Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

In line gear indicator??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

In line gear indicator??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 05:19 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
In line gear indicator??

I have one on our tandem which is fading out.
Is this a "white elephant"???
Old 05-13-20, 08:40 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Hi,

I have one on my tandem as well - hard to know sometimes what's going on way back there. Wanted another one for a second tandem and found it on Amazon for something like $10. Checked recently and they are "currently un-available." I have only seen these for 9 speed, which works for my tandems. Let us know what you find out.

Joe R.
Old 05-13-20, 10:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Pretty much yes. There were 9 and 10 speed versions IIRC. But as shift cables went under bar wrap these aids went by the way side. Andy
Old 05-14-20, 06:42 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
I have several of those, think they are 9 speed, shoot me a PMif you want one...or two.
Old 05-14-20, 06:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The other, also now obsolete, gear indicators were the Shimano "Flight Deck" cyclometers that displayed which chainring and cog the bike was in. They had to be wired to both brifters which had to be compatible. Apparently these weren't a big success as they were dropped by Shimano after a few years.
Old 05-14-20, 07:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

We still see Flight Decks every so often. Most owners are in love with their orphans. More common are the STI shift pods with Flight Deck wiring that need solvent flushing and lubing. We tell our customers that their FD wiring will need to be cut out (having pulled and reinstalled some before we won't offer that any longer) and most of these riders never even knew of their lever's feature.

My gear indicators are my heart, my lungs and that ages old glance down between my legs. Andy
Old 05-14-20, 09:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have found gear indicators are nice at the extremes, especially on varying terrain. My flat bar bikes are 2x with a Suntour thumb shifter for the chainrings (too many barre chords over the years). My road bike is a triple and has downtube shifters, which are indicators.

I will say knowing where I am on a mountain bike helps settings things up and for those “please, just one more gear,” and “oh....” times.

I’m pretty much oblivious when riding on flats or rollers, and just go along at whatever pace I want.

John
Old 05-14-20, 10:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My road bike is a triple and has downtube shifters, which are indicators.
That is another advantage of the Gevenalle shifters. They are bar end or downtube levers mounted directly on the brake levers. Since they don't "return to center" like brifters the lever position tells you which cog or chainring you are end just by feel.
Old 05-14-20, 03:24 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"My gear indicators are my heart, my lungs and that ages old glance down between my legs. Andy"

Yup, that pretty much covers it.
Old 05-14-20, 06:07 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
But on a tandem it is nice to have an idea where your at on the cassette. I am continuing to ask my wife.
Old 05-14-20, 08:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The other, also now obsolete, gear indicators were the Shimano "Flight Deck" cyclometers that displayed which chainring and cog the bike was in. They had to be wired to both brifters which had to be compatible. Apparently these weren't a big success as they were dropped by Shimano after a few years.
hated how easily the cable popped out on those, have to pop open the back, take out the cable and put the little ball back in the plastic piece and close it back up. Every single tune up practically.

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
But on a tandem it is nice to have an idea where your at on the cassette. I am continuing to ask my wife.
I do really like the inline indicators, been considering upgrading to 10 speed on mine and if I do will go with 4600 series Tiagra which has an indicator built into the shifter.
Old 05-14-20, 08:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

The other way to figure out which cog you're in is to remember where you were before. Yes I know this means one needs to pay attention to what they do for longer then most attention spans can handle. (Sorry but I couldn't help but take that shot)

While I don't ride our tandem anywhere near as much as in the past I do remember finding ourselves in a different gear then what I thought. The solution was to shift, double if needed, to get to what we wanted. Didn't happen too often though as my first reply usually made it pretty obvious, the more you ride as a team then more you learn the effort/pace/cadence and the resulting gear you're in. Andy