Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

See-through bike shorts :-0

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

See-through bike shorts :-0

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 11:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
My training partner 40 years ago had her favorite wool shorts with several growing holes at the edges of the chamois. Fun riding behind her. Sadly, she spent much more time seeing my sorry hind than I hers. We did a reunion ride a couple of years ago. She commented on those old shorts.

Ben
Old 03-22-18, 11:28 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
So, you just need to make a sign.

If you can see my butt crack, you're following too close.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-22-18, 11:44 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bomb Komodo
People actually dry their cycling clothes in a dryer?
The stuff that I want to expedite the wearing out of, so I have to replace it, yes. I've told myself I won't spend money on new until the old are no longer serviceable. I should be so thrifty with the bikes themselves.
Old 03-22-18, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Please do not post the pics of the women’s Columbian team or the Polish Postal team.

Thank you.
Thank you for the googling tips.

Old 03-22-18, 12:39 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomb Komodo
People actually dry their cycling clothes in a dryer?
Inorite? I wash all bike clothes in cold water, then hang them up to dry. I haven't had any of my shorts lose opacity.
Old 03-22-18, 12:57 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview
Yesterday I was on a ride with my club. After our coffee stop, two of my fellow riders quietly approached me and said that when the sun was behind us, "We could clearly see your butt crack."

Obviously, I was mortified. I was also glad they told me, as I would have not known otherwise. Now, my bibs are very high quality--Louis Garneau--although they are a few years old, so I figured it's time to go shopping for new bibs. But then I also got to thinking that, given the nature of Lycra and the sheerness of the material, wouldn't even brand new shorts or bibs be translucent given the right lighting conditions i.e. the sun directly behind you?
Size counts. The more they have to stretch, the thinner they will be.
Old 03-22-18, 01:03 PM
Elvir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two occurrences.

1. I sat behind a guy with shorts so stretched, not only could you see his cheeks, but he was sweating so badly that you can see the sweat spot. Imagine putting a naked cheek on a window that kind of thing.

2. I sat behind a girl with similar issue and I was trying not to watch...too much, when a next to me rider out loud says nice view to me, upon which the girl turned around and I said I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. haha
Old 03-22-18, 02:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So, you just need to make a sign.

If you can see my butt crack, you're following too close.

I don't know about all these men who pay attention to other men's butts. They clearly are not riding hard enough.

If they were they would be paying attention to hand signals from the guy on point, glancing behind to see if the shift they just heard is someone getting ready to jump and checking their HRM to make sure they can take the next pull without embarrassing themselves. Anything else is a blur.

When I ride all I can see is the tunnel.

-Tim-
Old 03-22-18, 02:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually hand wash my cycling kit but occasionally use the nearby laundromat. It has very good machines with delicate cycles for both washers and dryers. The washers in particular are probably more gentle than my handwashing technique. They only rotate very slowly every few seconds, mostly just sloshing around gently.

The dryers on delicate are just barely warm and mostly work by circulating the clothes gently. Takes less than 10 minutes in the largest dryers when not overfilled. And I don't always remember to bring my mesh laundry bags. So far, so good.
Old 03-22-18, 02:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know about all these men who pay attention to other men's butts. They clearly are not riding hard enough.

If they were they would be paying attention to hand signals from the guy on point, glancing behind to see if the shift they just heard is someone getting ready to jump and checking their HRM to make sure they can take the next pull without embarrassing themselves. Anything else is a blur.

When I ride all I can see is the tunnel.

-Tim-
When I raced, I focused my eyes on either the rider ahead's shorts or backside (depending mostly on how tall they were). I made it a point not to get focused on any place ahead, other than to scope out the race matters. Reason? Quite simple. I wanted to be fully aware of my peripheral vision because it was that and my reflexes that were doing to save my ***. Was I needing to doge that pothole the wheel in front just missed? The rider going down on my right? That waterbottle from the left?

I rode through several crashes the I apparently "saw" though I never "looked".

Edit: men's butts had zero attraction for me, so having my eyes locked there made paying attention to everything else easy.

Ben
Old 03-22-18, 03:07 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I rode with my ex-boss last year and he had the same issue. He had black rapha bibs on.
Old 03-22-18, 03:25 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
My wife told me a story about a few years ago when she rode with some ladies from the club. The one lady stood up on a climb. The woman didn't know she had a large tear...there. Check those shorts, often folks !!!
It tore all the way through the seat pad and the rider didn't notice?
Old 03-22-18, 05:03 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
No. It tore just above the pad. (Small hole but you saw way to much at the right angle.)
Old 03-22-18, 05:46 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview
Yesterday I was on a ride with my club. After our coffee stop, two of my fellow riders quietly approached me and said that when the sun was behind us, "We could clearly see your butt crack."

Obviously, I was mortified. I was also glad they told me, as I would have not known otherwise. Now, my bibs are very high quality--Louis Garneau--although they are a few years old, so I figured it's time to go shopping for new bibs. But then I also got to thinking that, given the nature of Lycra and the sheerness of the material, wouldn't even brand new shorts or bibs be translucent given the right lighting conditions i.e. the sun directly behind you?
They wear out. when they wear out the riders behind you can see more and more of you.

My employee was given a set of used Assos bibs that were awesome but he rode them daily for everything and did a lot of riding. They got so threadbare that our pactimo rep who is also on our team basically offered to buy him a new pair of bibs. Win-Win

Old 03-26-18, 03:17 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Oh, and please don't post any videos of Crystal and Lovitz doing I hate it when that happens!

They've all been topped now.
Old 03-26-18, 04:40 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Black only...be careful not to fill within 25% of burst pressure.