Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes Everywhere

Old 07-28-20, 08:19 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Bikes Everywhere

Over the last month or so, I'm suddenly seeing bikes everywhere. I can only hope that as people rediscover how much fun and engaging it is to ride a bike as well as how useful bikes are for quick trips around town, that bike use will continue, if and when we get back to something approaching normal.
Likes For berner:
Old 07-28-20, 08:31 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Over the last month or so, I'm suddenly seeing bikes everywhere. I can only hope that as people rediscover how much fun and engaging it is to ride a bike as well as how useful bikes are for quick trips around town, that bike use will continue, if and when we get back to something approaching normal.
Yes for sure, I've seen a visible increase where I live as well. It's also been reported / highlighted how bike trips have become an alternative to public transpo in urban centers, amidst concerns of contagion. Some cities (mostly European I think) have even altered traffic patterns to encourage and accommodate more biking. Like you, I hope the increase sticks for all the reasons you note.
Old 07-28-20, 08:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Probably one of the few good things that may come out of this virus thing.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-28-20, 09:26 AM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
With an increase of cyclist this summer, some of the more popular routes have been prioritized for bike and foot traffic.
I definitely see more bikes than cars on these temporary designated routes.

Old 07-28-20, 09:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
With an increase of cyclist this summer, some of the more popular routes have been prioritized for bike and foot traffic.
I definitely see more bikes than cars on these temporary designated routes.
There is a pleasant, four lane highway along the river here in Philly that is normally closed to cars between 7 and 5 on weekends April through October. Months ago the city shut it to cars 24/7. It now gets more bike and ped use than before.
Old 07-28-20, 10:58 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
As much as bicycling is popular & is good to use for short commuting, the practicality of securing the bicycle is cumbersome. At least for out of sight safety, i wouldn't leave my bicycle in such a vulnerable state.
Old 07-28-20, 11:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
The FL summer heat has put a damper on some of the Covid cycling crowd. I'll be interested to see if they come back out in force when fall gets here.
Old 07-28-20, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Troul
As much as bicycling is popular & is good to use for short commuting, the practicality of securing the bicycle is cumbersome. At least for out of sight safety, i wouldn't leave my bicycle in such a vulnerable state.
I’ve been locking bikes on the streets of Philadelphia for decades. Most I ever lost was a QR seat post mechanism and a saddle bag that I forgot to bring in the office with me. Use a good lock and cable, park in high foot traffic areas and don’t leave it out over night.

The only place I had a bike stolen was from inside my house, while I was home and awake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-20, 12:25 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Here in south-coastal Delaware, a beach resort area, there are significantly fewer visitors this year, due to the CV-19 crisis,. Traffic backups have been very few and short. I am seeing very low numbers of bicyclists, runners, and walkers. Restaurants are still under restrictions and many businesses are really suffering. Groceries stores are very busy and many items are gone soon after they arrive, some items having been out for a while now. Bike shops were extremely busy and sold out of most bikes and a lot of other items. I have not been in one for the past month or so, but I am guessing they are still busy with repairs.

I sure like the low volume of traffic in all respects. I feel for those that are having a hard time keeping their businesses functioning, or are out of work completely. It is going to be a hard off season for many.
Old 07-28-20, 12:30 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is a pleasant, four lane highway along the river here in Philly that is normally closed to cars between 7 and 5 on weekends April through October. Months ago the city shut it to cars 24/7. It now gets more bike and ped use than before.
Funny. A work colleague and I were just discussing that very road last night on the phone; he's gone to much more road biking over running since he can get out of town on it without traffic and crowded MUPs.
Old 07-28-20, 02:23 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve been locking bikes on the streets of Philadelphia for decades. Most I ever lost was a QR seat post mechanism and a saddle bag that I forgot to bring in the office with me. Use a good lock and cable, park in high foot traffic areas and don’t leave it out over night.

The only place I had a bike stolen was from inside my house, while I was home and awake.
Stolen out of my living area & from the bicycle parking area. Location, Location, Location.
Old 07-28-20, 02:38 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I haven't really seen an increase here. In the first few weeks of working from home there was a small number of folks who had obviously brushed the dust off an old bike in the garage and taken it out for a spin. But it doesn't seem like most of those folks ever took a second ride. We quickly went back to the normal number of regular riders.
Old 07-28-20, 02:41 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jon c.
I haven't really seen an increase here. In the first few weeks of working from home there was a small number of folks who had obviously brushed the dust off an old bike in the garage and taken it out for a spin. But it doesn't seem like most of those folks ever took a second ride. We quickly went back to the normal number of regular riders.
they might all found out that rubber dry rots.
Old 07-28-20, 05:20 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've seen a few more bikes about this year, especially in our local neighborhood. But I've really done A LOT more bike repairs for family, friends and coworkers the past few months. They get a great deal and I enjoy doing it.
Old 07-28-20, 08:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Fernandina Beach Florida

It's been so damn hot the last few weeks down here in North FL that you got to get out and start riding by 8:00AM. By noon it's so hot you're vulnerable to pass out and suffer from heat stroke. But, there's at least double or triple the number of bicyclist out and about than usual. .................(And, the bike shops & retail outlets are all sold out of bikes too).

My vintage bike sales have been doing well the last few months. I've sold 5 completely refurbished vintage bikes and, 4 bikes that I did light maintenance & repair on over the last four months. Now, I'm running out of bikes to sell. So, I'm hunting for more. But, it's not that easy to find the kind of bikes I like. Oh well. Be good. Have fun.

Last edited by ramzilla; 08-03-20 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 09:11 PM
Road bikie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Me and my missus go by bike everywhere including shops lol.
Likes For Road bikie:
Old 07-28-20, 09:11 PM
Road bikie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's been endless fun i wish i bought a bike years ago.
Likes For Road bikie:
Old 07-28-20, 09:41 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Been in Jeff Parish ('rona capital of LA) for quite some time now helping my 95 yr old dad. No increase in cycling at all. But WSJ did have an article yesterday about adults having to learn how to cycle at that age.

scott s.
Old 07-29-20, 03:20 AM
bookthug85

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berner
Our local council in Melbourne installed a daily counter recently, I'm guessing to urge people on! Bikes everywhere indeed!
Old 07-29-20, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Troul
Stolen out of my living area & from the bicycle parking area. Location, Location, Location.
You don't think somewhere like Philly is a bike thief's wet dream?

One afternoon I locked my LHT with close to $450 worth of racks on it outside an indoor farm market. Used my Krytptonite and thick cable. As I was doing so, a young woman right next to me was locking up her older Trek road bike with a flimsy chain and combination lock. She went inside the market. I walked to the far corner to buy a paper. As I was walking back to the market I saw some tweaker looking guy speeding away on the woman's bike. He had a small duffel bag over his shoulder, which probably contained his bolt cutters. No doubt he had been casing the place because of the numer of people who ride there and shot the fish in the barrel while leaving my ride alone. I found the woman in the market and told her what I had seen. She said "Oh well. I didn't feel like brining my good lock."

One day a security person who works in my building told me about the bike parking area in the underground garage. It's just a rack in the corner. No thanks. I know a woman who had her bike stolen from just such a place despite a sign saying their was video surveillance. (There was not.) I would much rather lock up outside the building. Hundreds of people walk buy every few minutes, in part because there is a c-store right there. And cops will occasionally stop for donuts.
Old 07-30-20, 07:14 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Bikes in yer grocery aisles.

Old 07-31-20, 07:23 PM
Troul 

Folks would have a hits sfits if someone were to do that. Someone scolded a man wearing oxygen for not having a "mask" on.
Old 07-31-20, 07:55 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I live in a rural area, I haven't seen a single biker, walker, runner while riding myself in 3 months. I usually drive a bit to more populated areas do day longs but I've stayed local since covid.
Old 07-31-20, 08:30 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Tons of people out riding on the paths and trails around Chicago. I've lived here for many years and I have never seen so many.
Old 07-31-20, 11:12 PM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes there must be an increase by the simple fact that where I live (Chicagoland area) You go into a Target, Meijer, or Wal Mart and they have no bikes! None!!! Hardly any accessories either.
I took a rim a few weeks back to the LBS in Joliet. This shop has been in business for a hundred years. He has 4 bikes on the showroom floor with just empty racks everywhere including accessories.
I have seen a big increase on the trail. Huge increase of traffic to the point I avoid the trail and fortuntely I have semi rural roads if I head south to ride.
It is good there seems to be a bike boom again and everyone who has a bike on a garage hook is now out riding. This is a good thing for the bike industry...
Max Bryant

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.