Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New 2017 Fuji Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New 2017 Fuji Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 07:11 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2017 Fuji Touring

It appears the new Fuji Touring is out! It appears the main changes this year include upgraded tires and different brake levers (Tektro RL520s > TRP RRL).

Fuji Touring Road Bike -- 2017

Whatcha all think?
Old 08-27-16, 07:57 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'd ride it.
Old 08-27-16, 08:42 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it needs disc brakes or I'm not interested.
Old 08-27-16, 09:02 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Fuji makes nice bikes. this one looks good to me.
Old 08-27-16, 10:17 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
You could take it anywhere. It has all the basics covered, low gearing, hardy wheels and it's green. Sure, not all the components are top tier but wear these out and upgrade if your little heart desires. Hard to beat for 7 bills.
Old 08-27-16, 11:49 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Max tire width is 38 mm?
Old 08-28-16, 06:36 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Looks good to me as a reasonably priced hop-on-and-go touring bike.
Old 08-28-16, 07:48 AM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the low price point certainly makes up for lack of discs here. I own the 2016 and, a time or two, had some buyers remorse as I was leaning towards the Salsa Marrakesh. In the end, this was the better choice given the savings and simplicity (Heck, I would have spent 1600 and thats not even including panniers, and other accessories). Glad to see they were able to keep a solid price point for tourists on the fence and with low amounts for purchasing.
Old 08-28-16, 07:50 AM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
You could take it anywhere. It has all the basics covered, low gearing, hardy wheels and it's green. Sure, not all the components are top tier but wear these out and upgrade if your little heart desires. Hard to beat for 7 bills.
Excellent point here! With the savings, a tourist could put that all away to help fund a tour/swap parts or, literally, buy another Fuji haha.
Old 08-28-16, 01:07 PM
robow

And to top it off, the rear rack looks well done, wonder if it comes with that cool reflective bungee.
Old 08-28-16, 01:18 PM
Amigo_Frio

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This Fuji appears to be a great bike for touring sans the frills!
Old 08-28-16, 02:00 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
And to top it off, the rear rack looks well done, wonder if it comes with that cool reflective bungee.
It does! 😀 Same bungie as the 2016. Rack is also the same and has held up great. I commute 5 days a week and have done some longer mini tours. Max capacity is 55 lbs. and I routinely carry 20-25 (laptop, tools, etc). I did have to tighten the bolts to the frame once after I got it but I think that was just a rushed install. Has been fine since!

Last edited by NoShiftSherlock; 08-28-16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 06:12 PM
lmoilane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sizing?

Does anybody know if the 2017 will come in a XXL (61 cm)? The sizing for the touring seems a little wonky
Old 08-28-16, 07:20 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lmoilane
Does anybody know if the 2017 will come in a XXL (61 cm)? The sizing for the touring seems a little wonky
Probably not. The dimensions are probably the same as the 2016:

https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/detail...g-#bk_desc_tab
Old 08-28-16, 08:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by lmoilane
The xxl has a 61cm stack.

1- thats a reverse of most bikes and especially touring/endurance frames these days. The stack ks often times at or larger than the listed or effective frame size.

2- the xxl could be good for you if you are looking for a 61 since thats the effective stack height.
Old 08-28-16, 08:46 PM
lmoilane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
Probably not. The dimensions are probably the same as the 2016:

Fuji Bikes | LIFESTYLE | CROSS TERRAIN | TOURING
I think you are correct, which sucks for me. I have the 2017 in a 58 cm. I will likely end up dumping the bike because of fit issues which would likely have been resolved by sizing up to a 61.
Old 08-28-16, 08:58 PM
lmoilane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The xxl has a 61cm stack.

1- thats a reverse of most bikes and especially touring/endurance frames these days. The stack ks often times at or larger than the listed or effective frame size.

2- the xxl could be good for you if you are looking for a 61 since thats the effective stack height.
The XXXL has a stack height of 610mm. I don't know if Fuji will make a XXL. I can't imagine myself on a XXXL bike. The 590 mm ETT is fine, and is comparable to size large (58cm or 60cm) for other manufacturers. The standover may be problematic.
Old 08-28-16, 10:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yeah, meant xxxl not xxl.
The xxxl has a stack height that matches what younare looking for.
Old 08-29-16, 03:43 AM
chintanjadwani

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't they still.have a 52 cm size :/ !!
Old 08-29-16, 07:48 AM
robow

Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
Why don't they still.have a 52 cm size :/ !!
Don't get hung up on the S,M,Lg designations nor even the frame size number since all are subjective and not standardized, concentrate on effective top tube and the smallest size offered has an effective top tube of 53cm which might very well work for you along with a shorter stem.
Old 08-29-16, 09:32 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good inexpensive tourer

I met a young guy at the hiker/biker site at Glacier. He was riding a Fuji tourer from upstate New York to a new life in Portland. He said he had chosen it because he didn't have much money. It had served him well, except for having to replace the wheels and tires in Yellowstone.

I've been there. My first tours were on an old Raleigh Gran Prix when I was a poor musician/student. I had no money but I had that bike, so I made it work.

Later, when I was a new teacher, I had a little more money but still not a lot. I bought a Nashbar tourer. There were better choices out there, but I couldn't afford them. It was a definite step up from the Raleigh. I rode it on many tours. I had to replace the rear wheel due to a spate of broken spokes. I think the Fuji would be better than my old Nashbar was.

Later, when I had more money, I bought an LHT frame and built it up the way I wanted, including custom, hand-built wheels. It has been wonderful - excellent features, pleasurable to ride, and bulletproof.

Each of these bikes gave me great enjoyment by allowing me to tour. There were benefits to spending more money on a better bike, but all three were good at the time.

I'm glad there are still good choices for people who want to tour, but who don't have a lot of money. It's good to have a real tourer that's inexpensive, and this is one.
Old 08-29-16, 09:47 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As a class of bicycle, touring bikes are generally a good value, this one is darn near exceptional.

Fuji has always made a respected touring bike frame set, for themselves and for other brands. At this price point there has to be some serious cost cutting. The drive train is low end, but reliable. The wheels would probably be improved by having them re-tensioned and re-trued, but I now think that's true of any OEM or off the shelf wheel set. Gearing looks like what many can live with. The lack of rivnuts for a third water bottle cage isn't a deal breaker and the spoke holder and the rear rack are a plus.

Brad
Old 08-29-16, 10:09 AM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agree with the statements above. Deores are stout and have served me well. With the savings you could swap out to XT stuff and still be around 8-900. I think the big cost cutting here is probably wheelset, frame (probably heavier/basic), saddle, and the Oval Concept stuff. Again, I'd wear all of that stuff out and replace as needed with the savings.
Old 08-29-16, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The Fuji Touring has generally been a Meh. bike for me. If it works for people go for it but I have never been that excited. Fuji just hasn't been a brand that gets me interested very often. It is cool they have a touring bike because some brands don't but it never feels like they really invest in it. Other brands try and make more touring and adventuring stuff and really promote it and update it often but Fuji doesn't.
Old 08-29-16, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Fuji Touring has generally been a Meh. bike for me. If it works for people go for it but I have never been that excited. Fuji just hasn't been a brand that gets me interested very often. It is cool they have a touring bike because some brands don't but it never feels like they really invest in it. Other brands try and make more touring and adventuring stuff and really promote it and update it often but Fuji doesn't.
Well said. That bike seems to occupy a pricepoint and continues to exist because it can be sold at the pricepoint where very few others exist.
It doesnt exist because its the best at anything. It doesnt exist because its marketed well. It exists because it meets a pricepoint and has inherent demand as a result.

A utilitarian reason for a utilitarian bike to exist. Kinda appropriate, i suppose.

As an owner of a 26yo Fuji touring bike...the real Fuji before it became a name only...itd be great to see more Fuji on the road, regardless of the bike's age.

You really cant argue with what ASI(Fuji owner) has done since buying the name. Fuji's sales have grown exponentially since being purchased in the late 90s. So despite minimal(no?) advertising and pushing of their touring bike, the brand is quite healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.