Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Performance Bike goes chapter 11

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 09:26 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...A#.W-7RPy3Mwcm

I hope no BF member's employment is affected.
Old 11-16-18, 09:31 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Bummer.
Old 11-16-18, 09:39 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I know some people poo poo their shops, but I've had some great service there and would miss them if the one in our town folded.
Old 11-16-18, 09:52 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I get a lot (most?) of my riding apparel there, as I refuse to buy things I can't try on first. Also good for basics that I unexpectedly need too, as they are open considerably longer hours than most local shops. That said, two of the three by me have drastically reduced their square footage in the past year and a half. For what they are, I always thought three in the Metro Detroit area was over extended.

More interested to see what this does to Fuji.
Old 11-16-18, 09:55 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
they had a good run and will be missed
Old 11-16-18, 09:55 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I get this. There are 2 Performance stores within 20 miles of each other in the Baltimore area.

And both are in areas with other LBS's.

Why?

They are oversaturating themselves. In Baltimore Performance might be better served by moving store locations to areas that don't have locally owned shops\ within 5 miles of the Performance stores. And there is no need for 2 of them.

They also wouldn't hurt themselves to rebrand as a normal person's bike shop. The 3 LBS's within 5 miles of one of the Performance stores in this area all cater to a higher end market. They still sell the $500 bikes but they focus on the $2000+ bikes. Performance tries to do both and shouldn't. They should cater to the sub $1000 bike market (which is THE VAST MAJORITY of bike buyers) and advertise as such. Make the marketing "Do you want better than the Wal Mart bike but don't want to spend a mortgage payment on a new bike? Come check out the latest Fuji bike models at Performance"

Here, in this market, I think that is a good plan. In another market that might be the opposite of what they should do based on competition. And that is where a national bike retail chain needs serious flexibility to cater to the local market. You can't make a one size fits all bike shop and insert it into every area. It won't work.
Old 11-16-18, 10:04 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I will also be sad to see this chain close, as many of the mentions above apply. I get my apparel here most of the time, particularly riding shorts.
Old 11-16-18, 10:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I used to buy stuff from them online...but their prices quit being all that great years ago...and the last time I ordered from them a year ago it took over a week to ship. Not impressed with how they handle their e-commerce anymore. Hopefully for the sake of the employees they can fix it.

Their problem is like Sears and BestBuy and Circuit City...they're a warehouse store that often charge LBS prices. And their service, online anyway, is sub par.
Old 11-16-18, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
so it goes ...

So maybe web sales will survive , time will tell..
Staff, (holding company investors and in store ) inventory & leases were,
it seems, too much..

and winter is always a hard time in bike biz.
my local survives on repairs , sales of bikes is slow,
though it has game hunters hitting the woods on MTBs now...

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-16-18 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 10:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18449 Post(s)
Liked 15,684 Times in 7,373 Posts
It's Chapter 11, which is reorganization, not liquidation. Some of you have the place buried already.
Old 11-16-18, 10:24 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's Chapter 11, which is reorganization, not liquidation. Some of you have the place buried already.

And I quote:

"He said that under the current store leases, 40 locations are unprofitable and are likely to be closed. But Cunnane said leases on some of those 40 stores could be renegotiated to make the stores profitable and more likely to stay open.

"We've been trying to renegotiate those leases since we bought (Performance)," he said. "It's hard to have any kind of leverage because we have about 100 landlords." Cunnane said Performance doesn't own any of its stores. The company owns its office in Philadelphia and its offices and warehouse in North Carolina."

Odds are lots of people are going to get re-organized into oblivion, no matter what. So no, it isn't really premature....especially given that after 2 years of trying to renegotiate those leases they still have unprofitable leases.
Old 11-16-18, 10:33 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not surprising at all.

They local store closed 3 years ago due to competition from much better retailers. Performance hasn't been missed.
Old 11-16-18, 10:35 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Remember when everyone lost their minds because Niner filed a Ch. 11 petition in order to facilitate a sale?
Old 11-16-18, 10:44 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 4,053 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I used to buy stuff from them online...but their prices quit being all that great years ago...and the last time I ordered from them a year ago it took over a week to ship. Not impressed with how they handle their e-commerce anymore. Hopefully for the sake of the employees they can fix it.

Their problem is like Sears and BestBuy and Circuit City...they're a warehouse store that often charge LBS prices. And their service, online anyway, is sub par.
I don't see that at the stores here in the Dallas area. I'm a rewards member, so I get 10% back to start with. Additionally, they seem to almost always have a 20% off coupon that's good for most items in the store. Admittedly, I've only been shopping there for a couple of months. Maybe that 20% off coupon is a fairly recent thing.

I literally just got off the phone with them to correct a problem with a recent return getting credited incorrectly. The customer service rep fixed the problem.

I hope my local store isn't affected. I really enjoy shopping there.

-Matt
Old 11-16-18, 10:51 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 4,053 Times in 1,433 Posts
Interestingly, I just noticed this page https://www.performancebike.com/shop...ormance-update. It shows a list of stores which will no longer be processing their Team Performance Rewards points. I'm not sure what that means otherwise, but that *could* indicate stores they will be closing.

-Matt
Old 11-16-18, 10:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Not impressed with how they handle their e-commerce anymore. Hopefully for the sake of the employees they can fix it.
Actually, one change I hope they come out of it making is better integration between PB and Nashbar, maybe killing off the Performance house brand completely in favor of making it all Nashbar, and allowing local stores to act as a front for Nashbar (think ship to store, easy returns, etc)

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Interestingly, I just noticed this page https://www.performancebike.com/shop...ormance-update. It shows a list of stores which will no longer be processing their Team Performance Rewards points. I'm not sure what that means otherwise, but that *could* indicate stores they will be closing.

-Matt
Considering there are 41 stores on that list, I'd say that is very likely. Thankfully, it is the least used store of mine in the Detroit area that seemingly is getting the boot. Unsurprising, considering it is the one with such turnover of staff I was once offered a mechanic job, and the one whose footprint got cut to almost nothing.
Old 11-16-18, 11:02 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 355 Posts
So Performance has been struggling for years, and their wholesaler bought them because they owed the wholesaler an excessive amount of money.

The local Performance store is actually one of the better local bike stores, with good mechanics and a bigger inventory than most of the independents.

They basically stopped carrying Pearl Izumi, going to house brands and adding Louis Garneau, after having the best Pearl Izumi selection of any local store. I now try to avoid LG items, I've had problems with design or fit on most of the ones I've bought over the years. And their shoe and helmet inventory is much smaller. Too bad, the other local stores are mostly too small to carry a wide inventory. I wonder if most non-impulse bike equipment and clothing purchases will be almost completely online soon.
Old 11-16-18, 11:04 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I think some stores will be closing.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/free-shipping

As Of 11/16/18 Ship To Store Is no long available to the Performance Bicycle retail locations listed below. Ship To Store is available to all other Performance Bicycle retail locations:
Old 11-16-18, 11:07 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
When the writing is on the wall....hard to ignore. Signals like this going up in the age of e commerce is a death sentence.
Old 11-16-18, 11:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18449 Post(s)
Liked 15,684 Times in 7,373 Posts

Odds are lots of people are going to get re-organized into oblivion, no matter what. So no, it isn't really premature....especially given that after 2 years of trying to renegotiate those leases they still have unprofitable leases.
Yes. Some people will lose their jobs. But that wasn't my point. My point was that posts #5 and #7 have Performance going out of business due to this filing, which is simply not the case. It may happen down the road, but at this point, it is trying to reorganize, not liquidate.
Old 11-16-18, 12:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Damn. Performance is the only actual bike shop I like visiting because of their selection of stuff and prices compared to regular shops.
Old 11-16-18, 12:06 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I know some people poo poo their shops, but I've had some great service there and would miss them if the one in our town folded.
Same. They've been my LBS since they opened in my area and were also one of the few drawbacks from my moving away from them in the near future. I'd thought I'd just go back to buying from Nashbar after I moved but that may not be an option either.
Old 11-16-18, 12:11 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I think some stores will be closing.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/free-shipping

As Of 11/16/18 Ship To Store Is no long available to the Performance Bicycle retail locations listed below. Ship To Store is available to all other Performance Bicycle retail locations:
And the store I shopped at is on the list.
Old 11-16-18, 12:13 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm not sure how many shops they have in California, but by the looks of those lists it looks like they're leaving the state entirely.

-Kedosto
Old 11-16-18, 12:20 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^No^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.