Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Got an old iPhone? Insanely cheap bike computer solution

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 11:02 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So Wahoo sells and, evidently, has lots of leftover iPhone 4/4S compatible bike mount cases. Weatherproof, and includes internal ANT+ connectivity. Also compatible with their extended battery pack. And since it's got a microUSB port, it's compatible with other chargers and battery packs as well.

It's going as cheap as NINETY NINE CENTS (Buy it now price!!!) on eBay; and $29 on Amazon. I've got an old iPhone 4 in a drawer, and so I snagged the $29 kit on Amazon; that comes with the Speed/Cadence sensor. For less than the price of the speed/cadence sensor alone, I've got the speed/cadence sensor, and a way to turn that old dust collecting iPhone 4 into a bike computer. I'll honestly probably leave it on the bike in the garage and charge it through the cases Micro USB port. By removing the SIM card you actually save a ton of battery; even when using the GPS. (Obviously, since it's not 'activated', you'll also need an app that downloads the total maps to your device or tether it to your phone).

But still, for under 30 bucks, slap in an old iPhone; and you've got one heck of a computer!

Figured I'd pass it along!

Note that if you have a 4S; you'll also be able to use Bluetooth 4.0 sensors. But if you've got a 4 like me; you'll have to stick with ANT+ sensors (which connect to the case).

Amazon Link:
Amazon.com: Wahoo Fitness Bike Pack for iPhone: Sports & Outdoors
Likes For RomansFiveEight:
Old 01-16-15, 01:41 AM
Domane

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to be hit and miss at about 50% if it will work or not. I will pass after reading the Amazon reviews for this product.
Old 01-16-15, 08:12 AM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Domane
Seems to be hit and miss at about 50% if it will work or not. I will pass after reading the Amazon reviews for this product.
Yeah, I saw the reviews too. Most of the complaints were actually about the battery life of the iPhone; which is no fault of this particular products (and they do sell an external battery pack.) Some complaints about the heart rate monitor. Which this particular kit doesn't include (and HRM's are notorious for drawing bad reviews from people who don't read the instructions and realize that they often don't work 'dry'). One or two folks broke it and one or two folks had issues with ANT+ sensors pairing.

About 50% would require 34 of the 68 reviewers to suggest that it didn't work.

Also; looking through the reviews; it seems most of the complaints had nothing to do with the product at all. One person gave it one stars and his complaints were poor battery life and that some of the big cycling apps don't work for the older iPhones anymore. And a couple complaints about the speed/cadence sensor not working with a couple of comfort bikes / townies / other types of bikes. If you break down the reviews where folks said it didn't WORK; there's actually only a couple.
Old 01-16-15, 08:33 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Battery life is always a real concern. Most of us with a dedicated cycling computer like the facte that just a glance allows us to see what or stats are. We do not want to have to touch something to make it visible. Even at very low brightness settings, forcing any smartphone to display continuously is a huge power drain and on any longer ride the danger is always of shutdown and loss of all the data we have acquired. You are powering both the phone and the Wahoo attachment.

I have always felt that a dedicated cycling computer is a better solution than a smartphone even though I do carry my phone on every ride. This is especially true on long rides.

A suggestion for your old phones, if you are in a financial situation to take advantage of it, donate your old smartphone to a battered women's shelter and take the tax deduction.
Old 01-16-15, 08:46 AM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Battery life is always a real concern. Most of us with a dedicated cycling computer like the facte that just a glance allows us to see what or stats are. We do not want to have to touch something to make it visible. Even at very low brightness settings, forcing any smartphone to display continuously is a huge power drain and on any longer ride the danger is always of shutdown and loss of all the data we have acquired. You are powering both the phone and the Wahoo attachment.

I have always felt that a dedicated cycling computer is a better solution than a smartphone even though I do carry my phone on every ride. This is especially true on long rides.

A suggestion for your old phones, if you are in a financial situation to take advantage of it, donate your old smartphone to a battered women's shelter and take the tax deduction.
Yeah for sure. For those of us new and starting out; the prospect of getting a fully functional bike computer for under $30 (effectively) is a nice idea. Eventually I would like the Garmin 810 for the navigation and long battery life. But with an external battery pack and the cellular radio turned off; I'll probably have all the battery life this noob needs.

You'd be amazed at how much battery you save removing the SIM card. The GPS and screen are still a big drain of course. Also; in a situation like this; the auto-suspend/auto-lock can be disabled so no interaction is needed to keep the display going.

For a noob like me who isn't at the point of riding for hours on end; it's a great, cheap way to get into it. Alternatively I was just going to use my iPhone (6) stuffed in a Jersey pocket. For $30, why not add a speed/cadence sensor to the mix and have a screen on the handlebars.

Of course; there are definitely disadvantages. The 4 has poorer battery life than the newer phones; and it definitely won't replace a dedicated bike computer. But it's darn cheap. I think the regular price was around $160. But, obviously, it's so out-dated, it's dirt cheap.

The Wahoo battery pack ($46 on Amazon right now; MSRP is $60) reviews mention several folks riding for 5+ hours and still having plenty of battery life. That's not a 17 hour bike computer; but it's enough for most rides with most people. A couple of reviewers said they got 8+ hours and were even able to complete a century.

I hadn't thought about donating the phones. Ironically, that 4 is the only old phone I have left. I tend to put them in a drawer in their original box and hang on to them; because inevitably, some family member is going to break theirs and be in need of a phone. I saw this as a perfect opportunity to get some use out of it!

Last edited by RomansFiveEight; 01-16-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:50 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I am using an iPhone as both my phone and via an app (I use cyclemeter but there are others) tracking many aspects of my cycling activities. The app is configured to automatically email me the stats following my ride (as well as on-phone and cloud storage) . I also have a bicycle computer on my two most used bicycles... as a backup to the data.

The old, cheap, little, low tech, bicycle computers give me the at-a-glance dashboard info I've become accustomed to. And the app runs quietly in it's Ziploc bag (with an ID and some cash) in my jersey pocket. So far.... battery life hasn't been a problem.... but this is my first season so I haven't fully tested that part. But I think since I am not using the screen... battery life should be fine.

I am also using my phone with apps (and hardware) to control my TV, Cable, security cameras, and home automation [lighting].

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-16-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:53 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
The iPhone 4 is also not a huge phablet on your bars either. So with the correct case and maybe some mount that puts it out in front of your handlebars or above the stem, it would actually be unobtrusive.

Just a side note, you mention how the iPhone 4 is old tech, bear in mind that the Edge 800 is over four years old and the 810 is over two years old. So my suggestion is use this setup, which by your description is a workable solution, until Garmin announces 'The Next Big Thing.'

@Dave Cutter; your description would be considered normal use for a smartphone, so battery life should never be an issue. Screen time is what sucks battery power and you phone screen is likely off within seconds after placing it in the ziplock and your jersey pocket. That said, Rom5:8 wants to actually use his phone in lieu of a cycling computer, cheap or otherwise.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 01-16-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 09:02 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

.... Just a side note, you mention how the iPhone 4 is old tech, bear in mind that the Edge 800 is over four years old and the 810 is over two years old.
I have a nice large screen GPS device that I use in the car when traveling. It's really nice to have the big screen with the 3D, and lighting options. But I also listen to the radio and talk on the phone when driving. I prefer a little less distraction when cycling. Maybe... I am just old.
Old 01-16-15, 03:22 PM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the Garmin 500 computer works perfect. It is small and provides a lot of information through 5 pages that you can scroll through at the push of a button or you can set it auto scroll. You can find the Garmin 500 for as low as 150 dollars on line. If you have a Bontrager DualTrap speed and cadence sensor it pairs right up with the Garmin computers as does the Bontrager heart monitor. As I had the DualTrap and Heart monitor from Bontrager from my Node 2 Bontrager computers all I had to do was obtain the Garmin computer and sync the sensors.

I liked the Bontrager Node 2 computers and had one for my bike and one for my wife's bike but the Garmin 500 just does more so I picked up two of them and now we are tracking more useful information that syncs with our personal computers so we have a running record of each ride now to track our progress.

We also have BlackBerry Z10 touch screen phones and have cycling apps on them but the phone apps like others above have stated just are not as easy to work with when riding as the Garmin computer solutions. With our Garmin 500 computers attached via K-Edge mounts the Garmin 500 sits out in front of the bars and just a little lower than the top of the bars and is in a perfect position to quickly glance at it without having to completely look down taking your eyes off the road.
Old 01-16-15, 03:54 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The iPhone 4 is also not a huge phablet on your bars either. So with the correct case and maybe some mount that puts it out in front of your handlebars or above the stem, it would actually be unobtrusive.

Just a side note, you mention how the iPhone 4 is old tech, bear in mind that the Edge 800 is over four years old and the 810 is over two years old. So my suggestion is use this setup, which by your description is a workable solution, until Garmin announces 'The Next Big Thing.'

@Dave Cutter; your description would be considered normal use for a smartphone, so battery life should never be an issue. Screen time is what sucks battery power and you phone screen is likely off within seconds after placing it in the ziplock and your jersey pocket. That said, Rom5:8 wants to actually use his phone in lieu of a cycling computer, cheap or otherwise.
Yeah a mount and a case. Ooh, what about one that works with an external battery pack! Oh, oh, and has ANT+ capability built in? Like, I dunno; just spit-balling here; but, maybe; you know...

...The one mentioned in the original post of this thread? The mount mentioned in the OP that's available for $29 because it's "out dated" bundled with a speed and cadence sensor that also adds ANT+ capability to the iPhone? Sort of the whole point of the whole thread?

(EDIT: Reading that back that sounds really sarcastic and mean. Don't take it that way. I'm just being a butthead. You can't convey tone over the internet. Not yet at least!)

(Just messing with ya!). And yes, smartphones seem to move at the speed of light. The reality though; there's functionally no difference in the way Strava or other apps perform or newer smartphones. Perhaps screen size or battery life; (and Bluetooth 4.0 is a nice plus but until the cycle computers adopt the ability to use BT4.0 sensors; the ANT+ sensors seem a wiser investment).

I think there was some confusion as to what this threads about though. I wasn't trying to discuss the merits of using a smartphone vs a cycle computer. It was just me noticing this on Amazon and wanting to pass it along. I know a lot of folks who use the smartphone-in-the-back-pocket as a cycle computer; or even a cheapie-wired one; who might also have an old iPhone laying around. Because it's "old tech", these mounts are being fire saled out (because they don't work with the newer phones). Heck; even if you just want a speed and cadence sensor; this BUNDLE is actually CHEAPER than the speed and cadence sensor itself. So I was just trying to pass that info along.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I have a nice large screen GPS device that I use in the car when traveling. It's really nice to have the big screen with the 3D, and lighting options. But I also listen to the radio and talk on the phone when driving. I prefer a little less distraction when cycling. Maybe... I am just old.
For me it's about fitness. I began losing weight a little over a year ago and am trying to get fit. I've been running, and cycling looks like a good 'next step' for me. Something I can really enjoy. Where a cycle computer comes in handy is measuring progress. I could just go ride until I feel tired; and there's nothing wrong with that. But for me; it's great motivation to see that, over time; I'm going farther, and faster. I've done the same thing with running.

For me the Garmin 500 computer works perfect. It is small and provides a lot of information through 5 pages that you can scroll through at the push of a button or you can set it auto scroll. You can find the Garmin 500 for as low as 150 dollars on line. If you have a Bontrager DualTrap speed and cadence sensor it pairs right up with the Garmin computers as does the Bontrager heart monitor. As I had the DualTrap and Heart monitor from Bontrager from my Node 2 Bontrager computers all I had to do was obtain the Garmin computer and sync the sensors.

I liked the Bontrager Node 2 computers and had one for my bike and one for my wife's bike but the Garmin 500 just does more so I picked up two of them and now we are tracking more useful information that syncs with our personal computers so we have a running record of each ride now to track our progress.

We also have BlackBerry Z10 touch screen phones and have cycling apps on them but the phone apps like others above have stated just are not as easy to work with when riding as the Garmin computer solutions. With our Garmin 500 computers attached via K-Edge mounts the Garmin 500 sits out in front of the bars and just a little lower than the top of the bars and is in a perfect position to quickly glance at it without having to completely look down taking your eyes off the road.
If you find a Garmin 500 complete with speed+cadence sensor for $29 new in box shipped let me know! LOL!

I love BikeForums. I've only been here a short while and it's already a favorite of mine. I know it bugs some people; but I kind of love how the folks around here are so good at tangenting off! LOL. I expect just to pass along a cheap find that might come in handy for a couple of folks and ended up with a page long thread of $500 options to replace my $29 find. I guess that's why this is an expensive hobby for so many people. HA!
Likes For RomansFiveEight:
Old 01-16-15, 04:06 PM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the only thing I can say to your last post is you pays your money and you takes your chances.

A lot of people have problems getting that kit to work so it is a 50-50 shot at it working or not.
Old 01-16-15, 04:18 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well the only thing I can say to your last post is you pays your money and you takes your chances.

A lot of people have problems getting that kit to work so it is a 50-50 shot at it working or not.
Fair enough. Although I guess I didn't see the same reviews you did. There were 68 reviews, 38 of which were 4 or 5 star. 17 were one star. Which is pretty significant. But you're saying that 34 (50%) couldn't get the device to work; which I'm not seeing. Actually I'm only seeing 2 or 3 that actually said it didn't work. The majority of the bad reviews are;

1) Heart Rate monitor not showing heart rate. This kit doesn't include the HRM, so it's moot. And likely, they aren't using gel or water anyway.
2) It doesn't work with department store bikes and certain comfort/cruiser style bikes (the speed/cadence sensor doesn't)
3) Battery life of the iPhone is poor (not this devices fault by any means; and not indicative of the device 'not working')
4) Seriously; some 1 star reviews because the apps they were using on their iPhone weren't very good.
5) It's too big to carry in your pocket (someone must've thought this was just an iPhone case?)

Honorable mention includes one guy who said it didn't fit the connector for his particular brand of earphones, and another guy said a screw came loose. So with the latter in mind; I'll throw some loc-tite on for good measure. There were a couple, granted, that had issues with ANT+ pairing.

Reading through the reviews; I'm not worried about it. But, you're right. Some people did get duds. Though almost all of the bad reviews were either operator error or just silliness (one guy complained it didn't work for his iPhone 5. You know; the clearly labeled iPhone 4/4S case.)

Actually the most common complaint was iPhone battery life.

So is it a 50-50 shot? Not really. It's more like an 8-10% chance, if the reviews are any indication (people write bad reviews more often than they take the time to write good reviews) that at some point it will break. But; even though there are a little over a dozen bad reviews and it just just shy of 4 stars overall; not a full 5 stars; the reality is most of those reviews have almost nothing to do with the actual mount/case.

BUT; it should be taken into consideration. Even $29 in money that could be spent elsewhere; especially if you were under the impression that you could go all day with something like that. Frankly; I never would've paid full price for this. I don't keep phones long enough to justify a $200 mount for one. I'd MUCH rather just pony up for the garmin. But for $29? Sure; why not. And I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else was interested.

It actually should be here some time today (probably not before I leave though).
Old 01-16-15, 04:26 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight
Yeah a mount and a case. Ooh, what about one that works with an external battery pack! Oh, oh, and has ANT+ capability built in? Like, I dunno; just spit-balling here; but, maybe; you know...

...The one mentioned in the original post of this thread? The mount mentioned in the OP that's available for $29 because it's "out dated" bundled with a speed and cadence sensor that also adds ANT+ capability to the iPhone? Sort of the whole point of the whole thread?

(EDIT: Reading that back that sounds really sarcastic and mean. Don't take it that way. I'm just being a butthead. You can't convey tone over the internet. Not yet at least!)

(Just messing with ya!). And yes, smartphones seem to move at the speed of light. The reality though; there's functionally no difference in the way Strava or other apps perform or newer smartphones. Perhaps screen size or battery life; (and Bluetooth 4.0 is a nice plus but until the cycle computers adopt the ability to use BT4.0 sensors; the ANT+ sensors seem a wiser investment).

I think there was some confusion as to what this threads about though. I wasn't trying to discuss the merits of using a smartphone vs a cycle computer. It was just me noticing this on Amazon and wanting to pass it along. I know a lot of folks who use the smartphone-in-the-back-pocket as a cycle computer; or even a cheapie-wired one; who might also have an old iPhone laying around. Because it's "old tech", these mounts are being fire saled out (because they don't work with the newer phones). Heck; even if you just want a speed and cadence sensor; this BUNDLE is actually CHEAPER than the speed and cadence sensor itself. So I was just trying to pass that info along.

For me it's about fitness. I began losing weight a little over a year ago and am trying to get fit. I've been running, and cycling looks like a good 'next step' for me. Something I can really enjoy. Where a cycle computer comes in handy is measuring progress. I could just go ride until I feel tired; and there's nothing wrong with that. But for me; it's great motivation to see that, over time; I'm going farther, and faster. I've done the same thing with running.

If you find a Garmin 500 complete with speed+cadence sensor for $29 new in box shipped let me know! LOL!

I love BikeForums. I've only been here a short while and it's already a favorite of mine. I know it bugs some people; but I kind of love how the folks around here are so good at tangenting off! LOL. I expect just to pass along a cheap find that might come in handy for a couple of folks and ended up with a page long thread of $500 options to replace my $29 find. I guess that's why this is an expensive hobby for so many people. HA!
I picked up a couple of blackbourn bike computers ~ with speed and cadence! ~ for $13 ea on closeout from Nashbar. And Minnesota gives out nav systems for FREE! I believe the system is called the “State Highway Map“.
Old 01-16-15, 04:31 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
I picked up a couple of blackbourn bikree computers ~ with speed and cadence! ~ for $13 ea on closeout from Nashbar. And Minnesota gives out nav systems for FREE! I believe the system is called the “State Highway Map“.
Very cool!

I like to track my rides. Honestly, I don't even need or care for the speed and cadence THAT much; for any other reason other than logging it and viewing progress over time. That's what a bike computer does for me. As I get fitter I can see progress over time. That was a BIG motivator for me running and I'm sure it will be for me cycling as well. (And that can all be done from a Jersey pocket, too. For that matter.)

As for the navigation; hey, I got pretty good at maps when I started riding motorcycles! Motorcycle specific (i.e.; weatherproof) navigation systems cost a fortune mounting my phone to the handlebars made me nervous (what's different this time is that I'm not going nearly as fast and it's an old phone. Hence I never considered mounting my CURRENT phone). A map in a vest pocket folded to the right 'section', and re-folded when necessary, is a great way to get around!

But I'm not nearly in shape enough for a cross country bicycle trip. The navigation is the least important feature but if I've got it, I'll use it. A good way to plan routes and navigate through residential neighborhoods instead of the main thoroughfare; more this newbies speed. And there's also strava segments and other fun motivators that can be done with navigation. Even if you're not looking at the map, though, the GPS functionality is important for tracking rides. And that IS important to me.
Old 01-16-15, 05:26 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Very cool!

I like to track my rides. Honestly, I don't even need or care for the speed and cadence THAT much; for any other reason other than logging it and viewing progress over time. That's what a bike computer does for me. As I get fitter I can see progress over time. That was a BIG motivator for me running and I'm sure it will be for me cycling as well. (And that can all be done from a Jersey pocket, too. For that matter.)

As for the navigation; hey, I got pretty good at maps when I started riding motorcycles! Motorcycle specific (i.e.; weatherproof) navigation systems cost a fortune mounting my phone to the handlebars made me nervous (what's different this time is that I'm not going nearly as fast and it's an old phone. Hence I never considered mounting my CURRENT phone). A map in a vest pocket folded to the right 'section', and re-folded when necessary, is a great way to get around!

But I'm not nearly in shape enough for a cross country bicycle trip. The navigation is the least important feature but if I've got it, I'll use it. A good way to plan routes and navigate through residential neighborhoods instead of the main thoroughfare; more this newbies speed. And there's also strava segments and other fun motivators that can be done with navigation. Even if you're not looking at the map, though, the GPS functionality is important for tracking rides. And that IS important to me.
Ok, you've got me on functionality. But I'll give anyone a run for their money when it comes to being cheap!
Old 01-16-15, 09:11 PM
Dave Cutter

...... For me it's about fitness. I began losing weight a little over a year ago and am trying to get fit. I've been running, and cycling looks like a good 'next step' for me. Something I can really enjoy. Where a cycle computer comes in handy is measuring progress. I could just go ride until I feel tired; and there's nothing wrong with that. But for me; it's great motivation to see that, over time; I'm going farther, and faster. I've done the same thing with running.
I can relate to all that.

I struggle with my weight... the diet and exercise is with me forever. I jog a little and walk a lot. I do some weight training and calisthenics. I am a solid 2000 mile a year cyclist and I keep good records. But I don't really consider bicycling as exercise anymore than I think of coffee as a diet drink. I drink coffee for the buzz.... and I bicycle for the thrill and joy of it.
Old 01-16-15, 11:27 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I can relate to all that.

I struggle with my weight... the diet and exercise is with me forever. I jog a little and walk a lot. I do some weight training and calisthenics. I am a solid 2000 mile a year cyclist and I keep good records. But I don't really consider bicycling as exercise anymore than I think of coffee as a diet drink. I drink coffee for the buzz.... and I bicycle for the thrill and joy of it.
That's sort of what is attracting me to cycling. I think I can do both. I think I can have a relaxing great day outside on the bike; enjoying the day and being active. And I think I can also do a 30 minute interval workout on a bike and have some real gains. Either way, the kind of nerd I am really really wants my rides recorded. And so I'm definitely an easy sell for a bike computer.

It's no different than me doing a 30 minute HIIT workout on a treadmill (two sets separated by a 4 minute power walk in the middle); then running a couple of miles another day, and maybe another day doing a morning run for fitness but in the evening going for a long walk or a hike to enjoy myself but not necessarily hoping to get a workout. But I do try to do more things that keep me active; and less things that keep me in front of the TV. I actually lost the first 80 pounds or so just eating right; and I don't think I'd have any difficulty maintaining my 1-2lbs/week weight loss. But I've realized I want more than just to not be overweight; I also want to be fit and have energy and not get winded doing pretty basic things. I'm really looking forward to putting some serious miles on two wheels! (Well; with pedals. I put 10~15k/yr on my Motorcycle)
Old 01-17-15, 09:18 AM
Dave Cutter

........ I've realized I want more than just to not be overweight; I also want to be fit and have energy and not get winded doing pretty basic things......
A brother of a different mother. Bicycling is one of the things I need to be fit for. Cycling is what I do for fun, to pass the time, to connect to/with other humans. Cycling is now.... what drives me to be fitter, leaner, and in better condition.
Old 04-29-16, 08:27 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
So Wahoo sells and, evidently, has lots of leftover iPhone 4/4S compatible bike mount cases. Weatherproof, and includes internal ANT+ connectivity. Also compatible with their extended battery pack. And since it's got a microUSB port, it's compatible with other chargers and battery packs as well.

Amazon Link:
Amazon.com: Wahoo Fitness Bike Pack for iPhone: Sports & Outdoors
I just found this thread. I love the idea of resurrecting my unused iPhone 4. I have a good speed/time/distance computer (cheap wired Sigma that works great), but want cadence (and speed/distance when on the trainer, which I don't get now with the front wheel sensor on the computer). And maybe I'll add heart rate later with a band sensor. I'm a cheapskate, so this seems like a great solution! Since my iPhone 4 is completely wiped clean (I was going to sell it) and deactivated, will I have any problem loading it with the apps necessary to make this system work? RomansFiveEight, are you still using yours, and do you still recommend it? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-19, 05:32 PM
CoolCat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So bumping this thread as I also came across this kit for basically free at a DIY bike shop, and wanted to see if the sensors would be useful with an old Garmin GPS watch that I could make into a computer (they do!)

But, out of curiosity, I also had an old iPhone4 given to me which seemed like it would be a far more adaptable computer if I say wanted to add a power meter in the future, so tried to hook it up.

The problem seems to be that the iphone 4 is so old, none of the apps will work on it's OS. Is there any sort of workaround? My knowledge of Apple stuff is limited.
Old 12-16-19, 05:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by CoolCat
So bumping this thread as I also came across this kit for basically free at a DIY bike shop, and wanted to see if the sensors would be useful with an old Garmin GPS watch that I could make into a computer (they do!)

But, out of curiosity, I also had an old iPhone4 given to me which seemed like it would be a far more adaptable computer if I say wanted to add a power meter in the future, so tried to hook it up.

The problem seems to be that the iphone 4 is so old, none of the apps will work on it's OS. Is there any sort of workaround? My knowledge of Apple stuff is limited.
There is kind of a goofy way to get the last app compatible with an old iOS version. Go to the app store on a web-browser of some other interface that isn;t the phone, purchase/get the required app, then open the App store on the iphone, and try to download it. It should then offer to allow you to download the most recent compatible app instead.

It might be the iphone 4 is so old that this won't work, but I have the SE and it runs the latest OS, so who knows?
Old 12-17-19, 07:32 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
SE has the guts of iP6S so it's still "current" on iOS13... whereas iP6 & iP5S are now superannuated this year, maxed out on iOS12.

iP4 goes way back to iOS 7.1.2; iTunes servers have largely stopped offering old versions for 32-bit as everything current is 64-bit only. You are still able to reload old versions if your iTunes has kept a local copy but you'd need to have bought the app back when.

There's also jailbreaking if you're into that kinda thing.
Old 12-17-19, 02:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Jailbreaking and using old versions of iOS end up using a lot of time and could cause frustrations. I'm not saying don't do it, but do it only if you have ample time and patience. It's a big time/money tradeoff.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-19, 08:00 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Jailbreaking and using old versions of iOS end up using a lot of time and could cause frustrations. I'm not saying don't do it, but do it only if you have ample time and patience. It's a big time/money tradeoff.
yep, plus don't forget the iP4 is pretty dead slow... even the iP4S is pretty sluggish used to have both on my desk doing deskclock duty, but even those have since been upgraded to a iP6 and iP5S this year.

I keep eyeing the multitudes of brand new Android handsets sold at supermarkets for RRP $69-99, frequently discounted to $35-50ish. Surely those must be better than an 8yo iPhone... no idea what bike apps will run on those though.
Old 12-18-19, 11:01 AM
CoolCat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, generally the feeling is "sorry, out of luck"? Jail breaking might be beyond my skill set not, given that downloading itunes, and resetting a phone that hadn't seen a power up in years just about taxed it to the end. I did come across the idea of download to a computer, then get an old version to your phone, but unfortunately you can't dl apps to newer versions of itunes to a computer, and older ones which I tried kept on resulting in errors. I take it there is no simply way to sideload like you would for android by just downloading an APK and using airdroid or something?

It's just a bit of a shame since these kits retailed for like $200 after tax if the sticker is to be believed, solves a great problem (many phone don't carry ANT+) while another friend had one with an intergrated battery case as well, but now it seems like aside from the sensors, it's largely useless. Perhaps that's why they were donated to our shop in the first place...

Anyways, I'm an amateur in every sense, and certainly not willing to spend actual money on this, stats are largely for a personal curiosity, and a wired spedometer works fine for what I need it. If however, I could get a full colour display with maps and multiple input for under $10, well I'd probably be game.

While this may be getting side railed, does anyone know why OS 7 is so slow and unacceptable? I mean it seems like this is around the bottom when it comes to computing. Why was it fine 7 years ago, but problematic now, given that none of the inputs or outputs have changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.