Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Camelbak + Laptop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Camelbak + Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 05:48 PM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camelbak + Laptop

I'm going to be moving into an apartment soon, and need a camelbak(thinking about the Alpine Explorer) that can hold a book or two along with a laptop for going to school and back. My laptop is 11x15 inches. I was wondering if anyone uses one, or if they knew the dimensions of the bag. I can only find volume. Thanks.

Last edited by serra; 07-29-10 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I should really be specific ha.
Old 07-30-10, 07:15 AM
macteacher

Bikes: Specialized FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im not sure if camelback's come that big. Have you thought of just getting an inexpensive pannier to hold your stuff? I mean there is nothing to worry about and it is nice to have that weight off your back.
Old 07-30-10, 11:00 AM
peebee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the pannier suggestion. I rode with a backpack for years, so happy to get that stuff off my back now (actually, I still carry a backpack, I just put it in the pannier rather than on my back now).

If you're sold on the backpack idea though, I'd consider just getting a regular backpack + water cage & water bottle, or regular backpack + Camelback bladder stuffed in the backpack (replacement bladders are available at any bike shop, just stick one in your backpack and away you go). I'm not aware of any Camelback big enough to carry laptops, books, etc.
Old 07-30-10, 11:27 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know which model I have, as I've had it for a couple of years now. Only indication on it is "D Fit", but the bag you are looking at looks to be similar is size and shape, and mine can handle a laptop and books in the large (closest to your back) compartment. On my bag, that compartment is about 11x19. with the depth varying. The bag is flexible, so the width can be 'stretched' if need be. Mine has two zippered compartments, with the area in between them being an always open reach in compartment. I put paperbacks I'm reading in there. Oh, and there is a soft lined cell phone compartment, and pockets on the sides: one mesh and one zippered, where I keep hex wrenches and such. Front compartment has smaller places for wallets, pen and pencil, etc.

The bag works great for my commute, and I love having the water always right there as I'm riding. Looking at the photo, I suspect the Alpine is pretty similar. I originally got mine for search and rescue, but use it as all purpose carry all when I go to work, whether I'm riding or driving.
Old 07-30-10, 11:33 AM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I don't know which model I have, as I've had it for a couple of years now. Only indication on it is "D Fit", but the bag you are looking at looks to be similar is size and shape, and mine can handle a laptop and books in the large (closest to your back) compartment. On my bag, that compartment is about 11x19. with the depth varying. The bag is flexible, so the width can be 'stretched' if need be. Mine has two zippered compartments, with the area in between them being an always open reach in compartment. I put paperbacks I'm reading in there. Oh, and there is a soft lined cell phone compartment, and pockets on the sides: one mesh and one zippered, where I keep hex wrenches and such. Front compartment has smaller places for wallets, pen and pencil, etc.

The bag works great for my commute, and I love having the water always right there as I'm riding. Looking at the photo, I suspect the Alpine is pretty similar. I originally got mine for search and rescue, but use it as all purpose carry all when I go to work, whether I'm riding or driving.
Awesome, I'd read similar things about packs with a smaller volume the the Alpine, they can fit books+15" laptops in them. Mines 17", but the pack is larger, so I'm guessing that it would fit. Your pack sounds really similar to the one I'm looking at getting, and I'm stuff it with the same stuff, so thanks!

I actually do have panniers(Ortlieb back roller classics) and a backpack. The problem with the back pack is that it's gargantuan, and doesn't stay securely on my back, on turns it tries to fall off/throw me off. The panneirs would work fine, except that once I got to school, I'd have to carry them around all day. They do have shoulder straps, but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. I also like going on long rides, and my old off-brand camelbak is falling to pieces, so I need one anyway. I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Three really, I like hiking too, and it would be a great day pack.
Old 08-02-10, 11:56 AM
poohbear
Angel on wheels ^__^;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out www.deuterusa.com

My ex-bf got me the Futura AC28and it can hold the 15" laptop and some other books while giving you that mesh backing for back cooling in hot temps. The bag however is arched inside thus how it achieves the mesh vented back. I know the AC28 has chest and waist straps to cinch everything down.

https://deuterusa.com/products/produc...ng&tert=futura

I would look into the other bags on that website.

https://deuterusa.com/products/dayPacks.php

I've considered the cross city model but it was not avalialbe back then. pending what books you have Giga Flat looks good as well tho the CrossCity looks most versatile.

Originally Posted by serra
Awesome, I'd read similar things about packs with a smaller volume the the Alpine, they can fit books+15" laptops in them. Mines 17", but the pack is larger, so I'm guessing that it would fit. Your pack sounds really similar to the one I'm looking at getting, and I'm stuff it with the same stuff, so thanks!

I actually do have panniers(Ortlieb back roller classics) and a backpack. The problem with the back pack is that it's gargantuan, and doesn't stay securely on my back, on turns it tries to fall off/throw me off. The panneirs would work fine, except that once I got to school, I'd have to carry them around all day. They do have shoulder straps, but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. I also like going on long rides, and my old off-brand camelbak is falling to pieces, so I need one anyway. I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Three really, I like hiking too, and it would be a great day pack.
Old 08-02-10, 03:51 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Many if not most proper small backpacks (i.e. not campus book bags) come with support for hydration -- spot for the hose to route through, pouch for the bladder, etc. Camelbak makes a few large models, but there's really a huge selection out there from all kinds of backpack manufacturers.

+1 on panniers. But if you insist on a backpack, there's a wealth of choices.
Old 08-02-10, 07:07 PM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, really helped me think this through. I opted for the camelbak, I have 2 weeks with no school to save for a netbook, so I'll just be bringing that.