Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bags: Messenger v. Backpack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 04:41 PM
killtheaquitted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into getting a commuter bag, and I am interested to hear everyone's pros and cons between messenger and backpacks for cycling. Also, I've been looking at those Chrome bags but they are super pricey. Anything justify that cost over something like timbuk2?
Old 02-09-15, 05:11 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Rear rack + Ortlieb Downtown pannier (can be taken off quickly and easily, and carried like a messenger bag when you're off the bike, but gets the weight off your back when riding)
Old 02-09-15, 05:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use two types of messenger bags. One of them is a roll-top backpack and the other one is strap across chest type of a bag plus it has the stabilizer strap so it doesn't shift ... I prefer the backpack , it's more comfortable especially if you have to walk somewhere.
Messenger bags are more comfortable on bikes with more aggressive geometry, handlebars below the saddle where you lean forward more, they are uncomfortable on bikes which are more upright.
My bags are also 100% waterproof. Messenger bags are convenient and easy to get things in and out fast that's why messengers use them, unless you're working as a messenger I would recommend a backpack.
Old 02-09-15, 05:44 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you must use / or prefer a backpack, consider it flopping around when you ride or getting onto / off the bike. I currently use a North Face backpack with waist strap and chest strap to pull the shoulder straps in. This works very well to sling low and rest on my hips when riding, especially in the drops, not on my back so much.

I would prefer a lighter weight backpack, with the suspension holding it off my back, but wouldn't sacrifice the waist belt. If I had my druthers I would have detachable panniers for commuting.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-09-15, 06:07 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by killtheaquitted
I'm looking into getting a commuter bag, and I am interested to hear everyone's pros and cons between messenger and backpacks for cycling. Also, I've been looking at those Chrome bags but they are super pricey. Anything justify that cost over something like timbuk2?
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Look into Banggood.com, I don't need a bag but after looking at all they offer, I just might get one!! backpack.....
Old 02-09-15, 06:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by killtheaquitted
I find messenger bags slip off to the side (and I ride with a lot of forward lean) so I will only use backpacks. I have seen some that were really god and some really bad. My current favorite (and most comfortable I have every used) is the smallest, cheapest Black Diamond. Wore it yesterday on a 60 mile charity ride with two tough climbs and never thought about it.

I usually modify my bags to carry a U-lock neatly. The Black Diamond has a slot at the top for one leg of the lock. A couple of simple loops of 1/8" polyester cord and the lock is completely secure with its weight balanced.

I haven't priced either the Timbuk or Chrome, so I have no idea how the $30 I paid at REI compares.

Edit: this backpack has both chest and waist straps, features I would insist on.

Ben
Old 02-09-15, 08:54 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
I have had great luck with a back pack. I ride a road bike with drops and this pack has served me well for years.
Kelty Redwing 44 | Panel Loading Trail Backpack 44 Liter
I removed the waist strap, but always use the chest strap. It is stable even when I am cranking over 150 rpm on my fixie. I often load it with a couple of gallons of milk when shopping and it is still fairly comfortable. The one modification I had to do is bend the spine at the top so my helmet did not hit it. It was a 5 minute job.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 02-09-15, 08:56 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Osprey backpacks, wish I owned one. Might own one someday just for commuting. I see bmwjoe uses a classic reliable Kelty pack, and others have mentioned the chest strap / belt requirements, so I feel justified using my North Face daypack. Wish it had a rain cover. But still, check out Osprey commuter packs. Includes a rain cover.

Spin Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2015: Official Site
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-09-15, 10:44 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have an Osprey Ozone for carrying my laptop etc. around my site at work and a MW for commuting. The Osprey is not suitable for commuting but works great around the campus.

For commuting I use a Mission Workshop VX Sanction. It is very light and waterproof and cleans off easy. I have a 30 mi RT commuter and can't imagine fussing with a messenger bag all that way.

VX Sanction 20L rucksack with Arkiv closure system by Mission Workshop.

But that was a gift at cost.

Last edited by GeneO; 02-09-15 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 11:04 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was a messenger I had a custom messenger bag made and it's awesome, for working as a messenger.

These days if I have to carry anything on my bike I use a rack and pannier(s).

If I had to use a bag it would be a good quality backpack with waist and sternum straps.
Old 02-09-15, 11:08 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I just shared this on another thread, but I thought it may be helpful to help decide your bag/backpack dilemma. I mainly commute and use a backpack to carry work clothes, extra bike clothes, and supplies that don't fit in the saddle and frame bags. When I had one bike it had a back rack and I used to use a gym bag/duffel bag bungeed to the rack, but found it more convenient to use a backpack which keeps my hands free when I walk out to the bike, walk in from the bike, walk into stores without shopping carts, etc. When I got my road bike a few years ago, I wore the backpack. At first I wore it tight and my shoulders ached, my skin chafed and my back sweated. I eventuall learned to leave the straps long and merely rest the bag on the small of my back which allows more air to cool my back. It doesn't seem like it should be stable, but it is. I've "cycled" through three backpacks in the last 15 years and they have all worked this way. My next bag may have a waist strap, but I don't know if that would help or hinder; however I now have two out of three bikes with rear racks. Some have suggested a pannier with straps to wear as a back pack.
Old 02-09-15, 11:23 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I have a literally new Chrome Kremlin that's been used only once or twice. It's not sold by Chrome anymore but it's huge. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to deal via threads so PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-15-15, 01:26 PM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once upon a time I wore out a Timbuk2 a year. Now I ride either Reload messenger bags (I wore my first out after 9 years, was so impressed I went right back and had them magic me up a new one!) or Ortlieb panniers + rack. It really depends on my riding needs; do I need to zip around and make a lot of stops? I'll take the mess bag. Am I trucking to work or doing heavy-duty shopping (groceries, Target, etc)? Panniers.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's reasonably waterproof so you're never surprised while out and about. Bags should either be lined with Hypalon (sewn as a bag-in-a-bag) or with RF-welded seams. Panniers should basically be Ortliebs unless you want to have to put a nylon baggie over them.

Edit: Also, if you choose to go messenger bag, don't fear the cross strap. Properly tightened, it'll keep the bag from swinging around. Tighten the main strap so that you can wear it as high up on your back as you can.
Old 02-16-15, 03:15 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In regards to a backpack, does anyone use a Green Guru Backpack like this?:
Commuter 17L Backpack Recycled Upcycled Bike Tubes Made in USA : Green Guru Gear, Made in the USA
Old 02-18-15, 07:12 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
chrome bags are nicer than most timbuk2 bags because they have one or more "stabilizer" straps to keep the messenger bag for sliding off of you and throwing off your balance. Also everyone knows messenger bags are cooler cause they are just more "aero". 8D