Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roubaix Pro tire vs Grand Prix 4000S II

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-17-17, 07:42 AM
Sunsetman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready for new tires on for a 2013 Spesh Roubaix. Probably looking at 25c size.

Anyone have experience with the Specialized Roubaix Pro tire vs the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II?

I'm looking for low rolling resistance, comfort, puncture resistance and a little tread in case I stray onto a dirt road.

Thanks!

Other tire suggestions are welcomed.
Old 07-17-17, 08:28 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I always recommend a Maxxis Re-Fuse tire because they roll great, they're super puncture proof and they last a good, long time. I've also run those Roubaix tires.. good, solid tire as well, I just don't think they grip as well on the road and they're certainly not as good on 'special' surfaces. I have a set of those Conti 4000's on my new bike that's currently being built. Haven't tried them out yet.. but should get a chance later this week.
Old 07-17-17, 09:21 AM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, if you all could give measured tire widths it would be greatly appreciated.

I may be abled to run 28c, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-17-17, 09:28 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
That "tread" isn't going to do anything for you. Not that you likely need it to do anything anyway.
Old 07-17-17, 12:54 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
That "tread" isn't going to do anything for you. Not that you likely need it to do anything anyway.

Placebo effect.
Old 07-17-17, 12:59 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I always recommend a Maxxis Re-Fuse tire because they roll great, they're super puncture proof and they last a good, long time. I've also run those Roubaix tires.. good, solid tire as well, I just don't think they grip as well on the road and they're certainly not as good on 'special' surfaces. I have a set of those Conti 4000's on my new bike that's currently being built. Haven't tried them out yet.. but should get a chance later this week.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-17, 01:07 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsetman
Getting ready for new tires on for a 2013 Spesh Roubaix. Probably looking at 25c size.

Anyone have experience with the Specialized Roubaix Pro tire vs the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II?

I'm looking for low rolling resistance, comfort, puncture resistance and a little tread in case I stray onto a dirt road.

Thanks!

Other tire suggestions are welcomed.
I had the original Roubaix tires on and they were ok. I was getting some pinch flats even at 115 psi. I weigh 205 and I am on a 64cm frame with the Di2. I like the switch to the Continental 4000s II. I went to 28c and they fit fine and I was able to lower the pressure to 95 and it tracks like a dream. I descend fast at up to 45 mph, and they hold well. I do get some cuts in the tread, but that is going to happen with any of the tires. I take a little shoe goo and fill in any cuts. I cannot speak about dirt though. I don't think this would be a great tire for even hard fire roads to be honest.
Old 07-17-17, 01:19 PM
Sunsetman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
I had the original Roubaix tires on and they were ok. I was getting some pinch flats even at 115 psi. I weigh 205 and I am on a 64cm frame with the Di2. I like the switch to the Continental 4000s II. I went to 28c and they fit fine and I was able to lower the pressure to 95 and it tracks like a dream. I descend fast at up to 45 mph, and they hold well. I do get some cuts in the tread, but that is going to happen with any of the tires. I take a little shoe goo and fill in any cuts. I cannot speak about dirt though. I don't think this would be a great tire for even hard fire roads to be honest.

What year Roubaix do you have? Disc or rim brake?

I have rim brakes on my 2013. I have 25c Specialized All Condition Armadillos and have to let air out of the back to get past the brake. They measure about 27mm wide though.

I've read that GP 4000's run large, rolling resistance says that the 28c measures 31mm.
Old 07-17-17, 03:02 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsetman
What year Roubaix do you have? Disc or rim brake?

I have rim brakes on my 2013. I have 25c Specialized All Condition Armadillos and have to let air out of the back to get past the brake. They measure about 27mm wide though.

I've read that GP 4000's run large, rolling resistance says that the 28c measures 31mm.

I have the 2017 Roubaix, with the disc.
Old 07-17-17, 05:29 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I have these in 700x25c. Best tires I ever rode on.

https://www.vittoria.com/tire/corsa-open/

I have them on my Roubaix.

-Shin
Old 07-17-17, 10:52 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have GP 4000sIIs 25s. They measure 27mm with a micrometer inflated to 100 psi. The overall width might depend on the wide of the rim you mount the tires on. I have Boyd Vitesse alloy wheels from 2012 and they are 23mm wide, 28mm deep. If you mount the tires on a narrower rim, I suspect it might be a bit narrower when inflated.