Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 08:51 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Car Club

I joined a not for profit car club that operates in many UK cities. I don't use it much but when I do, it is so convenient. I have a smart card for keyless entry, online booking in 1/2 hr slots with a cap on daily charges, a realistic milleage charge. I have 4 cars within a 5 min walk of my house and I can pick the right size.
I can be car free and still use a car when a bike won't do the job.
Old 02-09-17, 03:32 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Cool!
Old 02-11-17, 01:25 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I hope that works for you. I'm not sure that these kinds of ride shares are possible in the US, given the insurance regulations, tax code and liability laws. I always thought the laws should be changed to encourage private people--relatives, friends, neighbors--to buy cars co-operatively and share expenses. It's stupid that we have to spend do much money for exclusive ownership of a machine that each individual uses for only a few hours a week, at most.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-11-17, 07:59 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I hope that works for you. I'm not sure that these kinds of ride shares are possible in the US, given the insurance regulations, tax code and liability laws. I always thought the laws should be changed to encourage private people--relatives, friends, neighbors--to buy cars co-operatively and share expenses. It's stupid that we have to spend do much money for exclusive ownership of a machine that each individual uses for only a few hours a week, at most.
I'm sure GM would disagree. That might have a bit to do with things being the way they are.
Old 02-11-17, 08:25 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I hope that works for you. I'm not sure that these kinds of ride shares are possible in the US, given the insurance regulations, tax code and liability laws.
Zipcar is a similar service. I thought we had it here, but we're not on the list. They may have tried and failed to obtain the critical mass of users necessary. The rates are fairly high IMO, so it would only be practical for short, occasional use.
Old 02-11-17, 09:18 AM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These things are great eh. I belong to one here in Japan that is basically the same. Great thing is its owned by a company that runs tons and tons of parking lots across the country. So, they also put their cars in the lots. From my flat I have about 10 rental sites available all within 5/10 min walk. And, it is cheap. Lets hope the trend continues as the demand grows for these types of services.
Old 02-11-17, 08:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
We have a for-profit "car share" here, and I belonged to it for a year. It was easy enough to book a car, but otherwise inconvenient; the closest cars were a mile and a half away, and since the target audience was university students, the cars went away between May and August. A cooperative car club sounds much better!

I always thought the laws should be changed to encourage private people--relatives, friends, neighbors--to buy cars co-operatively and share expenses. It's stupid that we have to spend do much money for exclusive ownership of a machine that each individual uses for only a few hours a week, at most.
I couldn't agree more. I know a good number of people who are already effectively doing this - letting neighbors, friends, roommates, and family members borrow the car, with or without pitching in gas money. The legal gray area is that the non-owners are not carrying liability insurance. (Bike content: as a cyclist, this is scary to me.)
Old 02-12-17, 01:21 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Walter S
I'm sure GM would disagree. That might have a bit to do with things being the way they are.
I don't know GM's opinion on car co-ops, nor do I care. I imagine the auto insurance industry would have more impact on this area of public policy, not the auto manufacturing industry, but I could be wrong.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-17, 09:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I always thought the laws should be changed to encourage private people--relatives, friends, neighbors--to buy cars co-operatively and share expenses.

And what happens to that car which was purchased co-operatively, if that neighbour, friend, or relative moves far away or if there is a personal conflict between people which leads to serious hostilities between people ??...Who ends up keeping the car ??...Personally I would never co-purchase anything with anybody, to avoid future complications.
Old 02-12-17, 12:04 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And what happens to that car which was purchased co-operatively, if that neighbour, friend, or relative moves far away or if there is a personal conflict between people which leads to serious hostilities between people ??...Who ends up keeping the car ??...Personally I would never co-purchase anything with anybody, to avoid future complications.
I agree, but I find it strange that with the upsurge of companies like Uber, Zipcar, and other ride-sharing and car-sharing, no method emerged for converting used cars into car-shares, with ride-sharing options.

A local mechanic shop or used-car dealership could sponsor such a car-share by maintaining the vehicles, and insurance companies could create group packages so the vehicles/drivers would be insured for the time they drove. I suspect the reason such businesses wouldn't want to do this is because they expect to make more money if the individuals who would participate in such car-sharing/ride-sharing would buy cars and pay/maintain/insure them individually instead of collectively.

So by preventing partial car-sharing/ride-sharing, auto businesses corner more people into more expenditures than if they allowed things like group-purchase contracts and group-insurance policies. You might even end up with a car-share driver-owned taxi company, and that would threaten existing taxi services, which seemed to be the main threat to Uber for quite a while, judging from the negative media coverage that seemed to be everywhere a year or so ago.
Old 02-12-17, 04:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
I joined a not for profit car club that operates in many UK cities. I don't use it much but when I do, it is so convenient. I have a smart card for keyless entry, online booking in 1/2 hr slots with a cap on daily charges, a realistic milleage charge. I have 4 cars within a 5 min walk of my house and I can pick the right size.
I can be car free and still use a car when a bike won't do the job.
Sounds like a great idea.
Old 02-13-17, 02:39 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think civilized people would be able to draw up a contract covering the contingencies. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the legal framework exists for such contracts. You could probably resolve ownership rights and responsibilities, as well as ways to modify or terminate the contract. But the liability issue would be tricky. Who pays if there is an accident? Can insurance be purchased by a car co-op, or does it need to be in ones individual's name? And so on....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-14-17, 03:35 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
So by preventing partial car-sharing/ride-sharing, auto businesses corner more people into more expenditures than if they allowed things like group-purchase contracts and group-insurance policies.
Surprise!
Old 04-09-17, 06:40 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
A bunch of different people using the same car??? Recipe for disaster in my opinion. If it is your own car u check it yourself for safety and maintenance. With all those different people using it some one is bound to abuse it and then u have to take your safety in some one else hands. When are we as a society just going to admit that the car is a failed system, pollutes to much costs to much and road building cost is mind boggling. We need PUBLIC TRANSIT, combined with biking.. Wish. Had som3 money for a vacation to Holland so I could see how they do it first hand...