Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two beauties on 24 inch wheels ... my mind is blown

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 12:59 PM
robalong
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

kjosujwef

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For robalong:
Old 05-14-23, 01:25 PM
robalong
Banned

uijwedssddsfewrferrf

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-14-23, 01:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,591 Posts
There's a girl in my neighborhood almost big enough for the red one. I've watched her on her SS sprint to catch her friends after a delayed start. Bolt upright. But spinning those little cranks like she was a long-time pro in a roller competition. And a 12 yo at the farmers market who absolutely loves to ride. I think she's got a cheap MTB with a stick index shifter. She loves to go uphill. Doesn't talk about the bike much at home but knows this 70 yo "gets it", tells me and completely comes alive as she shares her little successes with me. (Yesterday was the first time she shared with me about the big hill a block from their house that her friends loved to ride down but only she rides up. Asked her if she finds the big sprocket ("1" on her shifter) too easy and does the hill in "2". Looks at me with a smile, "Yup!"

robalong, both of these girls might be very worthy recipients of these bikes. I'd happily be an enabler. I have nothing at stake here and would only be doing my best to spread a little good will. I'm guessing you have potential recipients far closer so I'm expecting nothing. (And really don't have it in my needs list to take on another project.) Oh, and yes, a crap shoot. I have no idea where life is supposed to take either of these girls. They might grow out of bicycles entirely next year. (Boys are not far away for that second girl. I hope to be able to sit down with her before that to tell her she has a gift she can return to when boys betray her, loved ones leave, life deals her with that "G**, how did you let that happen?" That she can always return to the bike and ride - where nothing else matters.) She's already told me that in everything but the words.
Old 05-14-23, 01:46 PM
DaleDee
Pedalist

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Makes me wonder who would give them away. Very nice, indeed!
Old 05-14-23, 01:50 PM
robalong
Banned

koasijwugeytfdg

Old 05-14-23, 01:56 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 694 Posts
Very generous of both of you.
Old 05-14-23, 02:16 PM
robalong
Banned

juwefjndjkfndc

Likes For robalong:
Old 05-14-23, 03:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There's a girl in my neighborhood almost big enough for the red one. I've watched her on her SS sprint to catch her friends after a delayed start. Bolt upright. But spinning those little cranks like she was a long-time pro in a roller competition. And a 12 yo at the farmers market who absolutely loves to ride. I think she's got a cheap MTB with a stick index shifter. She loves to go uphill. Doesn't talk about the bike much at home but knows this 70 yo "gets it", tells me and completely comes alive as she shares her little successes with me. (Yesterday was the first time she shared with me about the big hill a block from their house that her friends loved to ride down but only she rides up. Asked her if she finds the big sprocket ("1" on her shifter) too easy and does the hill in "2". Looks at me with a smile, "Yup!"
12yo is probably too big already. I've got the cutest 24x1 3/8 wheeled pink Giant road bike with custom wheels using pink spokes on it. My daughter, who is short for her age, started using it between 8 and 9, and stopped sometime before she turned 12, we stopped using it when the shiny chrome seatpost was showing the minimum insertion line by nearly an inch and now when she sits on it her feet are flat on the ground with knees slightly bent. She turns 13 at the end of Aug and I don't know where the years are going or how she's getting too big but she is.