Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11 speed on old MTB?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

11 speed on old MTB?

Old 01-01-20, 03:44 PM
MrStroker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
11 speed on old MTB?

Ok so I have a couple of old MTB bikes I'm messing around with. The are 26 wheels with 135qr hubs and Shimano freehub. So as far as I understand it 11 speed mountain bike cassette will fit the wheel. My concern is the rest of the bike. If I use the old crankset with the middle chainring will I have to worry about my chainline? I'm also not opposed to going 10 speed if I would have less clearance issues.

I have searched and wasn't finding satisfactory answers. Any info is appreciated.

Edit:
I found an article that explains my conundrum. I will probably just go with 10 speed.

Last edited by MrStroker; 01-01-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 04:32 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStroker
Ok so I have a couple of old MTB bikes I'm messing around with. The are 26 wheels with 135qr hubs and Shimano freehub. So as far as I understand it 11 speed mountain bike cassette will fit the wheel. My concern is the rest of the bike. If I use the old crankset with the middle chainring will I have to worry about my chainline? I'm also not opposed to going 10 speed if I would have less clearance issues.

I have searched and wasn't finding satisfactory answers. Any info is appreciated.

Edit:
I found an article that explains my conundrum. I will probably just go with 10 speed.
11 and 12 speed HG MTB cassettes should work.
Chainline should be OK with middle ring.

Note that a new NW chainring would help to keep the chain on. So measure BCD of that middle ring.