Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 07:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
I don't think I hate myself enough to ride the trainer all those days, yet its going to be hard to layer up enough to not get pneumonia. This is going to be tricky
My father has a golfing buddy who says there is never bad weather for golf, only bad clothing. I used to apply that philosophy to bicycling. But now, I'd much rather be warm and dry on the trainer than cold and wet and outside.
Old 12-07-16, 08:22 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Cold isn't too bad, I'm comfortable into the 20s which is as cold as it gets where I live. If it's raining and <50 degrees, though, I hang it up and ride the trainer.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-07-16, 09:30 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
at what temperature does one get pneumonia?
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My father has a golfing buddy who says there is never bad weather for golf, only bad clothing. I used to apply that philosophy to bicycling. But now, I'd much rather be warm and dry on the trainer than cold and wet and outside.
gear matters, but short of maybe a wetsuit riding in 2C and rain for 2hrs would be uncomfortable.

as for 'hurrdurr he's a californian he doesn't understand cold' - i'm from Canada, where I grew up having to run in -40C (-40F) in 3 ft of snow while wearing ski googles. I raced national XC in shorts and a singlet at -15C, been surfing in the Atlantic in December, gone camping in the winter (quinzhee's are pretty cool) etc. However, i'm pretty sure the coldest I've ever been is on a 6hr ride in the Alps where it was maybe only 3-5C and pissing rain. Maybe if I had worn better gear I wouldn't have got a fever and been forced to spend the next 2 days in bed, but it seems that if youre going to be climbing in that weather you probably want a follow car to carry your clothes up the climb so you don't overheat and then change at the top (or better yet, just jump in the car for a descent...)

anyway, looks like i might be giving zwift a try today
Old 12-07-16, 09:42 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is a stupid thing to have a pissing contest about. Shrinkage, freezage, etc
Old 12-07-16, 09:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
i'm pretty sure the coldest I've ever been is on a 6hr ride in the Alps where it was maybe only 3-5C and pissing rain. Maybe if I had worn better gear I wouldn't have got a fever and been forced to spend the next 2 days in bed, but it seems that if youre going to be climbing in that weather you probably want a follow car to carry your clothes up the climb so you don't overheat and then change at the top (or better yet, just jump in the car for a descent...)
That's the most dangerous weather there is. I have gone hypothermic in those conditions and you don't realize you're fubar until it's too late. The scariest ride of my life was realizing that I was in a foreign country 20 miles from where I was staying and in real trouble, and slowly losing coordination and balance while I rode as fast as I could. Then I got to my sister's place and couldn't even use my hands to open the door or peel off my clothes. My brother in law still gives me **** for having to strip me down, but I'd like to think that deep down he enjoyed it.

Anyway you may be from Canada but you've gone Cali soft, in the North East we call that Tuesday.

Allow Raul Julia to metaphorically school you on our bad weather protocols in these here parts.
Old 12-07-16, 10:46 AM
topflightpro

Old 12-07-16, 11:05 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
That's the most dangerous weather there is. I have gone hypothermic in those conditions and you don't realize you're fubar until it's too late. The scariest ride of my life was realizing that I was in a foreign country 20 miles from where I was staying and in real trouble, and slowly losing coordination and balance while I rode as fast as I could. Then I got to my sister's place and couldn't even use my hands to open the door or peel off my clothes. My brother in law still gives me **** for having to strip me down, but I'd like to think that deep down he enjoyed it.

Anyway you may be from Canada but you've gone Cali soft, in the North East we call that Tuesday.

Allow Raul Julia to metaphorically school you on our bad weather protocols in these here parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs
Your brother in law gives you crap, but the real question is how do your parents handle it? I mean, they're at a penguin mixer, and the drunk penguin comes up and says, "How's that son of yours that goes hypothermic in Europe? He wouldn't last 5 seconds in Antartica!"
Old 12-07-16, 11:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I already get the Jewish guilt, I don't need penguin guilt on top of it!
Old 12-07-16, 02:49 PM
topflightpro

I'm not sure how many, if any of you guys are interested, but Infinit Nutrition is having its Buy One, Get One free sale on Friday. They do custom mixes, and I've been pretty happy with mine.
Old 12-07-16, 03:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
I did a 9 mile climb on the mtb once and the temp dropped like a rock and it started snowing at the top. I didn't have any extra layers with me for the descent. That may have been the coldest I ever felt. I was sick for a couple weeks after that.
Been caught in hailstorms wearing shorts and short sleeves, those little stones sting!
I remember riding my off-road motorcycle when I got so cold I couldn't feel the bike. I could hear the engine but I felt like I was floating along above it. Don't know how I didn't fall.
Or when my nose runs with a full-face helmet so I can't wipe the nose and get frozen snot caked on the moustache.
Old 12-07-16, 06:17 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Houston for an interview at the medical center, this place is a behemoth! Anyone live here and care to comment on the quality of life? Bike friendly? Stuff to do? etc. ?

I'm anticipating an offer from this one but I'm just not sure how I feel about the living here.
Old 12-07-16, 06:21 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
lightening is bad weather for golfing
Old 12-07-16, 06:24 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I'm in Houston for an interview at the medical center, this place is a behemoth! Anyone live here and care to comment on the quality of life? Bike friendly? Stuff to do? etc. ?

I'm anticipating an offer from this one but I'm just not sure how I feel about the living here.
Have you been in the summer?
Old 12-07-16, 07:51 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
fair. when i go home for christmas i'll be wearing like 3 coats and still be cold. took only about a week of living in california before i thought 1C was 'frigid' instead of 'sandals weather'.
Old 12-07-16, 07:53 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116

@TexMac is a Houston guy, he could fill you in.

Re: weather, it's pretty much the same as where I live - you can ride all year, but the heat and humidity in the summer keep your rides to morning time. Freezing weather is newsworthy. I'm originally from NY and PA, and it took about a year to adapt.

Weekend stage races always have one race in the afternoon heat, usually it's the TT. In LAMBRA, TTs tend to be 5 km for that reason.

Houston is within driving range of Texas hill country, pretty nice riding out there.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-07-16, 07:55 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
This is a stupid thing to have a pissing contest about. Shrinkage, freezage, etc
'tis the season I guess

my race videos
Old 12-07-16, 08:36 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I'm not sure how many, if any of you guys are interested, but Infinit Nutrition is having its Buy One, Get One free sale on Friday. They do custom mixes, and I've been pretty happy with mine.
Good to know, time to stock up! No coupon code? Maybe they sent me an email, I should check.
Old 12-07-16, 10:42 PM
rankin116

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck

Re: weather, it's pretty much the same as where I live - you can ride all year, but the heat and humidity in the summer keep your rides to morning time. Freezing weather is newsworthy. I'm originally from NY and PA, and it took about a year to adapt.

Weekend stage races always have one race in the afternoon heat, usually it's the TT. In LAMBRA, TTs tend to be 5 km for that reason.

Houston is within driving range of Texas hill country, pretty nice riding out there.
Thanks, much appreciated. I was in NY for 35 years, been in NC for 1.5 now and am still adjusting.
Old 12-08-16, 12:35 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Don't mind them SoCal types. They do not understand cold (Compared to you I don't even understand cold, -22 yikes!)
haha.

no pissing contest here -- just posting something to (i hope!) make everyone feel better about their situation. i still got outside.

i just have never met anyone who got an illness (bacterial) due to cold temps -- whatever "cold" might mean to someone.
Old 12-08-16, 10:55 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck

He's right you can ride all year. The humidity is what "kills" cold weather guys but that's till May-August. Houston has plenty of rideble roads especially Northwest or west part of town. There is a a HUGE cycling community here and this shocks alot of newcomers . Let me know if you are around and we can ride. Pm me.
Old 12-08-16, 04:11 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just have never met anyone who got an illness (bacterial) due to cold temps -- whatever "cold" might mean to someone.
really? 100% of the fevers I've had in the last 5 years (I don't care about a sore throat or cough, they're hardly going to make me bedridden) came immediately following exposure too long in temperatures I was not well dressed for. 'pneumonia' is a bit of an exaggeration (i've never actually had it, but my sister did), but i've definitely gotten sick from exposure in cold weather way more than could be explained from just coincidence (though more likely to be viral like rhinovirus or influenza than bacterial)
Old 12-08-16, 05:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I think that is body recovering from exposure, not temperature. So the body has to work extra hard to keep core temp going. It is similar to increasing chances of getting sick after hard physical efforts.

Or maybe you are so fit and lean that you've reach that fragile state of peak athletes.
Old 12-08-16, 06:06 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
isn't it precisely the body being exposed to cold temperatures? if i was spending time outside at 80F i wouldnt get sick...
i mean, the doctors tend to say im on the border of underweight, so perhaps im more susceptible to these things.
Old 12-09-16, 01:31 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really? 100% of the fevers I've had in the last 5 years (I don't care about a sore throat or cough, they're hardly going to make me bedridden) came immediately following exposure too long in temperatures I was not well dressed for. 'pneumonia' is a bit of an exaggeration (i've never actually had it, but my sister did), but i've definitely gotten sick from exposure in cold weather way more than could be explained from just coincidence (though more likely to be viral like rhinovirus or influenza than bacterial)
yeah, really. you said pneumonia, so i kind of playfully ran with that... but, yes, getting sick is not related to temperature.

being underdressed (colder) might make one's body work harder so there are less reserves to fight off normal contagions, but the cold isn't making anyone sick.

@thekillerpenguin's hypothermia example is something different (and not bacterial/viral).

isn't it precisely the body being exposed to cold temperatures? if i was spending time outside at 80F i wouldnt get sick...
i mean, the doctors tend to say im on the border of underweight, so perhaps im more susceptible to these things.
no, if you come into contact with bacteria and are not practicing good hygiene, you still might get sick at 80F. people do get sick in the summer, too.

maybe when it is cold people don't wash their hands as well/as long (cold water isn't pleasant), or maybe during the cold weather season you are riding/running through some puddles which might splash onto your face/hands/clothing.

i dunno -- but again cold doesn't *cause* illness.

if you are ~5% BF, that's a very delicate place to be that *usually* involves teetering on the edge of eating just enough while still often being active. not much of a buffer.

operating rooms are pretty darn cold for how a patient is dressed.

also note: surgeons don't wear parkas to stave off infection risk -- they wash up thoroughly and wear masks. ;-)
Old 12-09-16, 06:52 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
yeah, really. you said pneumonia, so i kind of playfully ran with that... but, yes, getting sick is not related to temperature.

being underdressed (colder) might make one's body work harder so there are less reserves to fight off normal contagions, but the cold isn't making anyone sick.

@thekillerpenguin's hypothermia example is something different (and not bacterial/viral).

no, if you come into contact with bacteria and are not practicing good hygiene, you still might get sick at 80F. people do get sick in the summer, too.

maybe when it is cold people don't wash their hands as well/as long (cold water isn't pleasant), or maybe during the cold weather season you are riding/running through some puddles which might splash onto your face/hands/clothing.

i dunno -- but again cold doesn't *cause* illness.

if you are ~5% BF, that's a very delicate place to be that *usually* involves teetering on the edge of eating just enough while still often being active. not much of a buffer.

operating rooms are pretty darn cold for how a patient is dressed.

also note: surgeons don't wear parkas to stave off infection risk -- they wash up thoroughly and wear masks. ;-)
don't know how this works out in the southern hemisphere but usually winter in europe coincides with an influenza wave. flu shots are given in autumn to combat this. I think this is where the idea of cold weather -> illness comes from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.