Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Newbie seeking advice on second wheelset

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 04:34 PM
LS1BadBird

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Greetings! I have a Cannondale Topstone and am thinking about getting a second wheel set, primarily because the rear gravel tire is very loud on my trainer and want something with a slick I could swap on or off. I've been riding a few years, but know nothing about buying wheels. Can anybody point me in the direction of a nice affordable replacement? Thank you!
Old 01-06-20, 04:36 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
If you just want something for the trainer, buy the cheapest rear wheel you can find and put an old road tire on it. If you're buying a wheelset, look for something that has capabilities your current wheelset doesn't.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-06-20, 05:35 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1BadBird
Greetings! I have a Cannondale Topstone and am thinking about getting a second wheel set, primarily because the rear gravel tire is very loud on my trainer and want something with a slick I could swap on or off. I've been riding a few years, but know nothing about buying wheels. Can anybody point me in the direction of a nice affordable replacement? Thank you!
You need a rear wheel that is: 142x12mm Thru Axle, Shimano/Sram freehub, and not broken. Put out a wtb ad on the various forums/Facebook pages and someone will have one. Or check ebay.
Old 01-31-20, 09:07 AM
evan the cdn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LS1BadBird
I was in a similar position and decided to buy a dedicated trainer tire instead (ie. Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer 700). It takes a little more time than just swapping a wheel but changing a tire isn't a bad skill to practice twice a year.
Edit: But yes, Shoota's advice on what to buy if you want to get another wheel is good.
Old 01-31-20, 11:46 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Which model Topstone do you have? I believe the carbon model uses a rear wheel with a special dish.
Old 01-31-20, 12:39 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If you just want a trainer wheel, I'd go ultra-cheap, but if you use this as an excuse to buy a nice second wheelset... it's fun to play around on prowheelbuilder.com to get an idea of what is out there and what things cost. You might want to consider a 650b set to have something different than the stock wheels?

As the poster above mentioned, the carbon Toptstone model has an asymmetric frame that requires a special rear wheel dish, so off-the shelf wheelsets won't fit properly. The good news is that most LBS's can re-dish a wheel for you for minimal cost.
Old 01-31-20, 12:41 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Another option here might be to just upgrade to a direct-drive trainer instead of a second wheel / wheelset.

Apparently I like to find reasons to buy new stuff.