Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disk Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 09:03 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Do bigger brakes give more stopping power? No. Stopping power is determined by the coefficient of friction of the pads (which doesn't take pad area into consideration).

Do bigger brakes give any performance advantage over smaller brakes? Yes, eg, better heat dissipation. (Heat the number 1 enemy of any brake system)
https://www.cquence.net/blog/big-bra...-do-they-work/

Do bigger brakes give more "modulation"? Not necessarily.
"Modulation" depends on 2 things:
1. the mechanical property of the brake system
2. the human hand, which is a trained behavior
You can give the exact brake system to 2 different riders, and each will invariably describe that the brake system feels different to them. This is because of the human factor; some people like it soft and gentle, some like it hard and abrupt, when it comes to braking. It's some they learn and have mentally adapt their fingers to do. It's a muscle memory thing. But in general, the bigger the disc rotor, the better the modulation will feel to the rider. But of course bigger rotors also have their own issues, like warping, and contamination.
Old 05-12-20, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Here is what I meant: as long as it is impossible to pull the lever all the way to the handle bar, I think you can develop the same amount of force on the brakes whether the pads are very close to the rims (so don’t need to pull the lever very far), or the pads are just a bit further away (and hence you have to pull the lever is a bit further).

I’m willing to be corrected if I’m wrong...But even if that’s the case, I don’t think there is any advantage in having so little brake lever travel.
There are two things you aren’t taking into account. First, as the lever moves toward the bar, the angle of the leverage lessens. If you start braking when the lever is at a low angle, the leverage that can be developed is less.

Secondly, a long lever pull means that more cable has to move and the cable stretches more. It’s a smaller effect but it’s still significant enough to make the brakes feel mushy.

And, again, these effects can easily be demonstrated with a hub mounted mechanical disc. Move the pads away from the rotor and the braking ability suffers significantly. And it does so with far less distance from the rotor.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-20, 09:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,966 Times in 4,691 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There are two things you aren’t taking into account. First, as the lever moves toward the bar, the angle of the leverage lessens. If you start braking when the lever is at a low angle, the leverage that can be developed is less.

Secondly, a long lever pull means that more cable has to move and the cable stretches more. It’s a smaller effect but it’s still significant enough to make the brakes feel mushy.

And, again, these effects can easily be demonstrated with a hub mounted mechanical disc. Move the pads away from the rotor and the braking ability suffers significantly. And it does so with far less distance from the rotor.
Thank you for actually addressing my point/explanation. This is what I was expecting when I wrote that "I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong."

Your points make sense, but please tell me what you think of the following - I am genuinely curious:
1) I would think that the 'leverage' effect is pretty slight...In fact, maybe it's just my hands, but I feel like I can generate more force when the lever is drawn a bit closer to the bar.
2) I would also suspect that having even an additional cm or two of cable, which is a small % of the total cable run for even a front brake, would also be a relatively minor effect.

The reason I wonder about these issues: I generally feel like I have better control of my rim brakes, and just as much total braking power, when there is a room for more 'lever pull' before they fully lock down on the rims...In other words, I set them up to draw a bit closer to the bar at full force.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-12-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 09:44 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Can we *PLEASE* go back to drum brakes and be done with these silly modern day miracles? I’m tired of cool new stuff and having choices.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-12-20, 10:09 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by elcruxio

I'll assume you mean a bicycle front wheel cannot skid on clean dry tarmac type surfaces whilst riding forward?
That’s the most common one, yes. However in nonstraight ahead situations, locking the front wheel won’t result in a good outcome. A nonspinning wheel is unstable. That’s why a skidding rear wheel tends to move from side to side during a skid. If you could skid the front wheel, it would do the same and the rider is going to have difficultly staying upright.

This is one strange difference in people. I've been quite impressed lately by the control and modulation I get from my hydraulic disc brakes. Takes a bit of fiddling to get the one finger position setup properly but once that's done I'd wager the four piston hydraulic brakes I have on my fatbike are the most precise brake system I've ever ridden. I can do manuals with them, which hasn't ever been possible on any rim brake system or even mechanic disc brakes.
It is a strange difference indeed. By “do[ing] manuals”, I assume you mean nose wheelies. That’s not a measure of modulation in my opinion. It may be a measure of power but I can lift the wheel of just about any bike I own with just about any brake own.

And then on the other side of the coin are vee brakes which are truly on/off with very little modulation in between. Very powerful yes, but also very dangerous as it's just way too easy to lock up the front wheel.
I don’t know what brakes you have used but I’ve used a lot of different linear brakes. I work on a lot of linear brakes on other people’s bikes. I’ve never experienced one that is as you describe. Nor have I ever had anyone at my bike co-op complain about linear brakes being to grabby.

I have experienced hydraulic brakes that are digital...the opposite of good modulation...with exactly the on/off quality you describe.

While that might be true the end result could end up being pretty darn bad in general. Steel rims are difficult to manufacture to the complex shapes aluminum rims are extruded to and the resulting rims would likely be less stiff than aluminum rims in all directions especially if one tried to get close to aluminum rim weights. Also I'm not sure steel rim walls would manage without flexing in such a system.
I didn’t say it was a good idea. I only said from a braking stand point, you could use a pad that would be more effective than rubber.

As to making the rims, there are all kinds of complex shapes extruded from steel. It would be trivial to make a steel rim in exactly the same shapes are aluminum rims. You mistaken about the properties of steel. Steel isn’t a flexible material. It’s 3 times stiffer than aluminum. Steel rims have been made in the past and a steel rim is the opposite of flexible. A steel rim doesn’t need the same shapes as aluminum because it is inherently stiffer. It wouldn’t need to be double walled to resist bending. A steel rim at the same weight at an aluminum one would be stiffer and stronger.

I’m not advocating steel rims, however. This is just a thought experiment.

No it's not. Rotor truing is far easier and far less stressful than truing a properly tensioned and properly sealed wheel (sealed as in first lubricated and then thread locked with either a certain type of oil or with actual thread locker). Truing a wobble wheel is even more difficult if it hasn't been lubricated in the first place. Just had the pleasure of truing the machine built wheels of my new bike and it was horrible I tell you.
I’ve been building wheels for 30 years. I’ve never heard a spoke and nipple being referred to as “sealed”. You have the process reversed. A thread preparation is applied to the spoke before it is threaded into the nipple. The spoke/nipple junction is then lubricated with an oil of some kind. The thread prep is used to keep the nipple from vibrating loose by putting material in the threads but it doesn’t “lock” the threads. The spoke/nipple junction is never “sealed”. In fact, during truing, it’s advantageous to add some oil to the spoke/nipple junction to make it easier to move the nipple on the spoke.

As to truing a wheel, all that is usually needed is a simple turn of a spoke or two to bring the rim into alignment. There are 22 threads per cm on a spoke. It’s very precise because you have a gauge telling you how much to bend the rim. I teach people how to do it all the time and it’s easy for them to grasp the fundamentals and apply them.

Contrast that with a rotor alignment. The only way to true a rotor is to bend it. It’s only a guess as to how much the rotor needs to be bent. There’s no real way to tell if the rotor has been bent enough or too far. There no small adjustment ability like there is on a spoke. I’d much rather make adjustments to something by using threads than by simple bending it.

Probably depends on the brake. With modern calipers you need to set them up with a significant gap or the brake won't work as intended. With mini vees and road levers you need a tiny gap and you'll be adjusting it constantly. With cantilevers again you need a tiny gap to get any kind of power out and even then it's pretty abysmal what you can get. With actual vee brakes and mountain levers a decent gap is again ok. Just before midway is the best place for the brake to actually bite I find.
You are saying to opposite things. Do you need a significant gap or a tiny gap? You’ve said both. People set up rim brakes with a significant gap but there is nothing that says there has to be a significant gap. It doesn’t improve the performance of the brake. Even if there is a smaller gap, there is nothing that dictates constant adjustment.

My BB7's bite at half pull and I get pretty nice performance from them. I've tried the instant bite too and didn't care for it as it A) makes the bike noisy (now I did say truing rotors is easier than truing wheels but I don't actually bother truing rotors all that often) and B) means I need to then adjust the lever travel as well and that's a hassle. I mean I could do it, but I'm not really sure where the adjuster screw is in my brifters if they even have one... In terms of when a mechanical disc brake bites there's no reason why you'd get any less power with a later bite point if the brake is otherwise setup properly. The most important factor of course is that with a single moving pad system the immobile pad is as close to the rotor as possible. With dual moving pads.. I dunno, I had such a bad time with the Spyre that I've temporarily given up with that.
I think most levers these days even compensate for travel so that's not a reason either.
You keep saying things that make no sense. There is no lever that compensates for caliper travel that I know of. Brake levers are simple mechanisms. The lever is a body that has a pivot point on it and a lever that rotates around the pivot. What would compensate in that system from caliper travel.

Disc calipers and rim calipers work on exactly the same principle and very, very similar mechanisms. Something moves the pads into the rotating metal disc. Whether that is an arm or a piston doesn’t really matter all that much.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-20, 10:23 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If rim brakes COULD be set up with a higher leverage ratio, they would be. Why do you think that they are NOT set up higher ratio than they are?

The reason is that higher leverage would reduce the pad travel too much. THis is why canti levers do not work well with v-brakes: too much leverage results in not enough pad travel.

This is exactly the reason that companies messed around with "servo" levers like the old XT v-brake levers. Low leverage in the beginning of the lever pull to close the distance to the rim, then significantly higher leverage at the end where you want it. Some of the Shimano hydro disc setups do the same. EDIT: I see below you point out that even regular levers increase leverage throughout the stroke. This is true, and I would ask: why did they design them that way? But the levers I am talking about do it much more so.

How close you personally set your pads is not the point. The point is that disc and rim brakes are design with vastly different amount of pad travel needed.
Your argument falls apart when you consider the types of levers used. You can’t use a long pull lever on a short pull brake because of the cable pull ratios. However, we don’t have different levers for hub mounted disc brakes...at least for mechanicals. Mountain bike disc brakes use the same levers as linear brakes and road bike discs use the same levers as short pull side pull calipers and cantilevers. No adjustment needs to be made for any differences in leverage...only cable pull.

Old 05-12-20, 10:56 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Your argument falls apart when you consider the types of levers used. You can’t use a long pull lever on a short pull brake because of the cable pull ratios.
Actually, I was talking about the opposite: I was pointing out why you don't use a short pull lever (canti lever) on a long pull caliper (v-brakes). And the reason for that is different.

The reason for not using a long pull lever on short pull brakes (what you mention) is there is not enough mech advantage, and you have to pull much harder to generate the same force on the pads.

The reason for not using short pull levers on long pull brakes (what I was talking about) is that you don't move the pads far enough. You either need a long lever through, or you need to set up the pads too close to the rim and will be dealing with rubbing often.

"Long pull" and "short pull" are just different ways of describing the mech advantage of the brake lever: long pull = low leverage/mech advantage, short pull = high leverage/mech advantage.

So, back to my point: I am pointing out that there is a practical limit in how much leverage/mechanical advantage you can design into rim brakes. And that is the amount of distance the pad needs to travel. To demonstrate that point, I used the example of what happens when you try to increase the mechanical advantage of rim brakes (using a short pull lever on long pull brakes). As you probably well know, it does not work well.

However, we don’t have different levers for hub mounted disc brakes...at least for mechanicals. Mountain bike disc brakes use the same levers as linear brakes and road bike discs use the same levers as short pull side pull calipers and cantilevers. No adjustment needs to be made for any differences in leverage...only cable pull.
True, but not relevant to the point I was making.

If you want to continue this., please go back to my post #26 and explain what exactly I am wrong about. I am basically stating three things:

Point 1 states that the leverage between the lever and pads is different for disc vs rim.
Point 2 explain why is is needed.
Point 3 explains why it is possible

Which one do you disagree with.... or is there some other conclusion you think I am implying?

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-12-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
There is nothing that limits a rim brake from being set up close to the rim. Again, if the rim wobbles, that’s something that can, and should, be fixed. I’ve run my brakes so that the wheel is locked at about half travel of the lever which is similar to how hub mounted discs have to be set up. I currently have bikes with hub mounted discs, dual pivot rim brakes, mixed front disc/rear linear and cantilevers...Oh! The humanity! The cantilevers are actually on the bike that requires the most braking power...a loaded touring bike. I’ve even ridden that one down New Found Gap in North Carolina in a driving rain at around 50mph. I had no problem slowing nor stopping.
Cantis - my Mooney went down Alba Road above Santa Cruz its first winter in a driving Pacific Storm. Sheets of water running across the road. (Alba Road is a paved 1/2 Mt Washington in NH. Same grade. Similar corners. No ability to build speed and use wind resistance for braking because you won't make the next corner, especially in the wet.) Mooney came with the old Mafacs (well 1979 new, but unchanged since the '50s) and standard Mafac pads. What was notable about the braking was that I had all the power I could use with that wet road using just one finger per brake the first half, then two for the rest as the cold and wet took its toll. Never remotely scary. Thought at the bottom - "good brakes! Keepers!

10 years later I swapped out those cantilevers for the Shimanos that came on a used Miyata 610. Nicer to work on, Same geometry, same stopping power. They are still on the Mooney and I have no desire to change them. (I am getting older and have run into tired hands, even needing a stop for them on miles of gravel descent, but the stop was needed anyway to refocus or I was going to crash again. Brakes had zero to do with the first - hard - crash. Picking a poor line and ending up in a two foot deep rut can lead to issues.)

One thing I have done with most of my brakes (all but the old centerpulls and sidepulls) is to go with V-brake levers - specifically to reduce the power so when I do a mountain descent and come up fast on a turn I see I won't make, I can shut down my speed fast and not lockup or have anything exciting happen. First time was sorta by accident. I was setting up my new, custom mountain road fix gear and picked up some used levers with huge hoods that my hands would love. Quickly noticed the very fast but low powered braking and also that my hands were truly happy uphill so I left them on. Rode the setup to McKenzie Pass, then back down to Sisters, OR. Came to an unexpected sharp turn at real speed and knew right away my pedals weren't making it! Fully adrenalized brake grab! And nothing happened except I made the corner at a leisurely 20 mph. Sold!

The centerpull bikes are on the bikes that get regular rain rides. Mafacs and road levers have a lot of stopping power to clean wet rims, so they stay. (Those bikes also see winter, city and low light use and might get meddled with when locked up. Keeping something as important as braking as simply, reliable and easy to fix as old school brakes makes for piece of mind. (And there's little a 5 year old can do to them, no fun hoses to pull. Not much I have to remember - like "don't squeeze that brake - no wheel!")

Yes, the next new (non-custom) bike I buy will be disc. But that may not happen in this lifetime. We'll see.

Ben
Old 05-12-20, 11:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Bah! My internet provider, CenturyLink, at its best.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-12-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-12-20, 11:38 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I believe most better levers compensate for that, ie. they compensate for the lever movement so that no matter the lever position you get the same leverage.

That doesn't sound entirely correct. The cable travel difference in miniscule when comparing to the complete length of cable in use. Also the contributing factor for cable stretch is not the travel distance but rather the force the cable is pulled with. Other compounding factors are housing length and thus also housing compression.

If anything, road type brake systems should cause a mushy brake feel as they pull less cable but with greater force than mountain brake systems. But that doesn't seem to happen as road brakes are, I find just as crisp as mountain systems.

PAD, not PADS. The unmoving pad must always stay in place. If you move that then of course braking performance suffers as the rotor has to needlessly flex and also loses pad contact area as a result. But moving the moving pad out doesn't cause issues nor does it degrade braking performance as long as the lever doesn't pull into the bar.

That’s the most common one, yes. However in nonstraight ahead situations, locking the front wheel won’t result in a good outcome. A nonspinning wheel is unstable. That’s why a skidding rear wheel tends to move from side to side during a skid. If you could skid the front wheel, it would do the same and the rider is going to have difficultly staying upright.
Very true. Hence I prefer braking systems which allow me to toe the line of front tire skidding. I've only fallen once due to a front tire skid and that was due to carelessness on a wet mossy surface.

It is a strange difference indeed. By “do[ing] manuals”, I assume you mean nose wheelies. That’s not a measure of modulation in my opinion. It may be a measure of power but I can lift the wheel of just about any bike I own with just about any brake own.
Manual in my understanding is as you say a nose wheelie which is then sustained for a period. It's the sustaining the manual which requires precise brake modulation.

I don’t know what brakes you have used but I’ve used a lot of different linear brakes. I work on a lot of linear brakes on other people’s bikes. I’ve never experienced one that is as you describe. Nor have I ever had anyone at my bike co-op complain about linear brakes being to grabby.
All I know is that I did not like them when I used them in my LHT. Also Shimano used to make these elastomer brake modulators which would effectively work as extra compressible break housing. I've only ever seen those used with full sized vee brakes. Also there's this weird 'wisdom' older folks have according to which one should never brake with the front brake. This 'wisdom' to my knowledge comes from the advent of vee brakes when people would frequently endo with front braking. I have spent some considerable effort in teaching my wife away from that weird belief and nowadays her front pads have finally started wearing faster than her rear pads.

I have experienced hydraulic brakes that are digital...the opposite of good modulation...with exactly the on/off quality you describe.
I am genuinely interested in the models you've tried which were digital. Though I'll admit I do kinda see a pattern here. You don't see a problem with cantilevers which to me require some considerable squeezing to get any power out of. If you move from that to hydraulic brakes I can see how they might seem digital. But the hydro brakes I use are not even one finger brakes, they're fingertip brakes as in I get all the power I could ever need with very little effort and it's the most accurate braking I can imagine.

As to making the rims, there are all kinds of complex shapes extruded from steel. It would be trivial to make a steel rim in exactly the same shapes are aluminum rims. You mistaken about the properties of steel. Steel isn’t a flexible material. It’s 3 times stiffer than aluminum. Steel rims have been made in the past and a steel rim is the opposite of flexible. A steel rim doesn’t need the same shapes as aluminum because it is inherently stiffer. It wouldn’t need to be double walled to resist bending. A steel rim at the same weight at an aluminum one would be stiffer and stronger.
Well, no. Aluminum is three times lighter but what you fail to account for is stiffness via thickness. An aluminum part has to only be 44 % thicker than the steel part to be as stiff. Hence aluminum frames tend to be stiffer than steel frames but that's a different discussion.

I’ve been building wheels for 30 years. I’ve never heard a spoke and nipple being referred to as “sealed”. You have the process reversed. A thread preparation is applied to the spoke before it is threaded into the nipple. The spoke/nipple junction is then lubricated with an oil of some kind. The thread prep is used to keep the nipple from vibrating loose by putting material in the threads but it doesn’t “lock” the threads. The spoke/nipple junction is never “sealed”. In fact, during truing, it’s advantageous to add some oil to the spoke/nipple junction to make it easier to move the nipple on the spoke.
It's my term that I use. The way I build wheels is set and forget. I use boiled linseed oil and while its still liquid and in lubricating form I build the wheel, stress relieve it, retrue it and usually never need to touch it again. The sealing means that when the linseed oul hardens it lightly locks the nipple threads.

As to truing a wheel, all that is usually needed is a simple turn of a spoke or two to bring the rim into alignment. There are 22 threads per cm on a spoke. It’s very precise because you have a gauge telling you how much to bend the rim. I teach people how to do it all the time and it’s easy for them to grasp the fundamentals and apply them.

Contrast that with a rotor alignment. The only way to true a rotor is to bend it. It’s only a guess as to how much the rotor needs to be bent. There’s no real way to tell if the rotor has been bent enough or too far. There no small adjustment ability like there is on a spoke. I’d much rather make adjustments to something by using threads than by simple bending it.
The way I see it, just tensioning the spokes so that the rim is pulled is bodging it. To propely true a wheel is to tune its tension as well. This in turn makes truing a bit of a hassle as it typically requires the adjustment of multiple spokes on both sides of the wheel. This is of course with wheels which haven't been built by me.

As to rotor truing it's literally a few quick adjustments and off you go. Of course a rotor only needs to be true enough and that level of trueness is quite easy to achieve.

You are saying to opposite things. Do you need a significant gap or a tiny gap? You’ve said both. People set up rim brakes with a significant gap but there is nothing that says there has to be a significant gap. It doesn’t improve the performance of the brake. Even if there is a smaller gap, there is nothing that dictates constant adjustment.
I'll assume you just read my post too quickly and missed the point I was making. Different rim brake systems require different gaps. Dual pull calipers can be fully open without pretensioning and adding tension to the brake doesn't in my experience add much to the performance. Fully open the gap is quite significant. Cantilevers always require a bit of pretensioning of the brake cable and also require the pads to be close to the rim. You get the point. Different brakes, different requirements.

You keep saying things that make no sense. There is no lever that compensates for caliper travel that I know of. Brake levers are simple mechanisms. The lever is a body that has a pivot point on it and a lever that rotates around the pivot. What would compensate in that system from caliper travel.
Did I write that the lever compensates for caliper travel? Sorry, must have typoed . What I meant was what I wrote above, ie. the lever compensates for the lever. In effect it means that no matter what the lever position, it'll always pull the same amount of cable This is achieved with the pivoting cable holder and some smart lever design. So in effect it does not matter at which position of lever travel the brake bites as the cable pull is linear with the lever movement range.
Old 05-12-20, 12:33 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I have read this entire thread and am now exhausted and mildly nauseaus.

Everybody shut up and go home.
Old 05-12-20, 12:46 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
Everybody shut up and go home.
I think the problem is that so many of us ARE home. Stuck here and going a little crazy.
Old 05-12-20, 01:18 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The real problem is I can't spell 'nauseous'.
Old 05-12-20, 07:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,966 Times in 4,691 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think the problem is that so many of us ARE home. Stuck here and going a little crazy.
Get out and ride! It's at least safe, in most areas. I've been doing about 200-250 miles per week since the pandemic started.
Old 05-12-20, 08:01 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
i was hoping for some thoughts on my specific disc brake issues from folks who have ridden both. Before this turned into what it did.

Originally Posted by matt92037
I saw this thread and wanted to weigh in, not with opinion, but more with my experience and curiosity. I am 200-205lbs been MTB'ing for 30+ years and riding discs for about 18 years. I have been roadbiking for only 4 years however and have never tried a bike with rim brakes (or mechancial shifting for that matter). My road bike has Shimano 9170 brakes and 160mm rotors front and rear.

My rides are typically straight up for 3 miles, then down for 3 miles, two to three times per ride. The decesnts hit grades of 14-17% frequently, lots of speeds in the low 40's. Some of the decents are smooth, no tight turns, etc so you can just open it up the entire way and brake hard at the bottom. Some decents find you in situations where you haul major ass, need to brake hard on a 15% grade (aweful concrete or tight turns in a narrow bike lane), then open it up, then need to dump speed quickly again, over and over. Before I can get to the bottom of those decents my front and rear rotors are nuclear reactor meltdown hot. I don't drag my brakes, I alternate front to back to give the opposing brake a break. There are many times I wish I had my XTR 4-pots and 200mm rotors on my road bike. Which leads me to the curiousity part:

How would a high end rim brake set-up work in this situation? For me I think I found the limits of a 200+ pound rider on tiny brake pads and tiny rotors. Going slower down the hills in question doesn't work to well either because when you are on grades that steep, to go slow you will be dragging you brakes. To reiterate i dont like using brakes going downhill but in some situations i have to, a lot, on really steep hill, for miles.

What do you guys think? My last rim brake setup on my MTB were ceramic coated Bontrager rims and they did really well for what they were.
Old 05-12-20, 08:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Get out and ride! It's at least safe, in most areas. I've been doing about 200-250 miles per week since the pandemic started.
must have permissible weather to enable such isolated activity.

Just put away the snow shovels & preparing for the windy rainy 60s.
Old 05-13-20, 01:23 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Looking outside it's currently 4 degrees celsius (39 degrees fahrenheit) and raining. I think I'll pass on the cycling today. On the weekend we had 10m/s winds which also kinda takes the fun out of cycling.
Old 05-13-20, 12:25 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Yeah but the disk would be big and heavy.....

Google Buell motorcycle if you want to see what that looks like
I have seen a Swiss Army bicycle with hydraulic calipers on the rims and no disc. Than again, the bike with racks and storage compartments was over 60 pounds, and the calipers were fairly large and complex..
Old 05-13-20, 12:51 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
The contact point on rim brakes is also small
Old 05-13-20, 01:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
The real problem is I can't spell 'nauseous'.
I was going to prod you about using "nauseous" instead of the correct "nauseated." Well, joke is on me because sometime in the nearly 50 years since I was in school the distinction has been lost! https://www.grammarly.com/blog/nauseated-vs-nauseous/