Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Viscount Road Bike worth 125$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 04:28 PM
wurligig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Viscount Road Bike worth 125$ ?

Hi everyone, this is on craigslist locally, and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the price. I have a townie built on a mountain bike frame, but am looking to get something a bit sportier for 5-10 minute commutes, and maybe for a little bit of weekend riding

It would be my first road bike, and I'm looking at this one, because I've had a hard time finding bikes big enough for me (6'3), and in my student budget. Measurements seem correct from what he told me, so this would be a ~58.4 cm frame. Also appears to have a steel fork, not the death fork? I will look closer if I decide to see it in person. I'm also 210 lbs, and will not be losing any weight, so that may be a consideration.

He's asking 125$
His Description, "WELL KEPT !!!
VINTAGE !!!
Viscount 12 speed English bike
23" braised frame, 27" rims
Good tires& tubes
New seat cables and housings
Tuned ready 2 ride"

Edit : I have 4 pictures that I can't attach, don't have enough posts, but they're in the attached zip file. If anyone is kind enough to upload for me, I would appreciate it!

Other thoughts, I originally thought about making my townie a bit racier with new tires and lower bars, but it's a pretty heavy mongoose hilltopper frame, and it may be pointless ... ?? I'm a pretty new and casual biker so a lot of this is new to me! I am good with mechanical stuff, so upgrade/repairs don't scare me. That may be a better option though, I'm open to comments etc. Thanks everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
V111.zip (926.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-22-20, 05:04 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
When I hear Viscount I think of the infamous death fork.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-22-20, 05:14 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Small frame for someone 6-3.
Old 04-22-20, 05:21 PM
wurligig

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think the fork was replaced, it doesn't look like the death fork.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Ok, it may be then, I'm new to this. I was basing it on a lot of my height being in the torso, and on a site suggesting 56 - 61 cm for people my height/inseam. My current bike measures the same as this one, but is a mtb frame, and the top tube is pretty close to my crotch when I stand over it.
Old 04-22-20, 05:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

MTB sizing tends to be about 3 inches smaller. I ride an 18 to 19 MTB, I ride a 22 inch road bike.

I can't image any site recommending 56 to 61 for someone 6-3, particularly on a vintage road bike.

I have found this chart useful on vintage road bikes. Note, do not use your PANT inseam, use Bicycle Inseam. Google it if you don't know the difference. Bicycle inseam will be significantly longer.

I have a long torso and short legs. I sacrifice standover clearance in order to get an adequate top tube length.

Vintage Racing Bike Sizing Chart by bill, on Flickr
Old 04-22-20, 05:34 PM
wurligig

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MTB sizing tends to be about 3 inches smaller. I ride an 18 to 19 MTB, I ride a 22 inch road bike.
Thanks! When you say 3 inches smaller, you mean actual measurements, or advertised measurements? I'm basing this on what I measured on my own frame (center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube). Frame sizing is confusing, but based on your chart, the viscount looks too small ... Thanks again!
Old 04-22-20, 06:28 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I once owned a Viscount. Probably the worst vintage bike I have owned. I would not call it classic by any means.
Old 04-22-20, 08:12 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would agree a bit too small and light for 6'3 200+ rider. The OP should look for a 25 inch 62cm frame that is a bit more robust.
Old 04-22-20, 08:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by wurligig
Thanks! When you say 3 inches smaller, you mean actual measurements, or advertised measurements? I'm basing this on what I measured on my own frame (center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube). Frame sizing is confusing, but based on your chart, the viscount looks too small ... Thanks again!
Yes, again, this is in the vintage world. Center to Top seat tube is common, its what I have standardized on. Modern bikes with sloping top tubes, etc., sizing can be different.

As to the original bike, its probably "worth" $125. Wrong size for you, so to me, its worth nothing at that point. 27 inch wheels, many of the Viscounts have unique pressed in bottom brackets. They are a bad choice for someone who just wants a vintage road bike. There are endless choices from the 1980s, made in Japan. They will have top notch quality, some are higher end (some aren't), and value wise they are cheaper than other choices.

For a little more $$, you should be able to find a nicer steel frame vintage bike, with better components, and standard parts.

I've owned two Viscounts, both were bought cheap, and both were bought for their parts. My keepers tend to be either made in Japan, or made in USA.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-23-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 10:41 AM
wurligig

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, again, this is in the vintage world. Center to Top seat tube is common, its what I have standardized on. Modern bikes with sloping top tubes, etc., sizing can be different.

As to the original bike, its probably "worth" $125. Wrong size for you, so to me, its worth nothing at that point. 27 inch wheels, many of the Viscounts have unique pressed in bottom brackets. They are a bad choice for someone who just wants a vintage road bike. There are endless choices from the 1980s, made in Japan. They will have top notch quality, some are higher end (some aren't), and value wise they are cheaper than other choices.

For a little more $$, you should be able to find a nicer steel frame vintage bike, with better components, and standard parts.

I've owned two Viscounts, both were bought cheap, and both were bought for their parts. My keepers tend to be either made in Japan, or made in USA.
Great, thanks for the help, I've passed on the viscount. I have a few months to figure out what I want/need, so I don't need to rush
Old 04-24-20, 11:12 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I have a 25" viscount that was given to me. As I am 6'4" it will fit me. It is actually in pretty good shape. It is a ways back in the rebuild pile. I know I should change out the fork if I am going to ride it, but the welding on the frame is flawless.
Old 04-24-20, 11:15 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by wurligig
Great, thanks for the help, I've passed on the viscount. I have a few months to figure out what I want/need, so I don't need to rush
Taking your time is the right way to go. You need at least a 62cm frame or approximately 25" frame in my opinion. Zukahn1, who is very experienced agreed in a post above.

Remember that the most important thing is how the bike fits you when you are riding it. Stand-over and clearance over the top tube matter, but are not the only consideration. For example, I must be similar to WRK101 in that I tend to fit better on bikes with longer top tubes.
Some people believe you should be able to sit on the saddle and touch your feet, flat, to the ground. If you can do this, the bike is way too small for you. In my case, I can barely tough my toes and that's fine because I never feel the need to do that anyway!

Good luck with your search and feel free to ask for more suggestions.