Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

one person tent advice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

one person tent advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 07:00 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
There's no question that Big Agnes has some really lightweight tents. But the material is pretty thin on some of these tents to get them that light. How has the tent held up in bad storms? Do you feel like you have to use extra care in setting the tent up and taking it down? The Fly Creek UL 2 looks awesome in terms of weight to size but when I looked at one in the store, I was concerned by how thin the material was.
I've used mine, so far, for ~100 camping nights including some severe weather and it's held up well. The photo above was from my recent tour and it still looks great. I'm not sure how it'll wear compared to other heavy-weight high-end tents but I'll pit-it against any cheap-o and I'm sure it'll come out on top. I think all tents have limited life so if it ends up costing one-or-two dollars-a-night that's not too bad IMO.
Old 01-19-17, 09:58 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My understanding is that Big agnes makes heavier versions of their UL tents, with heavier supposedly more durable material. The spec sheets should give you the right info. Trust an REI clerk for good info? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Old 01-19-17, 10:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Do you feel like you have to use extra care in setting the tent up and taking it down? The Fly Creek UL 2 looks awesome in terms of weight to size but when I looked at one in the store, I was concerned by how thin the material was.
Yeah. When I first got mine I was a bit taken aback by the seemingly fragile material. Unless I ever find myself pitching on an immaculate lawn, I will always use a plastic ground sheet. I am hard on things so I feel better with the extra protection. Have used mine maybe 25-30 nights and it's held up well so far. Cannot remember it weathering any bad storms with high winds, but it has certainly kept me dry in a few downpours and long rain events. One day last year it was pitched for maybe 12 hrs. It probably rained to one degree or another for 9 or 10 of those hours. No problems.
Old 01-19-17, 01:48 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I think all tents have limited life so if it ends up costing one-or-two dollars-a-night that's not too bad IMO.
I like this. It appeals to my inner accountant. If you amortize the initial cost over the lifespan and number of uses, a cheap tent used once or twice becomes more expensive than an expensive tent used dozens of times.

My motto is buy once, cry once.
Old 01-19-17, 02:37 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I like this. It appeals to my inner accountant. If you amortize the initial cost over the lifespan and number of uses, a cheap tent used once or twice becomes more expensive than an expensive tent used dozens of times.
Possible, but the economics haven't worked out like that for me. My $10 tent was used for probably 150 nights between various car-camping, backpacking, canoe-camping, and bike-camping trips. It was still in good shape so I gave it to a friend for his kids to use for overnights in the backyard. None of my more expensive tents since then have come close to being as economical on a per-use basis.
Old 01-19-17, 03:50 PM
TrikeFan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Big Agnus Fly Creek. UL 1.The weight is 38oz including 6 ti stakes,foot print and 2 stuffsack.Its a bit cramped when i add 2 large panniers but if you're looking for light weight,its an option.
Old 01-19-17, 05:11 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by prathmann
My $10 tent was used for probably 150 nights between various car-camping, backpacking, canoe-camping, and bike-camping trips.
A $10 tent! Do tell!
Old 01-19-17, 05:26 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
A $10 tent! Do tell!
It was on sale at a 'Meijer's Thrifty Acres' discount store back in '72. Single wall, nominally 2-person A-frame. It worked ok but had significant condensation under the wrong conditions and depended on long guylines to hold up the two poles. Easy for someone to trip on them at night when set up in a crowded campground.
Old 01-19-17, 06:20 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
It was on sale at a 'Meijer's Thrifty Acres' discount store back in '72. Single wall, nominally 2-person A-frame. It worked ok but had significant condensation under the wrong conditions and depended on long guylines to hold up the two poles. Easy for someone to trip on them at night when set up in a crowded campground.
Always someone lurking in the shadows waiting to pull the trump card!

A $10 tent is certainly not the norm, so I'll remain with my original statement.
Old 01-19-17, 06:51 PM
BigAura

Yep. I had something similar I bought at Two-Guys Department Store in Hackensack, NJ in the late 60's. It had the same issues as yours. I was wet inside on several occasions, but still had fun. With regular seam-sealing mine lasted 10 years. It weighed in at about 5-6 pounds. I think it was $12, but can't remember for sure.
Old 01-20-17, 10:20 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Looking for a good quality one person, 3 season tent. I'm also thinking about some of the smaller 2 person tents as well (sometimes I've seen them described as 1.5 person tents).

I think I want a "conventional" tent with a fly and an inner but I'd look at other tents as well. Ideally the vestibule would work to let me do some cooking in bad weather. Weight matters but it's not everything as I want the thing to be able to hold up in a storm.

I'm leaning towards the MSR Hubba NX 1 but I'm curious to see the tents that others are using and why they think it works as a good tent for bike touring.

Within reason, my budget is flexible.
I have toured in mild weather using cheap, small tents but for extended touring with foul weather I invested in something much better, a Hilleberg Akto. It is a bit heavy by modern standards and not freestanding but i have pitched on solid rock and survived some truely terrifying storm conditions.

Figure out how bad you can expect conditions to get.

Small tents have small vestubules and i am never happy cooking in mine.
Old 01-20-17, 11:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
I have toured in mild weather using cheap, small tents but for extended touring with foul weather I invested in something much better, a Hilleberg Akto. It is a bit heavy by modern standards and not freestanding but i have pitched on solid rock and survived some truely terrifying storm conditions.

Figure out how bad you can expect conditions to get.

Small tents have small vestubules and i am never happy cooking in mine.
Those are beautiful tents but likely more than I want to spend.
Old 10-22-18, 10:14 PM
newenglandbikes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend the Vango Banshee 200 -- solid tent for one person.
Old 10-23-18, 07:44 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
REI makes some outstanding tents for the money. We use a half dome plus 2 and like it because it has vestibules for our panniers. They make a solo version as well. REI has a solid reputation for their house branded gear and we've only had good experiences with it.
Old 10-23-18, 07:45 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I’ve had good results with an REI Quarterdome tent. Two person tent is luxurious.
Old 10-23-18, 08:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
ZOMBIE

... but after a few more trips I still stick with wanting a two person for room for myself and my gear. My Big Agnes Tumble 2 has made a nice replacement for my two decade old Eureka Apex 2 over the last two summers.
Old 10-23-18, 08:51 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Those are beautiful tents but likely more than I want to spend.
more than a year and a half on, did you end up getting one?
Up here in Canada, light one man freestanding tents start at 300, 350 with taxes and go all the way up to an eyewatering 700+ pretax.
Old 10-23-18, 09:06 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I really like my Hilleberg Enan. Very quick setup, very stormproof. Can also set it up "dry," i.e. set up the fly (along with footprint if you have one), and then put up the inner. It's small for a sleeping area, which is fine for me, but it has a huge vestibule space. You can see in the pic that all four panniers are in the vestibule, and there is still room left over.

Old 10-23-18, 09:21 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
the one thing with HIlleberg tents (other than being very pricey) is that as a lifelong camper in Canada and elsewhere with very hot and humid summers, they just dont have the ventilation of traditional two part tents with a very meshy inner body and rain proof seperate fly for on top.
Would be pretty darn uncomfortable for hot weather camping.
I spent enough nights when younger in tents that had little ventilation and always appreciate modern designs.
Old 10-23-18, 09:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
more than a year and a half on, did you end up getting one?
Up here in Canada, light one man freestanding tents start at 300, 350 with taxes and go all the way up to an eyewatering 700+ pretax.
I ended up getting a big agnes seedhouse sl2 which weighs 3 lbs 6 ounces and is luxurious for one person. I just need to bite the bullet and buy a better mattress!
Old 10-23-18, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Looking for a good quality one person, 3 season tent. I'm also thinking about some of the smaller 2 person tents as well (sometimes I've seen them described as 1.5 person tents).

I think I want a "conventional" tent with a fly and an inner but I'd look at other tents as well. Ideally the vestibule would work to let me do some cooking in bad weather. Weight matters but it's not everything as I want the thing to be able to hold up in a storm.

I'm leaning towards the MSR Hubba NX 1 but I'm curious to see the tents that others are using and why they think it works as a good tent for bike touring.

Within reason, my budget is flexible.
I've used the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, the Seedhouse 1 and the Fly Creek UL1. The Seedhouse 1 wasn't one of the ultralights and weighed just about as much as the SL2. However, my go to tent is the Fly Creek. It's light, durable and easy to set up. It's also a pretty small package on the rack. It doesn't have a lot of head room but I'm not one to spend a lot of time in a tent. I set up the tent, eat and go to bed. Here it is packed and unpacked.

I've had mine since 2011 and only the stuff sack is showing any kind of wear.

It's the orange bag below the blue and gray one

DSCN1255 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

2015-05-03 11.38.54 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

DSCN1257 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

IMG_0037 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I don't take my gear into the tent...I grew up in and live in bear country...so I don't need the extra room. Something else I've found when using such a small tent is that it stays a bit warmer. Body heat gets trapped in any tent but the more volume you have, the larger the heat loss. A small tent stays warmer because you aren't heating such a large volume.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-23-18, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are essentially bivvy bags with hoops ,
But, you have to get out of the tent to put your shoes on.

I'd not get one of those, although it is a way to make it really light..

2 person not much more .. you compare, your question..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-30-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 10:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I tried one of the newer designed ultra light tents that is single wall (roof is also the ceiling) tents that use trekking poles. The two person model with vestibule worked out pretty well for one person with some gear. The single wall ones can have significant condensation on damp mornings however. Thus, you learn to try to avoid touching the ceiling in the morning, which is one reason why two people in one of these tents would be a disaster. But one person sleeping in the middle where you have some headroom is not bad. Was reasonably light weight and plenty of room. Since I do not carry trekking poles on a bike, I cut some other tent poles down to size to use instead.

In this photo, since this is not self supporting I had to jam twigs in between the planks in the shelter floor to substitute for tent stakes. Bit of a hassle but it worked. Tent is a Big Agnes Scout Plus. I got it on a clearance sale when they changed colors and discounted the older ones. So far used it on a one week bike tour (West Texas, was quite dry) and a two week bike tour (South Florida, quite damp), it is a keeper.

But, some people that are strongly opposed to any condensation on the ceiling would hate this tent.

I have an older REI brand solo tent (Chrysalis model) that I used to use, weighs about the same but very small and not enough vestibule to put much gear in. So I think this newer one (above) will be my go to tent in the future, replacing the Chrysalis shown below for comparison.

Old 10-23-18, 02:35 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I tried one of the newer designed ultra light tents that is single wall (roof is also the ceiling) tents that use trekking poles.
Just out of curiosity, do you regularly bring trekking poles? I can see where the idea would be useful while hiking, where one likely already has them, just intrigued in what benefit you see in them over regular tent poles for bike touring.
Old 10-23-18, 04:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Just out of curiosity, do you regularly bring trekking poles? I can see where the idea would be useful while hiking, where one likely already has them, just intrigued in what benefit you see in them over regular tent poles for bike touring.
You missed it where I said (underlining added for emphasis):

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I tried one of the newer designed ultra light tents that is single wall (roof is also the ceiling) tents that use trekking poles. The two person model with vestibule worked out pretty well for one person with some gear. The single wall ones can have significant condensation on damp mornings however. Thus, you learn to try to avoid touching the ceiling in the morning, which is one reason why two people in one of these tents would be a disaster. But one person sleeping in the middle where you have some headroom is not bad. Was reasonably light weight and plenty of room. Since I do not carry trekking poles on a bike, I cut some other tent poles down to size to use instead
The two person tent that I used before weighed over 7 pounds, so I have been watching for a tent big enough to hold all my gear, some of which was in vestibule. On a week long trip if the forecast is likely dry, I am more inclined to use a one person tent and be cramped in a small tent. But if I am out for over a month, I would prefer to spread out with my gear in a 2 person tent. And I wanted a vestibule that was of a size and shape that if I needed to fire up a stove and heat water in the vestibule, I could. That tent met that criteria of a good size and shape for a stove on a windy day and tipped the scale at about half the weight of the tent I used before. Self supporting for that size and weight would have been nice, but I did not see any that I liked. I liked some of the Hilleberg tents I saw, but I have not won the lottery yet, so not ready to buy a Hilleberg tent yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.