Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 10:29 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I have a crazy expensive (at least for me) commuter on order. I'm sure I'll love it. And you know I'll post photos of it here. But do I NEED it... I guess I've proved I don't. But I don't have a ski boat or a mountain cabin and my car is paid for. I don't gamble. I have zero in the fashion department. I haven't purchased a guitar in 30 years. So what the heck, I'm worth it, right? Please say yes. Not that your disapproval would stop me.
lol.

Consider this. Maybe part of the joy and pleasure in a bike like that IS the fact that buying one is a little ... I dunno ... naughty.

My wife recently bought a nice little sports car. She'd always wanted one. It wasn't particularly expensive ... I think it's actually about the same as the average car purchase. But it's about as unpractical as it gets. Low ground clearance, summer tires, only two seats and just enough space for two small overnight bags.

But she likes it ... no ... loves it, largely because it's impractical.

What I think of it? She's happy ... that makes it worth every penny.

Old 01-25-16, 10:36 AM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Go buy a Huffy from Walmart.
Was that directed at me?

I have never bought a Huffy before, why should I start now?

Please Discuss...
Old 01-25-16, 10:44 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichVonCartman
Was that directed at me?

I have never bought a Huffy before, why should I start now?

Please Discuss...
Of course, I did quote you.

My point is this, if you have never enjoyed doing an upgrade or gazing at componentry with a wishful eye, why not just buy a Huffy. Who doesnt want an occasional purchase to make the ride better. Seriously, it is what cyclists do. Your reply communicated we all sounded like women.
Old 01-25-16, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Reliable function wins .. The ones getting most use Have an IGH (Rohloff)

or the Mountain drive Crank + 3 speed (more internal Gears)

and Have Mudguards ..

I built Nice Bikes For Ex GF's .. But took my bicycle tours alone.

I'm still using components I bought in 1975.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-25-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 11:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by fietsbob
But took my bicycle tours alone.
I have been dreaming about this a lot, lately.
Old 01-25-16, 12:14 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, I did quote you.

My point is this, if you have never enjoyed doing an upgrade or gazing at componentry with a wishful eye, why not just buy a Huffy. Who doesnt want an occasional purchase to make the ride better. Seriously, it is what cyclists do. Your reply communicated we all sounded like women.

From your other posts, I could tell we were on the same page with this topic. That is why it confused me when I "thought" you recommended me to buy a Huffy.

Life is too short to NOT too have hobbies, and life is also too short stressing over your hobbies.

When it comes to Hobbies, Erich philosophy is..
"If you want it and have the money, then buy it! Having the desire and the resources is all the reasons you need to buy something"
Old 01-25-16, 01:28 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by ErichVonCartman
From your other posts, I could tell we were on the same page with this topic. That is why it confused me when I "thought" you recommended me to buy a Huffy.

Life is too short to NOT too have hobbies, and life is also too short stressing over your hobbies.

When it comes to Hobbies, Erich philosophy is..
"If you want it and have the money, then buy it! Having the desire and the resources is all the reasons you need to buy something"
We have a lot in common.

My personal philosophy has been "heavy bikes are uninteresting". But then, by today's standards my 19lb Cannondale is a boat anchor. Time to upgrade.....
Old 01-25-16, 05:39 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Many years ago I read, "When a wealthy man has a mi-life crisis he buys an Italian sports car. When a bicyclist has a mid-life crisis he buys an Italian bicycle."

Expensive can be subjective too. A good example is the used Dura Ace AX groupset my sister got me for Christmas 2015. That groupset cost more than many newer, more efficient (?) groupsets would have BUT, but she go the AX stuff for me because she knew that I liked the aesthetics of it and would like to get it. Thus, a les expensive thing was actually an expensive backgrade.

Beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder and many are willing to spend $ on what they think it beautiful.

Cheers
Old 01-25-16, 06:42 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Many years ago I read, "When a wealthy man has a mi-life crisis he buys an Italian sports car. When a bicyclist has a mid-life crisis he buys an Italian bicycle."

Expensive can be subjective too. A good example is the used Dura Ace AX groupset my sister got me for Christmas 2015. That groupset cost more than many newer, more efficient (?) groupsets would have BUT, but she go the AX stuff for me because she knew that I liked the aesthetics of it and would like to get it. Thus, a les expensive thing was actually an expensive backgrade.

Beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder and many are willing to spend $ on what they think it beautiful.

Cheers

Don't forget, Exclusivity is also more Beautiful (just my personal opinion of course, so please none of you cool kids bag on Erich for his personal opinion).

To me Dura Ace 9000 are some of the Best Looking Components ever on a Road Bicycle. I think that is because I do not see a lot of Dura Ace 9000 equipped bikes... I am sure if every Schmuck had them, then they would NOT be as beautiful
Old 01-26-16, 11:48 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We have a lot in common.

My personal philosophy has been "heavy bikes are uninteresting". But then, by today's standards my 19lb Cannondale is a boat anchor. Time to upgrade.....
I'll agree with both of you. Anytime is a good time to upgrade! My wife asked if I decided to race duathlons so I could get a tri bike.
Old 01-26-16, 12:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I am a huge fan of good bikes. Ie bikes that fit really well, work really well and have a a sweet ride. I have achieved that in full with:

My racing bike, a $450 (shop employee discount) Fuji Professional

My Peter Mooney, custom with parts on hand and picked up at employee discount (and early in Peter mOoney's career so I paid far too little for it!)

The Japanese Schwinn sport bike I set up as a city/rain;winter fix gear (the frame was bent and cost me near nothing)

Jessica, aka Team Dumpster, the ~'89 sport Peugeot frame I picked up for $20, repaired, outfitted for $85 and parts on hand. Such a good ride I doubled the cash layout with a good seat. When I had my first Ticycles bike painted, I threw this in with it, again doubling its cash layout.

The Trek 420 the Schwinn evolved to 30 years later

Both of my custom TiCycles bikes, both full custom (and different) frames; not cheap

An early '70s Raleigh Carlton Competition frame I picked up for $80 and paid TiCycles 10X that to refurbish

As you can see, my money expenditures have been all over the place. I have never been shy about using used parts and all of my customs have seen them, often in key places. I buy new: rims, spokes, rubber, seats, about half of my stems and bars. The rest - why?

Ben
Old 01-26-16, 12:25 PM
OldsCOOL

I dont upgrade bikes as much as upgrading the fleet. Last summer it was the 77 Colnago and this year a '76 The Finest build. Of course, there are the little upgrades when needed, tires being the biggie. I cant buy Conti's anymore than ride a Varsity.
Old 01-26-16, 08:35 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As long as you can afford the N+1, or what ever upgrade you choose, its good for me. You worked for your money, and its yours to spend as you see fit (spousal approval needed, or course, unless you live on the ragged edge.) Some folks like to restore the original parts, or keep things as stock as possible. Others like to upgrade when it strikes them, or they see something that catches their fancy. And, the frequent N+1 guys and gals keep the LBS, or private sellers, in the black. Its the people that choose to criticize someone for riding what they feel is wasteful, or unnecessary, that grind my gears. Ride 'em if you got 'em.

Bill

And, yes I just did a slightly expensive upgrade, no excuses about that, either.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-27-16 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-27-16, 08:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Well, I've had titanium, aluminum, and steel bikes but never a full carbon fiber framed bike. Maybe it's time to go shopping.
Old 01-27-16, 09:07 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Well, I've had titanium, aluminum, and steel bikes but never a full carbon fiber framed bike. Maybe it's time to go shopping.
Do it!
Old 01-27-16, 09:38 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse/reason/rationalization for N+1 to me.
Old 01-27-16, 09:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you ride a 58cm, I have one for sale.
Old 01-28-16, 06:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Sounds like a good excuse/reason/rationalization for N+1 to me.
As if we ever need any of the above to allow us the joy and pleasure of the wonder of a glorious N+1 Largely, we have no excuse for what we do, are without reason about how we do this, and it is beyond human rational thought to rationalize how, what, and why, we do these things on 2 wheels. Phew.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-28-16, 08:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
If you ride a 58cm, I have one for sale.
Naw, all of my bikes are 62, 63, or 64. I like the bars 1" below the saddle, so I need an uncut steer tube.

I'm going to look into selling my Seven once I get the wheel problems sorted out. Or maybe I'll just buy wheels, again.

A friend has a brand new Ridley Noah frameset for sale but it's a large and I don't want to run 70 or 80 mm of spacers.
Old 01-28-16, 02:15 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I'm heading to Sacramento for NAHBS on Feb 26-28 looking for a modern steel frame. The Lolo from Breadwinner Cycles is who I'll probably go with (Lolo ? Breadwinner Cycles).
Gruppo will be Campy Chorus with an Enve cockpit and a PowerTap wheelset.
I already have Ti (Moots Compact), custom carbon (Alchemy Xanthus), aluminum (Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage and KHS Solo One) and an old steel Albert Eisentraut.
This will complete my collection for now .
Old 01-30-16, 02:33 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm fine with whatever amount someone spends on a bike. If you can justify spending a lot, and you want to spend a lot... do it. I have about $5000 invested in my commuter bike. I initially spent around $1500 on the bike, but I've made a lot of upgrades and purchased many accessories. I justify it - I commute by bicycle nearly everyday... and this bike makes about 75 percent of those commutes.

I feel a little guilty about having a $3000 road bike. It doesn't get much use during the winter due to the wet weather. However, it's a joy to ride in great weather and even takes over commuting duty mid-june through mid-september. I could add fenders to the bike and it would get more use in the winter. I'd rather get bike N+1 that would be a road bike with full fenders that are permanent... someday I'll justify that purchase.
Old 01-30-16, 03:15 AM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've occasionally told people about some "great deal" I was getting on a new bike, and they've always been shocked at the prices. They can comprehend spending $80 or MAYBE $200. MAYBE.

But $800 or $900? Absolutely not. No way. Let's not even discuss $2500 or $8000 bikes. Let's face it, the typical bikeforums member is way out of touch with the value of a bike.

An $8K bike isn't any faster than an $800 bike. It's the engine.
Old 01-30-16, 11:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by vanguardx3
Let's face it, the typical bikeforums member is way out of touch with the value of a bike. An $8K bike isn't NECESSARILY MUCH faster than an $800 bike. It's the engine.
There = fixed the above for you.

Let's face it, the typical person who thinks $300 is too much to spend on a bicycle has no idea how much fun it can be to throw a leg over a $900 QUALITY bicycle and ride 100 km. The same person might stand in line in the snow for the chance to buy the latest Air Jordan sneekers at $139 a pop. Where's the value in 2 years? And who is out of touch?
Old 07-07-20, 03:23 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
...But, I wanted a bike I truly loved...
​​​​​That says it all... If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to get it... That defines us...

(Above) My 1970 Peugeot PX-10E ... Now a powder coated one speed...
I bought it used in 1971 got $125... I was 15, made $2.10 an hour... Rode it everywhere...
Finally got a car, and still rode it everywhere...
One of the constants in my life...

Wheels - Mavic & Phil... Hand built in '77... Always smooth and true... Schwalbe rubber...
Crank - Campy and Phil...
Brakes - Mavic Cantilever - ??? Levers
Headset - Campy Record
Stem and Bars - No name spare parts...
Seat - Brooks Professional
Pedals - Changes from flat to clipless... Mostly flat...

(Above) My newest... 2020 Zizzo Liberte... Significantly upgraded with a recycled drivetrain and a mix of new and old parts...
About $800 into it... Most of that in the wheels...

Both the Peugeot and the Zizzo give me the high quality rides I am accustomed to...
I still feel like that 15 year old with the wind in my hair every time I go out and ride those things...
That's what is priceless...

Last edited by P.L.Jensen; 07-07-20 at 03:32 AM.
Likes For P.L.Jensen:
Old 07-07-20, 05:38 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Cool bikes, welcome back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.