Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Unknown (80's?) frame with Campy/Shimano Mix

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 12:35 PM
ABQIan

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Bianchi Vigorelli, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Cross Check, EAI Bareknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, new member. I hope this is the correct category for my question.

My neighbor is selling bikes on behalf of an older mechanic friend, and the friend thinks this bike might be a Guerciotti. I rather doubt it based on the details, but I thought I'd toss it out there to people with more expertise.

There are no decals. There's a 60 on the BB shell which I figure is the size as it measures accordingly. The parts are a mix of Campy, Suntour, and Shimano. 700c wheels. There is a clover-like pattern on the BB shell and one of the lugs -- definitely not a Colnago clover -- some dots on the upper seatstay, and a G (or C?) in a weird place on the head lug that I suppose leads to the Guercotti theory, although I've never seen anything like it.

My guess is this is someone's handbuilt frame. Wondering if anybody sees anything to indicate a different provenance. In either case, any ideas on a good asking price are welcome -- our mechanic friend set the bike up beautifully but hasn't a clue about selling stuff online.

Thanks so much.

Likes For ABQIan:
Old 04-21-20, 01:39 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=Grandis
Old 04-21-20, 02:32 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
As noted on another forum, that fork may not be original. To my eye it does not match the era of the frame.
The fruit salad parts mix is a turn off, personally, as are the mismatched (it appears) rims.
The current CL asking of $525 is a reach. Likely to sell in the $400 or LESS as a complete bike, or lower if the fork is indeed a replacement.
Maximum return will come in parting it out.
Old 04-21-20, 05:35 PM
ABQIan

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Bianchi Vigorelli, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Cross Check, EAI Bareknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, thanks for that link-- my neighbor was surprised to see his bike as a topic of discussion elsewhere. Apprised him of the Grandis origin.
Personally I also don't care for the mix or the Resist tires. I did take a quick ride and it felt pretty good. I really appreciate knowing what it is though!
Old 04-22-20, 06:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur, it's a Grandis, with an aftermarket fork. Assuming it's not a repaint with some mods, I'd place it circa 1976-1977. When I was buying my first competition bicycle in the early 1970s, Grandis was on my short list. These are very fine frames but given the eclectic component mix and especially, the fork, I can't see anywhere near $525 in the current market.