Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

portland to vancouver

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

portland to vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 08:37 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
portland to vancouver

anyone ever done the portland to vancouver? any suggestions on small places, routes to go? should we go closer to the ocean or farther away? ample camping sites? also, do you think that in july-august we'll need raingear?
thanks for the help
yoni
Old 04-18-05, 09:56 PM
homebrew13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow weird, my girlfriend and I are doing the same ride this summer in August, although we were considering going the opposite way Vancouver to Portland, but we are making it a necessity to hit Seattle as well. I have never been to the Pacific NW so I can’t tell you of places to stay yet. I do have some of the trip planned out but from maps not experience. I have found this site to be a little useful Cascade Bike Club and I am using Lonely Planet's guide to biking the West Coast. I am from Philly, I see you are from Brooklyn, would you be willing to share how you are getting there (which airline) and how much it cost? Thanks a ton. PM me if you want.
Old 04-18-05, 10:12 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Late July, August and early September are the hottest, dryest months here in the PacNW. There's usually a week or so where it rains in the beginning of July, but then it will stay really dry and warm (80's & 90's) through August. I've never ridden that route, but have driven up to Vancouver several times and even in a car it is a delight to pass through. I think it would be a great bike tour. As for routes, all I can say is the coast over here is beautiful. I'd take a route that took me through the Olympic National park, and Puget Sound.... Not sure which roads exactly those would be, though. Sounds like a great time!
Old 04-19-05, 01:53 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The classic guide to touring the Pacific Coast will give you routes both on the coast and through Seattle. The new fourth edition has more routes in B.C. as well if you want to do some of the Sunshine coast or the islands. Reccomended.
Old 04-19-05, 05:31 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, that book that Kodama recommends is great (I have the older version). I would strongly recommend heading southbound, unless you enjoy headwinds.

As you will see in the book, there are ample and lovely campsites on the coast, the state parks have hiker/biker sites which are cheap, beautiful, and allow you to meet and befriend the many other riders along the way.

Don't miss the cheese factory at Tilamook, make sure to sample the ice cream.

I did Vancouver Island to the Crescent City, CA, and have also done Astoria to Portland... no problem to just head up the main highway from Astoria to Portland, it is actually pretty pleasant and safe. There is also a prevailing west wind that blows you nicely up the Columbia River.

My route was along the east side of the Olympic Penninsula (to visit a friend in Port Orchard), then accross the peninsula to join the coast route. I did it in August 2003, had great weather, but you could also see some rain, I would be prepared.

Have fun!
Anna