Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Genesis 'GOHE' mystery bike. Is it possible? - a $300 Aluminum Gravel Bike with STIs

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Genesis 'GOHE' mystery bike. Is it possible? - a $300 Aluminum Gravel Bike with STIs

Old 03-24-21, 09:13 AM
mikehuangsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts

tldr;

Today I spotted a $300 gravel bike that checks all the boxes (cheap, aluminum, 700c, STI shifters, nice color).

I want one, but can't find any info about it online - doesn't seem to exist.

Last edited by mikehuangsd; 03-24-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 01:47 PM
mikehuangsd

also, I called Kent/Genesis - the customer service guy was unable to confirm that this is one of theirs. and of course Google is coming up blank.
Old 03-24-21, 02:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Well, whatever it is, I can only imagine all the corners that were cut to bring a disc-brake, STI-equipped gravel bike to market at a Wal-Mart price. That crankset is hot garbage. Melt it all down and turn it into something useful, like a beer can.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-24-21, 03:10 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by Rolla
Well, whatever it is, I can only imagine all the corners that were cut to bring a disc-brake, STI-equipped gravel bike to market at a Wal-Mart price. That crankset is hot garbage. Melt it all down and turn it into something useful, like a beer can.
meh - Those big-box store cranksets work fine -
Old 03-24-21, 03:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Landfill.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-24-21, 06:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehuangsd
meh - Those big-box store cranksets work fine -
Confirmed! You should be very happy on it. I hope you can find one available with all of these shortages...
Old 03-25-21, 06:04 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Are those really Shimano levers? They don't look like it to me.
Old 03-25-21, 06:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
So this is a super entry level bike that even the brand which sells it doesnt think exists, but you want one? That all just screams chaos, poor design, and poor material use to me...which isnt appealing.
Also, that shift lever is not an STI model that I recognize. Tourney STI has cables existing the shifter's side and the shape is different from Claris and Sora.
The shifter shape doesnt match Shimano's lower few offerings, SRAM, Microshift, or Sensah. No idea what it is, but it isnt STI.
Old 03-25-21, 09:49 AM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Are those really Shimano levers? They don't look like it to me.
nope - not Shimano - when I said 'STI' I just meant an integrated brake/shift lever. It's a 3 x 7 drivetrain, with definitely all cables properly running under the tape, so it's a brand I've not seen before. Seller says he sold it, and thus can't tell me what the shifters are (that's actually the biggest mystery of the bike and something I'd be interested in for my next build).

y'all be knockin' this mega cheap bike, but any bike enthusiast can get even Walmart-level bikes nicely tuned and running smoothly (usually), and at $300, you can swap out/upgrade any of the parts to your heart's content without feeling bad about it.
Old 03-25-21, 09:53 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I like how it says for riders 5'4" - 6'2"!
Old 03-25-21, 10:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

y'all be knockin' this mega cheap bike, but any bike enthusiast can get even Walmart-level bikes nicely tuned and running smoothly (usually), and at $300, you can swap out/upgrade any of the parts to your heart's content without feeling bad about it.
The brand doesnt even have record of their own model- it seems reasonable to make fun of that.
As for upgrading- Swapping parts out would just net a bike that would cost as much as a bike shop entry gravel bike, but with this Genesis frame and fork. That doesnt seem appealing.

There is a market for this I am sure, but its probably not a high % of forum users.
Old 03-25-21, 11:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Today I spotted a $300 gravel bike that checks all the boxes

Curious where you "spotted" this fine bike. Someone riding it around with tags on it?
Old 03-25-21, 11:48 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Probably a better deal to get a Poseidon X or Redwood
Old 03-25-21, 11:49 AM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Curious where you "spotted" this fine bike. Someone riding it around with tags on it?
seen on OfferUp

There's a guy here in San Diego who regularly posts brand new Walmart-level bikes with tags, even when they are out-of-stock everywhere online. I guess he knows somebody at Walmart or Kent or something and is capitalizing on the global cheap bike shortage.

I asked him where he gets these bikes and he just responded 'direct' and I asked him specifically what the shifters say, and he responded that he didn't know cuz he already sold it.

Last edited by mikehuangsd; 03-25-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 11:50 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If OP can get a high res pic, he can try to scan the UPC code on the wheel disc and see what comes up.
Old 03-25-21, 12:00 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Garbage bike for most of us snobs. But if you're in a pinch and absolutely cannot wait or get one soon, DONT get it. $300 is too much.
Old 03-28-21, 08:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
There used to be a number of people on here that defended the Denali, which in my experience was a really horrible bike to build from the box and scared me when I test rode it. So maybe it will work out for the OP. OTOH, once those shifters break, which seems likely, it's not going to be economic to fix.
Old 04-20-21, 02:23 PM
mikehuangsd

just an update, it's apparently called the 'BOHE' not 'GOHE'

it DOES have STI-style shifters (of some kind, the ones shown differ between the two pics)

it's got a cheapo 3x crank

it's $249, not $299

It's available

and dizamm I'm getting one even though i already have 2 gravel bikes, cuz gosh darnit that is one PRETTY bike, and really an insane value, especially since gravel bikes are the current hotness

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-Gene...Blue/165760666

Old 04-20-21, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

just an update, it's apparently called the 'BOHE' not 'GOHE'
those are microshift shifters, or one of the knockoff versions of microshift shifters(there are a couple, the more popular being 'micronew').
i cant imagine buying a bike from a company that doesnt even know they have that model bike in their lineup, but more power to you for giving it a go.

1 bottle cage mount?...havent seen that since early 80s frames. You can call it a retro gravel frame, I guess.
Old 04-20-21, 02:42 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by unterhausen
There used to be a number of people on here that defended the Denali, which in my experience was a really horrible bike to build from the box and scared me when I test rode it..
I would argue that the Denali was still just a road-bike-shaped-object, being that it had twist shifters, and came with slow beefy hybrid-like tires, and was pretty heavy. As such, it still wasn't quite a 'real' road bike,

whereas this BOHE thing really does meet all the requirements to qualify as a real 'gravel bike' and is not just a gravel-bike-shaped-object. But I don't own it yet - maybe the frame really will turn out to be super heavy crap or something (although the welds look very neat in the photos).
Old 04-20-21, 02:47 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

1 bottle cage mount?...havent seen that since early 80s frames. You can call it a retro gravel frame, I guess.
OH COME ON NOW

I'm not yet defending this bike, but this is nitpicking to a level that i find to be unreasonable.
Likes For mikehuangsd:
Old 04-20-21, 04:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

OH COME ON NOW

I'm not yet defending this bike, but this is nitpicking to a level that i find to be unreasonable.
Well if you are distraught over this comment, allow me to balance it out by saying that I have that style of shifter on a bike right now and have used them on 3 other bikes too. I like the hood design and also the dedicated 2 paddle shifting with separate brake lever.

As for the 1 bottle cage- the trend over the last decade has been for more mounting spots on adventure/gravel bikes. Its become over the top and comical in some cases, but at least 2 is the bare minimum, 3 is typical, and many have 4-5.
Since multiple is the default, only seeing 1 stands out.

ETA- the shifters on the website you link are different from the shifters on the bike you initially reference.
That is...curious. <-- I don't want to offend you, so let's go with curious.
Old 04-20-21, 04:38 PM
mikehuangsd

Well if you are distraught over this comment, \...
As for the 1 bottle cage- the trend over the last decade has been for more mounting spots on adventure/gravel bikes. Its become over the top and comical in some cases, but at least 2 is the bare minimum, 3 is typical, and many have 4-5.
Since multiple is the default, only seeing 1 stands out.
FINE. THAT IS A GOOD POINT. I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS TREND.

ETA- the shifters on the website you link are different from the shifters on the bike you initially reference.
That is...curious. <-- I don't want to offend you, so let's go with curious.
I noticed this as well, and also that the product description does not specify what shifters it comes with. I suspect they have a supply/sourcing squeeze right now like most bike manufacturers, and are getting these bikes out the door with whatever comparable-level shifters they can get.
Old 04-20-21, 05:26 PM
mikehuangsd

Originally Posted by unterhausen
...once those shifters break, which seems likely, it's not going to be economic to fix.
BUT you can buy the 3-year Walmart warranty for $34!!!!

Y'all want to argue economics of a bike that is 80% as 'good' as bikes that currently cost 3x-5x as much (such as new gravel bikes coming out from Trek or Specialized or 3T etc etc) - and most recent buyers during the pandemic are FIRST TIME BIKE BUYERS ?!! You nuts if you'd pass up this deal - This really is a killer ECONOMICALLY AWESEOME deal for $249 regardless of if the levers are Microshift or Micronew or Micro****- Walmart will warranty them for 3 years for the cost of dinner (with your ***** mom).

I just get excited when I see a good value, and this is a ton of bike, with current geometry and mostly-current components, in a no-nonsense manly color sheme, backed by Walmart's ridiculously generous return policy and a $34 warranty, and you can't lose. I might buy two. One for me and one for your mom. Cuz y'all are nuts.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-20-21 at 05:54 PM. Reason: can't say ****
Old 04-20-21, 05:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
What's the warranty get you if you need maintenance? Probably nothing. I know people that have gotten parts from walmart and I was surprised how generous they were. But they won't fix those bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.