Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I fought the law of averages, and the law of averages won

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 06:10 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

I have always been pretty conscientious about bringing a spare tube, pump, and a few tools when I go for a ride. But I have started to get lazy, and sometimes don't bother when I'm going on a short ride--if, for example, the bike I'm going to ride is already on the porch, and my flat-kit seat bag is on another bike in the shed.

Today I finally got caught out. My friend Mark and I met on the road for a socially-distanced 10 mile out-and-back, the outbound leg of which is almost all uphill and the return almost all downhill. Partway through the downhill leg I felt that familiar flup-flup-flup of the back tire.

Mark had a pump and an extra tube, but because he was riding this absurd bikepacking-type bike--not sure what you'd even call such a thing--his gigantic tube was of no use to me. I would have like to scold him for not having a patch kit, but felt that I was in no position to do so.

We'd left our separate cars back in Marshfield village, and he offered to come and pick me up, but in the light of maintaining our distance I said I'd just walk and sent him on his way. I actually had a very pleasant two-mile walk, wheeling my bike along with the early evening sun in my face, when--with a mile and a half still to go--my wife appeared in our other car, Mark having called her to explain that I'd be late.

I apologized for having her come out, and said that she hadn't needed to bother. But she was in good spirits, since it was the first time she had been off our hill in about two weeks. Also, I found a fairly good-quality 9/16" combination wrench a few hundred yards before she met me. So it all ended well. Lesson learned.

If anyone wants a 9/16" combination wrench (Chinese-made, not Snap-on or anything like that), it's yours for the cost of postage.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 04-07-20, 06:48 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Glad you didn’t get eaten by hungry Vermont wolves, Jon.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-07-20, 07:21 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by nlerner
Glad you didn’t get eaten by hungry Vermont wolves, Jon.
Yeah, that was another way in which I lucked out.

By the way, I was riding my Gran Sport with the Model 99 crank that you provided. Thanks again! Great gearing that some around here would would no doubt find laughably low--46-32 chainrings and a 14-17-21-24-28-34 Ultra 6 freewheel.

--Ogden Nash
Old 04-07-20, 07:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wonder if there’s a way to mcgiver a fix for that like tie a cpl knots in the tube or something
Old 04-07-20, 08:27 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wonder if there’s a way to mcgiver a fix for that like tie a cpl knots in the tube or something
There is, iirc, somewhere in the tricks and hacks thread.

I think you locate the hole and tie the tube to place the hole within the knot (air would not reach it ofc). Then pump the tube. Supposedly little to no effect to rolling. I haven't tried it, though....
​​​​
Old 04-07-20, 09:08 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I would have like to scold him for not having a patch kit, but felt that I was in no position to do so.
Hahahaha!!!!!

I have 2 seat bags with tubes and patch kits and C02, but I have 4 bikes, and I too end up out the door quick at times realizing that I don't have flat repair capacity with me, this thread is a good reminder to not do that!
Old 04-07-20, 11:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I have 2 seat bags ... but I have 4 bikes.
Sounds about right. My big saddle bag stays on one bike. The second biggest stays in a drawer, and the remaining four bikes usually share two cheap little bags, like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Bik...PSYIkcRtBfJAzw

It's just for a patch kit, key, and thin wallet. Have to wear a jersey with pockets to add a phone or spare tube.
Old 04-08-20, 06:42 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I try to keep common repair items in a plastic bag by the helmet/shoes or gloves. All of which I try to keep together in one place. Tubes are stored on the bike somewhere, bag or storage bottle in the extra water bottle cage. Still.....
Old 04-08-20, 06:53 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
One bike makes it easier:
several tools for tightening and flats,
two tubes for when nails find them,
one medium topeak to rule them all,
and in the darkness bind them....

Merde! Just realized, I need a flashlight....
Old 04-08-20, 07:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
You don't want to "clash" with the law. The law will always win the fight.
Old 04-08-20, 09:16 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sounds about right. My big saddle bag stays on one bike. The second biggest stays in a drawer, and the remaining four bikes usually share two cheap little bags, like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Bik...PSYIkcRtBfJAzw

It's just for a patch kit, key, and thin wallet. Have to wear a jersey with pockets to add a phone or spare tube.
Its tempting to buy a couple of those so that my 2 remaining bikes can always be prepared, but filling them with a multi tool, Co2 inflator, a couple cylinders, a tube, a patch kit, $20+ in cash... All of a sudden its a fair bit of money :-/
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-08-20, 09:32 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
Truth be told, it's happened to me and I'll bet a fair number of others. On occasion, I like to mess with the Law.
Old 04-08-20, 12:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You don't want to "clash" with the law. The law will always win the fight.
hmmmm if reworked the title could be a good song maybe

the Clash-ic

the big hit every one remembers bobby fuller

original Crickets without buddy holly

Last edited by squirtdad; 04-08-20 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-08-20, 02:47 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
hmmmm if reworked the title could be a good song maybe
Thanks for that--I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who remembered that song. Or if maybe I'd just imagined that it was a song.

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 04-08-20, 06:35 PM
hellion14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
It’s always the short ‘I don’t need tools for this’ rides that will get you. Last week, introducing my daughter to mountain biking I fell victim myself. I did pack a tube and pump but left the tool pack behind. Not far into the ride as I pulled up on the bar to wheelie over something I felt the handlebar slip in it mounts. As I twisted it back into place I thought well that felt too easy. I managed to finish the ride without alerting my daughter and riding pretty carefully, and I won’t make that mistake again. Until of course I forget this experience and do ; )
Old 04-09-20, 04:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Tools, these days, look a lot like a cell phone. I do, however, carry tire levers, a patch kit(used to carry a spare inner tube, but a patch is just as good and takes up very little storage space), a six in adjustable wrench, three allen wrenches, a pocket knife in Canada or a machete in Jamaica, a lighter and, of course my pump.. I also keep a short length of rope with me...

That said, many a time have I had to walk home, particularly in Jamaica. Two of those walks, one about 5km, the other 7km, put the finishing touches on my SPD shoes. They, and my worn out padded half gloves, stayed in Jamaica when my wife and I made a run for it with hopes of being safer from the virus...
Old 04-09-20, 05:12 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I have always been pretty conscientious about bringing a spare tube, pump, and a few tools when I go for a ride. But I have started to get lazy, and sometimes don't bother when I'm going on a short ride--if, for example, the bike I'm going to ride is already on the porch, and my flat-kit seat bag is on another bike in the shed.

Today I finally got caught out. My friend Mark and I met on the road for a socially-distanced 10 mile out-and-back, the outbound leg of which is almost all uphill and the return almost all downhill. Partway through the downhill leg I felt that familiar flup-flup-flup of the back tire.

Mark had a pump and an extra tube, but because he was riding this absurd bikepacking-type bike--not sure what you'd even call such a thing--his gigantic tube was of no use to me. I would have like to scold him for not having a patch kit, but felt that I was in no position to do so.

We'd left our separate cars back in Marshfield village, and he offered to come and pick me up, but in the light of maintaining our distance I said I'd just walk and sent him on his way. I actually had a very pleasant two-mile walk, wheeling my bike along with the early evening sun in my face, when--with a mile and a half still to go--my wife appeared in our other car, Mark having called her to explain that I'd be late.

I apologized for having her come out, and said that she hadn't needed to bother. But she was in good spirits, since it was the first time she had been off our hill in about two weeks. Also, I found a fairly good-quality 9/16" combination wrench a few hundred yards before she met me. So it all ended well. Lesson learned.

If anyone wants a 9/16" combination wrench (Chinese-made, not Snap-on or anything like that), it's yours for the cost of postage.
Your lucky that Mr Murphy did not also won you since it would have been a 10 mile walk
Old 04-09-20, 06:07 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Many years ago I was out on a ride on a local MUP, probably about 10 miles from home, when my rear tire went flat. Well, no problem, as I had a spare tube, pump, and tire levers. What I didn’t realize was that my spare tube had a faulty valve (who checks their spare tube?), and I didn’t have a patch kit. It was a long walk home.
Old 04-09-20, 07:23 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
I've also decided to carry a can of Vittoria Pit Stop, along with a tube, patch kit, pump and tools. Weighs just a few ounces and takes up about the same amount of space as a CO2 inflator.

One saved my bacon just last week.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-09-20, 07:26 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
A 9/16" is close enough for gov't work to a 14mm, if that's of any use to you.
Old 04-09-20, 08:40 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
And now every time I get home from a ride where I forgot my pump I'll be singing
Old 04-09-20, 09:07 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by nlerner
Many years ago I was out on a ride on a local MUP, probably about 10 miles from home, when my rear tire went flat. Well, no problem, as I had a spare tube, pump, and tire levers. What I didn’t realize was that my spare tube had a faulty valve (who checks their spare tube?), and I didn’t have a patch kit. It was a long walk home.
thats why i carry 2 tubes and patch kit

Old 04-09-20, 09:48 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
Nothing more sad than to see someone walking a bike. I did the walk of shame when I was a half mile from my house when I got a flat and figured it was easier to fix it at home. As everyone is looking at me, I felt like screaming "Yes I know how to fix a bike!".
Old 04-09-20, 10:18 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Leinster
And now every time I get home from a ride where I forgot my pump I'll be singing The Dead Kennedys
thanks for that one....totally forgot about that version.....

Old 04-09-20, 10:47 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
I did the walk with a flat close to home, so that makes at least two different reasons. Someone should start a thread on the WOS. AIR, Bobby Fuller's career was taking off when he was found shot dead in his car in LA. Unsolved AFAIK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.