Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike lights for touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike lights for touring

Old 11-29-16, 10:12 AM
yoitsandy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike lights for touring

Hey all! Couldn't find any threads for this topic so thought I'd make one...apologies if there already is one.

Am currently 2 and half months into a tour from Thailand to somewhere (currently in India) and have been encountering an issue with the shortening days - lighting myself up at night! I don't ride so often at night but with darkness getting nearer and nearer it's always nice to be lit up!

Currently I have a tubus front rack and have a small rubbish light fitted to the front, I also wear a headlamp. On the back is another rubbish $5 light. My biggest problem is finding places on the bike to put lights on. Considered handlebars but not much room there. Back rack is the same problem as the tent obscures the light quite a lot.

My question then is how to get around bike light placement and also any good brands out there.

Many thanks for any help!
Andrew
Old 11-29-16, 11:00 AM
suburbanbeat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, your trip sounds awesome.

Regarding your tent obscuring your rear light - I get around this issue by utilizing a rack-mounted rear light. That is, I use a light that attaches to the very back-most part of my rear rack, so there is very little chance that anything will obscure it. Does your rack have a small plate on the back with two mounting points? Many do, and if yours does as well, it means you can use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Rack...hot+rack+mount
https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Hots...YEFJM7133PFKKE

That is the combination I use. There are also lights like this that mount directly onto the rack:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-98284...unt+bike+light

But I do recommend the Hotshot, as it is incredibly bright for a rear light.
Old 11-29-16, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I added a mount for a Handlebar LED headlight upon the Braze on I had added to My Steel Low rider hoop.

Predominant mount location for headlights is the Handlebars.. Lots of Competing companies ,
Add a 2nd Threadless stem under the first, stick a tube in it ,and you have more places for More Stuff.

What can you Buy There, on the road as You are ?
Or are you going to work out a Poste Restante Shipment to some where, for an internet Purchase?

Tropical means there also is less of a wide variation between summer and winter daylight hours

than it is for us at the 45th latitude ..

Q: how much sooner does the sun go down in Thailand ? its not that much variation being Tropical..

A: Internet Data for Bangkok, Daylight Hours

1)11:24 2)11:40 3)12:02 4)12:25 5)12:45 6)12:54

7)12:50 8)12:33 9)12:11 10)11:47 11)11:28 12)11:19

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-29-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 01:03 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
For randonneuring, I use a hub-generator headlight, one advantage being that it's ready at any time.
For taillights, I use multiple Planet Bike Superflashes. On the tandem, I have two on the rack itself, to others on the rear stays. You may have to get creative. On some helmets, you can mount one on the back with a zip tie.
Old 11-29-16, 04:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
You did not say which Tubus front rack, if it is an Ergo or Tara or one of the others with a hoop over the wheel, you can mount a light on that hoop.

I took a piece of inner tube rubber about 3/4 inch (or about 20mm) wide and long enough that I could wrap it around the bar over the wheel until it was a diameter about the same as a handlebar. Then put a piece of tape on it to keep it from unwrapping. If you try this, put some tension on the rubber when you wrap it so it grips the rack tubing tightly and does not shift position. Then mount a handlebar mount type light on it. It however will catch wheel spray so it is best if your light has good weatherproofing. See photo.

I no longer use a light in this location, I switched to a dynohub and I permanently mount a light at the fork crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP4288.jpg (90.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-29-16, 05:11 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
to be seen lights such as these, sold by Decathlon (a couple of locations in India) are cheap, effective and can be attached to essentially anything (our bunch used helmets, with white light facing front and red facing rear.

to see lights can be mounted on a fork bracket. May not be easy to get one under way. I've also mounted a catEye sideways on the steerer tube. Not first best, but beats holding the light in your hand while you pedal.... If you can order online and have things shipped, consider either some helmet compatible light or something like a Petzel
Old 11-29-16, 06:12 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Problem Solvers makes this thingy:

Old 11-29-16, 08:35 PM
yoitsandy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah thanks for such quick and great replies!

Currently taking a break near to Darjeeling so I'm able to receive post, will look into one of the rear mounted light holders, seems like a good trick.

As for the front rack, I have exactly the same as setup with some inner tube and a light, but it's forever slipping down and am scared one day it's going to hit the tyres! Handlebar lights seem the way to go I guess.

Again, many thanks!
Andrew
Old 12-06-16, 09:01 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most towns will have a workshop with craftsman who can make a bracket or adapter for almost any situation. Use the rear rack bracket if you can. You can emulate handlebar diameter with wooden dowel.
Cycling at night in many Asian countries is quite risky.
Old 12-06-16, 09:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by yoitsandy
As for the front rack, I have exactly the same as setup with some inner tube and a light, but it's forever slipping down and am scared one day it's going to hit the tyres! Handlebar lights seem the way to go I guess.
Not been a problem for me. Perhaps you should take it off and put it back on with more tension on the rubber when you wrap it so it grips the metal better.
Old 12-06-16, 06:52 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Cycling at night in many Asian countries is quite risky.
No clue what Thailand is like, but that holds VERY true for India. Heck, driving ANYTHING at night is quite risky.

As to the issue, on the back I think I'd just take some lashing straps around the tent, and attach the light to that.