Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Finding a Helmet that works with a Vis 360 mount

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Finding a Helmet that works with a Vis 360 mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 05:19 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finding a Helmet that works with a Vis 360 mounts

Previous road helmet needs to be replaced (and it was discontinued by Giro, the Savant) as it fell, due partly to how I had it sitting on my bike (won’t have it sitting on the stem again) and the wind helped push it off with a wind gust and it fell bottom side down (and part of the plastic that connects the retention system broke, probably the weakest part on that helmet). Unfortunately, finding a replacement that fits my head and helmet light (Vis 360 Pro) is proving to be more of a challenge than I had anticipated. I do also use a helmet mirror, the EVT Safe Zone, as a helmet mirror is non-negotiable for me (could change mirrors if needed but would rather not), but appears to be easier to find helmets that which will fit such a mirror.

Does anyone have a Vis 360 Pro (or really any of the Vis 360 lights as they use the same mounting accessories) and a helmet that allows the mounts for the light to be properly attached? The main problem is mounting the rear light for any Vis 360 light. Some of these newer helmets (at least by Giro) have some differences.

Older helmets: I’ve done some reading and I can’t really find any compelling arguments for a helmet with an older manufacturing date to not be used.
Advice about helmets is centered around years it’s been used, and even that appears to be a cautious approach rather than a helmet that is truly past its usefulness. At any rate, it’s not a proven claim but I’m willing to take a chance. Either way, a newer helmet (one that is still produced) or a model that is harder to come by due to not being produced anymore, is something I’d try but would appreciate a quick couple of pictures, primarily of the rear exterior and interior, if you have such a helmet that works with the Vis helmet light.

Reference details below before asking any questions that I didn't make clear in this post.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 03-30-21 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 05:24 PM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Additional notes:

-trying to shop locally and avoid Amazon. They have
the exact model, size and color and for a rather tempting price. It’s just rather challenging because I both live in the suburbs (I was able to hit up 5 stores using a bikeshare and walking in the central city) and not in the favored quarter, where there’s more retail (and of course money).

-Rear of helmets I tried on seem to be designed differently where the retention system (straps and/or plastic part that tightens/loosens) interferes with the rear light mount straps.

-Price: prefer $200 or under (would have to be great comfort and fit if more but I don't think I'd need to go over that)

Giro replacement of Savant: Giro discontinued & replaced the Savant Mips (my broken helmet) with the Syntax, and the Syntax had more of an open circle in the rear vs. a circle bisected by a vertical shell column like most helmets. That little column shown in post below wasn't really a sturdy support but IIRC, part of the retention system. Another helmet (Bontrager Specter) fit great and was comfortable but the mount system was not compatible with helmet due to the wavecel liner.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 03-30-21 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 05:56 PM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Picture of Giro Syntax here
Old 04-08-21, 08:13 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I mount my Vis360 on a Specialized Prevail II.