Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 07:47 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Wheel question

I have been riding my Warbird for the past month or so and noticed that the front wheel is starting to make a squeaking noise. The wheel looks true side to side in a truing stand, but i'm wondering if it could be a spoke tension issue? How do you fix this?

Dave
Old 06-27-20, 10:41 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
First thing, toss a different wheel on there and see if the noise is still present, if it isn't then you have to look at the bike and find where the noise is traveling from otherwise..
If it looks true its not likely a spoke, give pairs of spokes a light squeeze, if they feel uniform its probably not them. Pull the wheel off, remove the skewer(if it was real easy to flip open its a possible source) and spin the axle and see how it feels; if it has cartridge bearings I would first suspect one of these, I'd also remove the axle and feel the bearings if possible. If the cartridges feel good or its loose ball and they feel lubricated, spoke tension is consistent and the skewer wasn't loose I've got no clue.
Old 06-28-20, 05:59 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
First thing, toss a different wheel on there and see if the noise is still present, if it isn't then you have to look at the bike and find where the noise is traveling from otherwise..
If it looks true its not likely a spoke, give pairs of spokes a light squeeze, if they feel uniform its probably not them. Pull the wheel off, remove the skewer(if it was real easy to flip open its a possible source) and spin the axle and see how it feels; if it has cartridge bearings I would first suspect one of these, I'd also remove the axle and feel the bearings if possible. If the cartridges feel good or its loose ball and they feel lubricated, spoke tension is consistent and the skewer wasn't loose I've got no clue.
The wheel in question is thru-axle. Unfortunately I only have one thru axle wheel to try. Will have to take it off and spin it on the thru axle to see what I can find out.

Dave
Old 06-28-20, 06:14 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Brake rotor rubbing? The front rotor on my bike will scrape the pads when I stand and throw the bike from side to side while pedaling. The fork flexes just enough to allow the rotor to hit the pad on one side. It's annoying, but there is not much that can be done about it.
Old 06-28-20, 06:19 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Is the noise at one part of wheel rotation or all the way around. I have a bike that the Easton EA70 SL Disc wheels made a noise at one spot right from new. Initially thought it was a disc rubbing but it turned out it was every time the rim joint was at the bottom. Front was worse than the back. The shop tried to fix it but ended up getting me new wheels on warranty. The new wheels are the same ones but don't have the noise. I was told that some Race Face Wheels have the same issue.
Old 06-28-20, 08:57 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by dsaul
Brake rotor rubbing? The front rotor on my bike will scrape the pads when I stand and throw the bike from side to side while pedaling. The fork flexes just enough to allow the rotor to hit the pad on one side. It's annoying, but there is not much that can be done about it.
Rode 36 miles tonight, and the sound is completely gone. Best I can figure is that maybe the brake pad was rubbing the rotor and riding around wore the pad down a little bit.

Dave