, and the lack of quality new design ideas.
A perfect example of a lack of knowledge (or simply an unwillingness to change) likely by somebody at the top.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.