Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Portland Cross Crusade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 09:38 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Portland Cross Crusade

Just have to gloat about the historical and unparalleled sweetness of the Cross Crusade series in Portland. At Alpenrose we had the largest participatory cyclocross race in world history with over 1,000 racers at one race. The scene here you got to see to believe, there's nothing like it. We've got unicyclists racing in faux fur, C level racers in nothing but speedos, a dedicated Clydesdale category, and some of the best pro racers in the country all mixing together. The thrones of fans clanging their cowbells surely lift our dilapidated spirits as we wind world-class courses. Not to mention Sascha White himself with a booth showcasing his awe-inspiring Vanilla Speedvagen cross bikes, pre-ride coffee offered by Chris King and some of the best post-ride microbrews offered as prizes at each race. Oh yeah, and a series sponsored, season long treasure hunt with a grand prize of a trip to Torrino, Italy for the World Championships.

Just sayin!

Last edited by gonesh9; 10-21-07 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 09:56 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't beleive I got into cross the fall that I move away from Portland for school. Completely bass ackwards as usual

And races will be over by the time I come back for winter break.

The nice thing about Missoula is that none of the races have C categories so it's a big motivator to get in shape.
Old 10-22-07, 08:34 AM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, I'm signed up for the Portland GP on 12/1 and 12/2. I hope you people stay just as rowdy for that weekend.
Old 10-22-07, 05:55 PM
xccx
+++++++++++++++

Bikes: 2 Felt F1X's, Surly Steamroller Fixed / Free, 2007 IF Crown Jewel, 2007 IF Planet X Singlespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ill be in PDX for the ss worlds!
Old 10-22-07, 06:23 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
I can't beleive I got into cross the fall that I move away from Portland for school. Completely bass ackwards as usual

And races will be over by the time I come back for winter break.

The nice thing about Missoula is that none of the races have C categories so it's a big motivator to get in shape.
I guess I raced with you on Saturday night. Did you race 4/5?
Old 10-22-07, 07:16 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
I guess I raced with you on Saturday night. Did you race 4/5?
No, I was just a spectator saturday.

I was kicking myself the whole time too. That course looked really fun, but there is always next year, I suppose. I would have raced 4/5 if I had done it though. how was that run-up after the sand? it seemed like people were really struggling with it!

I did the first of the Wednesday night series races here in Missoula, but work has intefered with all the others. I'll be at the one this week though, hell or high water.
Old 10-22-07, 10:02 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
No, I was just a spectator saturday.

I was kicking myself the whole time too. That course looked really fun, but there is always next year, I suppose. I would have raced 4/5 if I had done it though. how was that run-up after the sand? it seemed like people were really struggling with it!

I did the first of the Wednesday night series races here in Missoula, but work has intefered with all the others. I'll be at the one this week though, hell or high water.
sorry for the thread hyjack...

The run-up on Saturday was okay. The killer was the sand trap before the run up. I endo'd into the sand on the first lap, and several other times I stalled out in the sand before the run up.

And I'll be in Whitefish and Kalispel this weekend as well, cya there.
Old 10-23-07, 07:51 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys and gals in PDX know how to do it! I'm trying to get up for the weekend on 12/1 as well. CX bliss!
Old 10-23-07, 09:24 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it is ironic that a thread about the biggest cross races in history gets hijaked with a conversation about races in an area with much lower participation

Maybe I can skip finals week and come back early for some races...yes, that sounds good. Priorities, you know.
Old 10-23-07, 02:07 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
Cool, I'm signed up for the Portland GP on 12/1 and 12/2. I hope you people stay just as rowdy for that weekend.
I'm sure it will be good fun. The Cross Crusade people do help out with the event, so even though it's a GP race it will still have a bunch of the raw culture that is so great here.
Old 10-24-07, 11:29 PM
Dabbo
Principiante

Bikes: Masi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ciao Gonesh, you summed it well, by the way good job at RHS, great racing. Your competition as said is pretty strong and you looked great in the first few laps, way to go!
Are you coming to the race this weekend, you know it is the best one for all the costumes and the relaxed atmosphere, beer hand ups are going on for sure, last year I even got a glass on one of my laps since I was thirsty, they had a keg as a corner and a coffin as a barrier......
Also for the others I am sure the SSWC are going to be sweet and so will be the USGP, last year it was awesome, I was so bummed because I had to leave right after my race, this year is 2 races and the location is much better I think, plus there is a after party for the end of the Crusade series with lots of prizes.
See you all there
Ciao
Paolo
Old 10-25-07, 12:29 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by M_S
I'm sorry? What's nice about no cat C race? Here in PDX the "C" stands for "cerveza".

Hah!
Old 10-25-07, 06:28 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i_r_beej
I'm sorry? What's nice about no cat C race? Here in PDX the "C" stands for "cerveza".

Hah!

You're just trying to make me feel even more jealous. Not only must I suck it up and get my rear handed to me in the Bs, but being under 21 means taking a beer handup might result in the race being shut down
Old 10-25-07, 08:07 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Dabbo, nice to see you there, too... now that you're racing up a cat I don't have to race against you any more!
The Astoria Halloween race is the only one I will miss for the rest of the season, unfortunately. I'm sure it will be a blast.

Anyone else thinking of coming up for either the SSWC or the USGP races, definitely go for it. If anyone needs a place to crash on those weekends let me know, I've got an extra bed/room.