Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New or Used Touring Gear

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New or Used Touring Gear

Old 04-15-20, 03:15 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
New or Used Touring Gear

Hello all!

I've started to collect the items I feel are necessary to go on a small adventure close to home to test out my gear. It will be my first trip bicycle touring but I've ridden bikes for a while now, albeit it's been a few months since I last rode a decent amount.

I'm looking for items that I can buy in North America. I've tried using Pinkbike for used items and I've had luck with them in the past. I also use a local classified site to acquire goods but due to the pandemic I've stopped for the time being. I'm getting things slowly sent via Canada Post and I feel I have a good eye for decent equipment.

Has anyone had a good experience with buying used equipment? Do you have a preference for new? Any personal anecdotes from tours you have done in the past would help me try and decide whether to continue buying used equipment. I feel there are benefits to getting used but would like to hear some other opinions.
Old 04-15-20, 07:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Used should be much cheaper but make sure it's in decent condition. I would not hesitate to buy used if it's what I wanted for the trip. I sold old Cannondale barrel-shaped panniers and handlebar bag from my first trip to a friend who would be doing short tours in the U.S. There was a story to go with every scuff and repair on the bags.

Where are you located?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ort=BEST_MATCH

Last edited by thumpism; 04-15-20 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 04-15-20, 08:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Racks might be an item that's economical to buy used. Tents & panniers can accumulate UV damage but if time allows, I'm sure one can find good used stuff.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 04-15-20, 09:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I've bought a lot of used stuff over time.

One thing to note is that pannier styles (and even rack styles) are slowly evolving over time.

In particular, the triangle shaped panniers are less popular now.

There are also some mighty good roll-top and otherwise waterproof panniers available. Ortlieb, and a few other manufacturers.

For racks, look for something with decent rear support.

Another thing that is growing is "bike packing", which tends to have bags tied more securely to the bike, and less reliance on panniers.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-16-20, 07:51 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Hi!

I'm located in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. I've been doing some research before I buy and think I know what I need. I have bought, so far, a Kuwahara Caravan, a Brooks B17 saddle, Arkel handlebar bag, Tubus rack (can't remember the model) to name a few.

I'm looking for panniers now and have my eyes on a set on Pinkbike; they're Arkel as well. I'm trying to get good used equipment and save money so I can travel longer once travel is allowed in Ontario.
Old 04-16-20, 08:16 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Used stuff is subject to several different factors affecting its suitability. As DropBarFan points out, tents can accumulate UV damage, but if someone took a one week trip every year for five years, their tent might only have a couple of dozen settings in it, and most of its use at night. On the other hand, there have been technical advances, as Clifford points out, may make new equipment superior.
Old 04-16-20, 09:20 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by Pratt
Used stuff is subject to several different factors affecting its suitability. As DropBarFan points out, tents can accumulate UV damage, but if someone took a one week trip every year for five years, their tent might only have a couple of dozen settings in it, and most of its use at night. On the other hand, there have been technical advances, as Clifford points out, may make new equipment superior.
Thanks Pratt!

I've never bought a tent before and I didn't know what to look for. There's an old tent at home that I was planning on using. I didn't want to take a long distance trip before I can trust my gear so I was planning on going to a local campsite and trying things out once I am able.

I have a stove too that I was hoping to test out too! I'm thankful that I'm making the time to learn a little more about what's needed and what to look for. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-16-20, 10:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
I would not feel comfortable using a used, liquid fuel stove.
Old 04-16-20, 10:10 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I would not feel comfortable using a used, liquid fuel stove.

Indyfabz...as long as the stove is working I'm good. I draw the line at cutlery, utensils, bowls and cups. I'm good with used cooking equipment after washing and trying to disinfect. I wouldn't want to buy anything that comes in contact with someones mouth now due to Covid 19 so we'll see how the future goes.
Old 04-16-20, 10:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Chrisp72
Indyfabz...as long as the stove is working I'm good.
Not good enough for me that it's working. What condition are the fuel line and pump in? Don't want either to spring a leak due to rough treatment or neglect.
Old 04-16-20, 01:23 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Not good enough for me that it's working. What condition are the fuel line and pump in? Don't want either to spring a leak due to rough treatment or neglect.
Indyfabz...I hadn't thought about that. I've looked into getting decent, name branded items with a good reputation, at least in my eyes. I'll look at items in stores like MEC or REI and then start hunting for them in classified sites. I try my best to look the items over when I go to pick them up. Hopefully that's enough due diligence for at least one adventure. As I get to know more about what my needs are I'll try to make better decisions.

I'll try to use what I have on my maiden voyage and see if I like it and whether it can do the job. I don't plan on going for a long tour to start; I'll keep it short should something go wrong.
Old 04-16-20, 01:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
It is a roll of the dice, sometimes you get lucky. My five week tour last summer I used some front panniers I paid $8 USD for them. Someone had them as a garage sale item, still new with tags.

A year ago at a swap meet I picked up a set of old Cannondale Overland rear panniers for $15 USD that had very little use. I had a couple opportunities to more than double my money on them before I even left the swap meet but I chose to keep them.
Old 04-16-20, 02:51 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
It is a roll of the dice, sometimes you get lucky. My five week tour last summer I used some front panniers I paid $8 USD for them. Someone had them as a garage sale item, still new with tags.

A year ago at a swap meet I picked up a set of old Cannondale Overland rear panniers for $15 USD that had very little use. I had a couple opportunities to more than double my money on them before I even left the swap meet but I chose to keep them.
Tourist in MSN...that's quite the bargain. I haven't seen anything at that price point but will hopefully in the future.

While living in Vancouver, BC, Canada a friend of mine would go to Seattle for a swap meet. He always came back with amazing stories of finding bargains and seeing great items. I'm now living close to Toronto Ontario and I've seen bike expos here but wonder if they're worth it.
Old 04-16-20, 03:06 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I wouldn’t buy a used tent. They only last so long, even with light use. Once the seams start leaking, it’s either spending time and money to reseal, or live with a leaking tent.
Old 04-16-20, 05:43 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by alan s
I wouldn’t buy a used tent. They only last so long, even with light use. Once the seams start leaking, it’s either spending time and money to reseal, or live with a leaking tent.
Alan S...I haven't owned a tent in years and I know the technology for them is always advancing. I don't know what size tent I need; whether I'll be storing my bike inside the vestibule; what seasons I will be camping in; how much I can afford. I'll try getting a used tent and trying it out close to home to see how it is. I realize that buying new is probably a better idea and I assume I'll be able to travel and camp by bikes for some time now so it's worth the investment...once I have a trip under my belt I hope to know more about my wants and needs and take it from there. There's a lot to learn about a new hobby and I'm thankful to this group for info and ideas. Thanks for your input and at some point I would like to buy new; for now its a budget for sure.

Having said that...where would you choose to spend your money if you were starting out from scratch? To me there are certain things I have that I'm going to make do with until I need to replace them. I've got my eye on a used tent for a reasonable price that's within my budget for now. I have a new to me bike that I'm slowly making more road worthy and suitable for the task at hand. I want to get my feet wet once we're all able to comfortably get out of our houses and experience has always been a good teacher. I'm minimizing my risks by traveling close to home in case there's a big error and then branching out at a later date.
Old 04-16-20, 06:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The only big ticket item I have had to replace in the last 10 years is my supposedly high quality REI tent. If you can find a used one in good condition, go for it. However, as I mentioned, the seams are a weak point, as are the zippers. Rain will find its way in through the smallest weak point. The one thing that will make you completely miserable is trying to sleep in a wet tent. If you are only doing short trips and can go in good weather only, then the tent really doesn’t matter much. It will keep the dew off and bugs out.
Old 04-16-20, 06:15 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by alan s
The only big ticket item I have had to replace in the last 10 years is my supposedly high quality REI tent. If you can find a used one in good condition, go for it. However, as I mentioned, the seams are a weak point, as are the zippers. Rain will find its way in through the smallest weak point. The one thing that will make you completely miserable is trying to sleep in a wet tent. If you are only doing short trips and can go in good weather only, then the tent really doesn’t matter much. It will keep the dew off and bugs out.

Alan S...I just don't know at this point if investing a large amount of cash into a tent is a good idea before I know what the final form of touring will look like. I have many questions that need answering at some point...I figure testing things out on a short trip is a good way to learn, at least for me. To me there seems a trade off with something like a tent...I don't know of a reasonably priced tent that I can use for three seasons; I don't know if I'll store my bike inside; I don't know if I'll have a cycling partner or if it's just myself. After my maiden voyage I'll know more about my preferences and gear and if something goes wrong on a one day trip I'll be ok. I would like to get into touring by bike and so far in my life I really enjoy bicycles and camping. It sounds like a match made in heaven for me but the proof is in the pudding.
Old 04-16-20, 06:23 PM
indyfabz

Alan S...I haven't owned a tent in years....
Yet you wrote above that there’s and old tent at home. Have you tried to fit your bike in the vestibule?
Old 04-16-20, 06:30 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Yet you wrote above that there’s and old tent at home. Have you tried to fit your bike in the vestibule?
Indyfabz...No, not yet. I haven't been able to set it up and test things out. I hope to at some point by cycling to a campsite that's in my city so it's not too far. That will be my maiden voyage with my gear.
Old 04-16-20, 06:58 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I bought a 3-season tent a couple of years ago...on a fall tour I discovered there was a mesh vent in the top with no flap to close it off. When temp dropped to freezing it got chilly, so esp for Ontario I'd look for a tent that has closable vents.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 04-16-20, 07:32 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Used stuff... maybe. I sold a 25-year-old front carrier to someone on Craigslist. I had only used it once, maybe twice. The new owner got a stellar piece of equipment for a modest sum. A good deal. Similarly, a couple of weeks ago I sold a pair of never-worn bicycle shoes for a third of what I had paid three years earlier. Another good deal for a lucky buyer.

On the other hand, after my nearly-indestructible Cannondale panniers were on their final legs, I bought a pair of newer, second-hand Cannondale panniers on eBay. Despite being in excellent condition, they almost immediately started to tear and fall apart. They quickly became unusable and I was forced to replace them not long after I got them.

I don't think I would buy anything second-hand if the item is exposed to regular wear-and-tear. So I would stay away from racks, brake levers, saddles, drive train components, wheels, any parts that contain bearings, etc. Of course, buying new doesn't guarantee a long life to a component: there is a lot of crappy stuff out there. But buying second hand is inherently a gamble.

Even brand-new stuff, once you've had it for a while, needs replacement. I discovered this inconvenient truth when one of my pedal straps, which got a good workout over 15 cycling seasons, snapped on the first day of a long tour. I had to spend a chunk of time searching for a bicycle store so I could buy a replacement strap... a new replacement I should add.
Old 04-16-20, 08:14 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by acantor
Used stuff... maybe. I sold a 25-year-old front carrier to someone on Craigslist. I had only used it once, maybe twice. The new owner got a stellar piece of equipment for a modest sum. A good deal. Similarly, a couple of weeks ago I sold a pair of never-worn bicycle shoes for a third of what I had paid three years earlier. Another good deal for a lucky buyer.

On the other hand, after my nearly-indestructible Cannondale panniers were on their final legs, I bought a pair of newer, second-hand Cannondale panniers on eBay. Despite being in excellent condition, they almost immediately started to tear and fall apart. They quickly became unusable and I was forced to replace them not long after I got them.

I don't think I would buy anything second-hand if the item is exposed to regular wear-and-tear. So I would stay away from racks, brake levers, saddles, drive train components, wheels, any parts that contain bearings, etc. Of course, buying new doesn't guarantee a long life to a component: there is a lot of crappy stuff out there. But buying second hand is inherently a gamble.

Even brand-new stuff, once you've had it for a while, needs replacement. I discovered this inconvenient truth when one of my pedal straps, which got a good workout over 15 cycling seasons, snapped on the first day of a long tour. I had to spend a chunk of time searching for a bicycle store so I could buy a replacement strap... a new replacement I should add.
Acantor...I've had good luck so far with most of the stuff I've picked up via Kijiji but I haven't put it through the wringer yet. I'm trying not to impulse buy the things I see online now and so far I've succeeded. Most people on here are suggesting that buying new is the way to go so far so I'll have to rethink my ways. There are some things I've been lucky enough to acquire and as of now I don't know how they will be when I go to use them; that includes my bike. I suppose I'm going to have to start with what I have and look to trusted stores in the area with good return policies. MEC used to be a decent place for bike related goods but I haven't been there for a while. I like to look over the REI catalog and maybe one day when the US is in better shape I'll take a trip down to Rochester and take a look in person.

I think ultimately my new plan as of now is to buy new. Saving money for new purchases is going to start and I'll research and ask many questions before I buy.
Old 04-16-20, 08:18 PM
indyfabz

My iggy list grows longer.
Old 04-16-20, 09:09 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Indyfabz...as long as the stove is working I'm good. I draw the line at cutlery, utensils, bowls and cups. I'm good with used cooking equipment after washing and trying to disinfect. I wouldn't want to buy anything that comes in contact with someones mouth now due to Covid 19 so we'll see how the future goes.
The virus dies within hours or days depending on surface. So unless you use it right away without washing it shouldn't be an issue. Soapwater dissolves and kills the lipid virus membrane. I assume anyone would wash used dishes. Thats why handwashing is recommended.

I would be more concerned about physically meeting and exchanging cash or goods with people since that breaks isolation.

When you go out you also eat and drink from used dishes.
Old 04-16-20, 09:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Check out amazon warehouse deals, if it says used like new or even used very good with damaged packaging often it means packaging was damaged and they don't feel they can sell as new. I've bought a 700 diamondback road for my kid and it was new and undamaged for 150.00. Park repair pro stand, box had a hole in it and was missing the park sticker they toss in the box to stick on your tool box, paid 100 less then wholesale cost and it didn't have a scratch. They've got a camping section as well that'll be worth looking at. I buy a lot of stuff that way, probably 60% of my Amazon purchases come from there and only 3 items have had to be returned, used good or used acceptable is a real crap shoot and was what the returns I've had to do were listed as, course it's also where some of the best bargains have come from as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.