Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bike repair stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 06:28 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand

Park Tool PCS-9.2 Home Mechanic Bicycle Repair Standhttps://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Mechanic-Repair-Stand/dp/B07PDS5M7H/ref=sr_1_4

These seem fairly comparable. Any suggestions on which I should buy? I have a cheaper bikehand stand that is not the most stable. I’m open to other suggestions too but think my budget ceiling is likely $200

Last edited by biketampa; 12-24-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 06:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F2S824/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RDvaEbACQ4Q33]Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand[/url]

Park Tool PCS-9.2 Home Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDS5M7H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6PvaEbGZ2VCBA

These seem fairly comparable. Any suggestions on which I should buy? I have a cheaper bikehand stand that is not the most stable. I’m open to other suggestions too but think my budget ceiling is likely $200
Your links don’t work. That said, I’d take the PCS-10.2 over the PCS-9.2. The clamp is better. I’m not a fan of holding a bike up while I mess around with a glorified wing nut. But, in the long run, you won’t regret spending another $90 and getting the PCS-4-2. It’s got a shop grade clamp that will outlast the sun. It’s easier to use than anything out there. There’s a reason you find them in just about every bike shop in the US.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-23-19, 07:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm happy with the Feedback Sports, which was a birthday gift. Realistically, my bikes don't need a lot of maintenance, and I was satisfied with just flipping them upside down to work on them. But the stand is certainly more comfortable and convenient. And it takes up very little space when folded up.

Granted, the pro shop stands are more sturdy.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 12-23-19 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 08:24 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm happy with the Feedback Sports, which was a birthday gift. Realistically, my bikes don't need a lot of maintenance, and I was satisfied with just flipping them upside down to work on them. But the stand is certainly more comfortable and convenient. And it takes up very little space when folded up.

Granted, the pro shop stands are more sturdy.
mine don’t require a ton of maintenance but I do occasionally swap out some components and such so a decent bike stand helps
Likes For biketampa:
Old 12-23-19, 10:19 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Feedback Pro Elite has been good to me for 10 years now.

https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...-repair-stand/. The tripod legs are very stable and the quick release ratcheting clamp is great. Lists for 270 but available all9ver for less.
Old 12-23-19, 10:24 PM
oldtrekguy

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400 2009 Kona Jake the Snake 1993 Bianchi Forza

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I recently purchase a Brand-X stand from Chain Reaction. The clamp is not as good as my Park PCS-4, but I was surprised how good the stand is for the money. CR is selling them (with a rubber mat to go underneath) for about $75. The other advantages over the Park is that it folds up smaller, and is pretty easy to throw in the back of a wagon/SUV for sag support.
Old 12-23-19, 10:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Ah, yes. I've got the Feedback Classic, which has a slightly less elaborate clamp, but still easy to use. And I concur that street prices are lower than list. Mine came about because my spouse and I were in the bike shop, she pointed to the stand and said: "Does that look like a good repair stand?" I said yes. It's been most useful for her bikes, which have drop bars.
Old 12-23-19, 11:33 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have been using the Feedback Sports Recreational https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...-repair-stand/ stand for a few years, and it's great, you do need to be aware of it's (and other designs) floor space requirements, I got the this model, as it is pretty compact in floor space needs, some of the nice/more expensive stands in their rage have tripod legs, which take up more floor space, which I don't really have, so check this out before buying.
Old 12-24-19, 06:53 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Son_Rising
I use the Park PCS-10 and it's been great. I keep it always set-up.
I do wish I had an area where I could leave a stand setup all the time.
Likes For biketampa:
Old 12-24-19, 06:57 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by jimc101
Have been using the Feedback Sports Recreational https://www.feedbacksports.com/produ...-repair-stand/ stand for a few years, and it's great, you do need to be aware of it's (and other designs) floor space requirements, I got the this model, as it is pretty compact in floor space needs, some of the nice/more expensive stands in their rage have tripod legs, which take up more floor space, which I don't really have, so check this out before buying.
thanks. I don’t really have floor space requirements as I either set it up in the driveway or on my back deck. For me I’d like it to be a little more stable. My current stand is a $99 bikehand stand I bought 4-5 years ago. It’s been okay but it’s not the most stable and I would not be confident turning bike upside down on it
Old 12-24-19, 07:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I do wish I had an area where I could leave a stand setup all the time.
It's a great convenience to have my stand set up all the time. I often just clamp a bike in it after returning from a ride.

biketampa , I think all of the stands from Park and Feedback Sports are okay, so you likely won't go wrong. I have the Park PCS-10 and am perfectly happy with it, and the 10.2 looks the same except for a little additional bracing at the base, which should make it even more stable.
Old 12-24-19, 07:35 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
We use the Park Tool PCS 4.1 in the shop, installed hose clamps around where the legs fold for more stability and it stays up all the time. We also have a bench mounted stand for lighter work, I believe that is a Conquer like this . We supplement them with 2 of the Park Tool PCS 9 when we run our portable bike shop ops.

We also have a Bikehand and an Aldi stand that have been retired to just be washing stands. While they did get us going the Park Tool stands have stood up to the test.

Old 12-24-19, 08:55 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I have a Park Tool PCS-9. It does what I want and was a good price. I ended up getting it on sale for quite a bit off the regular price. I'm happy with it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it. The clamp is ok but there are better. I haven't used the PCS-10 series so I can't give input of the differences. I have used the stands in the local bike co-op and they are far better. With the PCS-9 I have to hold the bike up and tighten it down, like the glorified wing nut mentioned above. The clamps can get much better with other models.

Clamping aside, the stand itself is nice for what it is. I can do everything I need and the stand doesn't move around. The only time the stand moves is if I'm putting a lot of force to remove something. Admittedly, this doesn't happen much. Usually on an unsealed bottom bracket that hasn't been serviced for years or decades.

Going back to the bike co-op's stands, the heavier the stand the better in my opinion. Also the wider the base the better. The problem with a very heavy and fairly permanent stand is it doesn't compress easily or much. Not sure if space is a premium where you'll be wrenching.
Old 12-24-19, 09:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I've had a Feedback (then Ultimate Support) Pro Elite for years and love it. I also have a couple of the $20 Aldi stands that work just fine for cleaning/adjusting, nothing high stress. You can't really go wrong with the Park and Feedback higher level stands for the home mechanic.
Old 12-25-19, 04:30 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
We use the Park Tool PCS 4.1 in the shop, installed hose clamps around where the legs fold for more stability and it stays up all the time. We also have a bench mounted stand for lighter work, I believe that is a Conquer like this . We supplement them with 2 of the Park Tool PCS 9 when we run our portable bike shop ops.

We also have a Bikehand and an Aldi stand that have been retired to just be washing stands. While they did get us going the Park Tool stands have stood up to the test.
Forgot to mention we also have a Pre-1996 PRS-6 that was donated to the shop, the clamp has limited range so it is only good for narrow tubing or seat post attachment.

We did use it in our temporary Christmas Come True bike building shop, foreground right, as well as the Aldi and Bikehand ones in the background - 5 mechanics, no waiting We build 171 bikes for the kids in about 2 weeks

Last edited by JoeTBM; 12-25-19 at 04:34 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 12-25-19, 04:54 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I was looking for either the park our feedback sports stands when this one showed up for sale at a deal I went to. It has worked great for the three years I have owned it,

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...prepstand--pro
Old 12-25-19, 06:38 AM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I bought this:
https://www.surehands.com/assets/pdf...SH_1002_us.pdf
on
https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/ref_tex...13B_online.htm
priced at USD 1,842.51
It's from stainless steel A4 (aka grade 316) and ment as a cart to carry a motor that lifts people for medical reasons.
It has 4 turnable heavy duty wheels, fixable in place.
I put some inner tube rubber over the existing, just to be sure to not damage it.
Proved as very handy. Done with messing around outside with bike upside down. And when the work not finished, just roll it out the way and later roll it back.
Can highly recommend it.

note: I found this secondhand for 10 euro but it's worth all 1842.51 USD there.
Old 12-25-19, 06:41 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I have a cheap $30 bicycle work stand, which has a similar upper part as the Aldi work stand, except the lower legs are fixed at right angles so that it cannot be folded. For me, the fixed legs are fine, since they rest flat on the ground, so I can still stick boxes or roll bicycles wheels over the legs. The stand is a little bit flexible because the legs are at right angles, without diagonal bracing. But I don't really mind.
Old 12-25-19, 08:23 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
If you don’t already, start perusing the Craigslist listings for bikes, bike parts, and tools with the sub, bike, for stands that someone inherited or someone is no longer using...and keep watching the ads to upgrade you equipment...when you get to the sellers house, always ask if they have any other bike stuff...you will be surprised at what you can end up with...
Old 12-25-19, 08:58 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
If you don’t already, start perusing the Craigslist listings for bikes, bike parts, and tools with the sub, bike, for stands that someone inherited or someone is no longer using...and keep watching the ads to upgrade you equipment...when you get to the sellers house, always ask if they have any other bike stuff...you will be surprised at what you can end up with...
...also look under sports, sub bikes...just found a bike repair stand with an interesting clamp with a very negotiable price...

Last edited by billnuke1; 12-25-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 11:41 AM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Alot times the cheapest solutions are those that get used outside their original purpose.
Ex buy a metalcage basket for luggage on top of a front or rear rack in a bicycle shop. A couple tens of $.
Buy a metalcage basket for freezer or refrigerator purpose. A couple $.
Basically the product is nearly identical: insulated wire and equally thick.
Old 12-25-19, 02:35 PM
velocentrik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Somewhere I've got an Ultimate Sport Mechanic stand. I never use it. The tripod design just isn't stable enough to work on bikes without letting the stand dictate positions and balance.

What I use constantly and in my opinion what were some of the best stands ever made were the old pro shop quality Rock Bike Stands. Pedro's licensed or bought them out, I don't remember. I picked up a two-clamp shop Pedro's Rock stand and I think I only paid $300. Not bad for a stand that would have retailed for about $1300. The steel base plate is pretty expensive to source. When you get a shop stand you have a couple of options, bolting into the floor, cutting out a farm tractor steel wheel center, or getting a true flat steel plate. Finding a good source for discount steel, aluminum stock is a really big deal to bring down the cost of a shop stand.

I never use my Park shop stand. I don't even remember if its a one or a two-clamp stand. I just the Park as a bicycle storage hook these days. I'm just not impressed with Park stuff anymore. I like Var, Pedro's and some other stuff. You can commonly find a Park shop stand for sale on Craigslist for less than $200 if you are patient and you look.

To me a portable stand is just a waste of money. With a 29er, a tandem, a full suspension bike, they are pretty much worthless as a repair stand except in a single position that will balance.

Still, the really kool guy setup if you have the money these days is an EZ-lift stand. I've been thinking of setting my Pedro's up with a pulley and counterweight. It's a great design:

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...t-repair-stand

Some pics of the Pedro's Rock stand and clamps. Heirloom quality stand beyond what most pro shops have, and you can find them cheap on Craigslist because no one knows what it is. Happy hunting.

Old 12-25-19, 05:27 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by billnuke1
Yep. I’ve been keeping an eye out on Craigslist. I’m in no hurry as my current stand is functional.
Old 12-25-19, 09:22 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I ran a bicycle recycling program in the early 2000's and we had half-a-dozen of the Park stands, very similar to the current one in your link, but not the exact design. I found that, without any support on the non-bike side, they were often tipping over. My current stand, by Ultimate Support (I believe it is discontinued now), is closer to the tripod model you linked to and a lot sturdier than the Parks I used to work with. The down-side of a tripod stand is that you always have to be careful not to trip over it. The legs of the Park stand are at ground level and not as much of a tripping hazard. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-26-19, 08:37 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I ran a bicycle recycling program in the early 2000's and we had half-a-dozen of the Park stands, very similar to the current one in your link, but not the exact design. I found that, without any support on the non-bike side, they were often tipping over. My current stand, by Ultimate Support (I believe it is discontinued now), is closer to the tripod model you linked to and a lot sturdier than the Parks I used to work with. The down-side of a tripod stand is that you always have to be careful not to trip over it. The legs of the Park stand are at ground level and not as much of a tripping hazard. Hope this helps a little.
how is the tripod design on a slight decline? My driveway where I will throw the bike on the stand to wash it slopes to the street. Not steep or anything. Like <5%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.