Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I bought a new helmet. Giro Syntax MIPS

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-15-19, 12:39 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts

My old Bell Furio needed new pads. I had bought them once before. Cleaned everything and was good for another few years. This time I decided to get something new. This Giro is labelled MIPS which seems like the foam is thicker. The strap system and adjustment are pretty much the same as the old Bell. So what did MIPS actually get me? Other than a fun trip to the store with my Grandboy, he got a new soccerball.
Old 09-15-19, 12:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
MIPS isn't about thicker foam. It is about the low friction liner that is between your head and the helmet foam and shell.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/07/23/eb1...llection-more/

Old 09-15-19, 05:50 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I seriously question the benefit of MIPS. I suppose if you’re the type to wear your helmet so tight that an impact would not cause the helmet to slip on your head, thereby transferring the impact forces to your skull and brain then perhaps you’d benefit. But seriously, who’s wearing their helmet that tight?

Don’t get me wrong here; I’m not doubting the science, I’m just not convinced the application has any tangible benefit. I wear my helmet pretty snug. When I remove my helmet after a ride there are slight indentations where the interior ridges contact my scalp. If I tightened the straps much more it would be on the verge of choking me. Yet I can promise you if I crash and my helmet suffers an impact, it’s gonna shift on my head. I cannot imagine how tight I would have to wear the straps to eliminate the helmet from shifting on my head. But ultimately the helmet shifting on my head is a good thing — within reason, of course. Now, the principle of MIPS is to create a slip plane, and I just feel like the combination of my scalp and a normal comfortable helmet fit creates their own slip plane.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 09-15-19, 06:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I seriously question the benefit of MIPS. I suppose if you’re the type to wear your helmet so tight that an impact would not cause the helmet to slip on your head, thereby transferring the impact forces to your skull and brain then perhaps you’d benefit. But seriously, who’s wearing their helmet that tight?

Don’t get me wrong here; I’m not doubting the science, I’m just not convinced the application has any tangible benefit. I wear my helmet pretty snug. When I remove my helmet after a ride there are slight indentations where the interior ridges contact my scalp. If I tightened the straps much more it would be on the verge of choking me. Yet I can promise you if I crash and my helmet suffers an impact, it’s gonna shift on my head. I cannot imagine how tight I would have to wear the straps to eliminate the helmet from shifting on my head. But ultimately the helmet shifting on my head is a good thing — within reason, of course. Now, the principle of MIPS is to create a slip plane, and I just feel like the combination of my scalp and a normal comfortable helmet fit creates their own slip plane.

-Kedosto
The science isn’t even all that wonderful. No one has been able to use a realistic animal model of concussion since the 1980s (it was in primates and pretty ugly) and, even when it was available, no preventive measures were tested.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-15-19, 06:22 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
It obviously gave you a reason to not read any of the product info that came with your purchase and then come here to post an erroneous assumption about MIPS and ask a basic question about MIPS.
That’s harsh. The guy goes to the store, takes his grandkid along, gets a helmet for himself and a new soccer ball for the grandkid; he is happy and you have to poop all over him.

When someone asks a question I assume that it is an honest question (except for the eternal trolls with the steel is real vs. carbon is platic questions).

Either answer him or just let it be.

Now let the back and forth start...as it is now, seemingly, the new normal at BF.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia: