Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized S-Works Turbo Cotton. True to size?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 10:30 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts

I’m considering these tires for a set of Araya CT-19 rims which have an outside width of 19mm, and an inner width of 14 mm. I understand they’re designed for skinnier tires, and have read that they work well up to 25c.

Getting back to to Turbo Cottons, I’m wondering if anyone here has used them. Would you say they run true to size? Over? Under?

I’m looking at either the 24c or 26c since they’re not offered in 25c, and I certainly want to choose the best best fit.

Thanks!

Last edited by deux jambes; 04-27-20 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 10:51 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Don't know if this will help you or not. I am running the 28 Hell of the North on two wheel sets. One MA40 and the other of unknown Mavic ilk. On both sets, the tires run about 1-2mm undersize.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 04-27-20, 09:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Mine is a tubular, from a couple of years ago when the only size offered (I think) was 24mm. At 110psi it measures 24 +/- 0.5mm.
Old 04-27-20, 11:37 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Don't know if this will help you or not. I am running the 28 Hell of the North on two wheel sets. One MA40 and the other of unknown Mavic ilk. On both sets, the tires run about 1-2mm undersize.
Helpful enough actually, thank you. I’m familiar with the MA40. Ive been using a pair with 32c Gravel Kings. A bit more tire for the rims than ideal, but it works. Anyhow, I can easily compare the MA40 rims to the slightly narrower Arayas side by side. And taking your account of 2 pairs of Turbos being a tad narrower than spec, I believe that I’d do alright choosing the 26c.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Mine is a tubular, from a couple of years ago when the only size offered (I think) was 24mm. At 110psi it measures 24 +/- 0.5mm.
Good to hear! Taking that info along with the previous post, I feel assured that the Specialized is putting tires out that are at least close within the target zone size wise.

I imagine those tubulars ride nice too! I originally planned to try tubulars for this build, but happened upon a decent clincher wheelset for too great a price to pass up. I figure the money saved can go towards a pair of top shelf tires.
Old 04-27-20, 01:28 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You probably already considered.. mounting might be a challenge depending on the profile channel depth of the CT19 rims. I say this because I just installed a new set of cotton turbo 26s on my modern road bike wheels, so, I took an old one and was going to mount it on an old mistrel rim (19mm out/14mm in) and snap a picture , but, I couldn't get it on because there wasn't enough channel for it drop into. That's probably the case with any tire though, but, I thought I'd mention it.

The Spec Turbo Cottons are great tires..luv'em. I'm running the 26s with latex and it's the closest feel to tubular sew-ups as I remember them back BITD.
Old 04-27-20, 05:08 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
I’m considering these tires for a set of Araya CT-19 rims which have an outside width of 19mm, and an inner width of 14 mm. I understand they’re designed for skinnier tires, and have read that they work well up to 25c.

Getting back to to Turbo Cottons, I’m wondering if anyone here has used them. Would you say they run true to size? Over? Under?

I’m looking at either the 24c or 26c since they’re not offered in 25c, and I certainly want to choose the best best fit.
You have a set of CT-19Ns as well? What coincidence! I got a set of wheels with those rims as well. Incredibly light for 32 hole clinchers. Velobase lists the rims at 430g, Araya literature says 400-410g, a Velobase commenter says 390g, and my personal calculations (from the DT Swiss spoke calculator) say 370g. Do you know what yours weigh?

Tires? You ask about tires? Fine, whatever...
The Arayas (IMO) look best with nothing wider than a 23c (24c in this case) on it. Unlike many of the more modern narrow rims, these feature an "aero" profile instead of parallel brake tracks. It's not too angled, but it's there. It would mess up the aesthetic if you put on wide tires. Oh, the tires? I'll get to it. Patience grasshopper, and the pebble will soon be yours.

Ah, Turbo Cottons... Nice ride, if a bit fragile. All the other mechanics at my shop have tried them and said "they float like a tubular but flat like a piece of paper". Might just be them (they didn't like latex tubes, which I personally love). They inflate like Brannigan's Law: fast and hard. True to size after a week or so.