Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tannus Armour inserts or tire?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 02:10 PM
Davespix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Has anyone got experience or thoughts on the Tannus Armour inserts or airless tires for a road bike? I am getting a flat per month and it’s getting tiring 🤣.
Old 12-08-20, 02:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Davespix
Has anyone got experience or thoughts on the Tannus Armour inserts or airless tires for a road bike? I am getting a flat per month and it’s getting tiring 🤣.
Flats from what? Unless they're large punctures (<1/4"), this is exactly the scenario where tubeless shines.
Old 12-08-20, 02:35 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What's causing the flats? If pinhole punctures, go tubeless. If rim tape, fix your rim tape. If pinches, run higher pressure and/or stop slamming into potholes.
Old 12-08-20, 04:47 PM
Davespix

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Small sharp glass, sharp pin sized metal, no big hazards. So tubeless is the way to go?
Old 12-08-20, 06:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Davespix
Small sharp glass, sharp pin sized metal, no big hazards. So tubeless is the way to go?
Yup.

Your wheels/rims need to be compatible, though, so hopefully they are already.

In terms of sealant, don't use Stan's. Use Orange Seal or something similar that's suitable at road bike tire pressures.

If you're going to do the work yourself, just be aware that it may be difficult early on - there is a learning curve - but it will get easier.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-20, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What tires are you having the flats with? I used to run some tires that would pick up glass, rock shards and other things in the tread and they'd stay there but not so bad that they immediately punctured the tube. Before each ride, I'd inspect the tires and remove all those potential flats. I'd go months to over a year without flatting. Times that I didn't inspect them for a few rides resulted in flatting.

Changing to a different tire eliminated those things sticking into the tread and I no longer even inspect my tires for shards before riding. Vittoria Rubino Pro's of a version no longer made and my current Continental GP 5000's don't pick up shards like other tires I've owned way back when did. And I still go a year or more without flatting. Though when I do get a flat, it means at least two more will happen in quick succession no matter where I ride.

But yes tubeless might be the thing for you. Either way, you have to try something different than what you are doing now.
Old 12-09-20, 10:37 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
My daughter was getting all kinds of flats in LA at the time when tubes were hard to get. She put a set of tannus tires on her old steel Schwinn and loves them. If your bike is your only means of transportation and you commute in the city they can be a good thing.
sometimes dependability and durability outweigh performance.
Old 12-09-20, 10:52 AM
Davespix

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
In September I got a new set of Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires 700 x 32mm. I live in a semi rural area and don’t think there is a street sweeper in the entire county so stuff just stays in the bike lanes.
Old 12-11-20, 12:33 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup.

Your wheels/rims need to be compatible, though, so hopefully they are already.

In terms of sealant, don't use Stan's. Use Orange Seal or something similar that's suitable at road bike tire pressures.

If you're going to do the work yourself, just be aware that it may be difficult early on - there is a learning curve - but it will get easier.
The sealant point is especially poignant for me; I struggled with tubeless basically just coating my frame in latex every time I hit a goatshead because I was using Stan's.

Orange Seal appears much more resilient, though anyone who is sealing a 1/4" puncture with sealant ... I want to know how.
Likes For expatbrit:
Old 12-11-20, 12:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by expatbrit
The sealant point is especially poignant for me; I struggled with tubeless basically just coating my frame in latex every time I hit a goatshead because I was using Stan's.

Orange Seal appears much more resilient, though anyone who is sealing a 1/4" puncture with sealant ... I want to know how.
1/4" has been the break point for me - they'll typically seal but are prone to breaking back open if/when you hit a bump/crack/seam just right.