Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Classy or In Your Face?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Classy or In Your Face?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 09:23 PM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Classy or In Your Face?

I crossed posted this in the Classic & Vintage Forum, see what you guys think over here...

I'm planning a vintage to fixie/SS conversion, and starting with the easy stuff first, new bar tape, stem, seat and soon after going with different brake levers, long arm brakes and for 700c wheels. I really like the look of the "bash guard" on this bike, sort of like rims on a Porsche or something.
I've been my fair share of Googling to inspiration, and I feel a little torn. I like the "classy" look, but then I also like the "in your face" boldness of coloured deep V rims.

Starting with an '85 Norco Avanti SL - graphite colour. Trying to decide to decide to black saddle, tape, and go gold wheels (for example) or go brown saddle and tape, with some white wheels. I threw a couple examples below.

Interested to see the different opinions. TIA.

Starting point

ugly brakes and bar tape

Boom, deep gold

more shiny stuff

Classy AF

also quite classy
Old 04-22-21, 12:07 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
White Vs look like crap in about a week. Just go black rims, black saddle, black tape. No gold anything.
And lose that awful bashguard -- have you no dignity?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-22-21, 04:55 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Each to his own taste, but if I had that classic looking (1980s?) frame, I'd keep it as it is, put a decent saddle and pedals on it and some traditional-looking wheels. That frame is crying out for plain aluminium rims with a shallow section.

If I had to choose from the colour options you've posted, I might go for the blue one at the bottom, but as Rolla commented, white can be difficult to keep clean.

The bike has 2 period features I'd get rid of. First, the outer guard on the chainset. Those were ugly and impractical at the time, and if the chain comes off it can jam between the cog and the guard. Second, the disc that is there to keep the rear mech out of the spokes. You don't need it for fixed/single, and if you have derailleurs, get decent ones and adjust them right.

I was never impressed by the idea of gear levers on the stem. My first few-derailleur equipped bikes had down tube-mounted friction shifters and I still prefer that to all the modern nadgery and gimmickry of clickity stop levers, for a low maintenance bike that isn't going to be raced.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-22-21, 06:47 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Both of those wheelsets look horrendous. And deep aero rims on a vintage frame just doesn't match.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 04-22-21, 09:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I agree with the above. Silver components, box section rims and black accessories. Even the original charcoal grey paint on the frame looks okay and can be preserved. You may experiment with gumwall tires if you want to harken back to the good ol' days.
Old 04-22-21, 09:22 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Here's what I did with an early 1970's French Mercier:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 04-22-21, 03:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Both of those deep section wheels are barftastic. Some deep section stuff can look good but that stuff really miss the mark for me. I would go with something like the H+Son TB14s either polished or my favorite Hard Anodized Grey which was common in the 80s. If you wanted a bit more modern go with the Archtypes and if you are really looking for deep section go with Velocity Deep Vs in polished. Tan wall tires look good but also tend to get dirtier faster but I love a good supple ride and typically a lot of those tires are a little softer if not really nice supple open tubular designs.
Old 04-23-21, 09:14 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Box rims. Always.
Old 04-23-21, 05:35 PM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

The more you look at this bike, the worst its gets.
Likes For Gods lonely man:
Old 04-23-21, 05:58 PM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Both of those wheelsets look horrendous. And deep aero rims on a vintage frame just doesn't match.
Totally agree, but....

One of the only deep section wheel sets allowed on vintage tubes hehe, op, the bikes you used as example are very cheap looking , those deep section wheels are impractical and heavy, like others have said, check out H plus son, they have good vintage looking rims with nice spec's.
Old 04-24-21, 02:58 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Gods lonely man
Totally agree, but....

One of the only deep section wheel sets allowed on vintage tubes hehe, op, the bikes you used as example are very cheap looking , those deep section wheels are impractical and heavy, like others have said, check out H plus son, they have good vintage looking rims with nice spec's.
Yeah I've seen those, I believe that's 90's era but I didn't like that look even then. I will say polished isn't too bad. But those colored rims they have now are just.... no.
Old 04-24-21, 07:25 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'd see if the existing rims are worth keeping, if they're aluminum. Like the others, I also prefer the aesthetics of the lower profile rims. It's not completely hopeless to find 27" tires. Still, I wouldn't build new wheels on 27" rims.
Old 04-24-21, 05:46 PM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Originally Posted by Gods lonely man
Totally agree, but....

I like the deep polished look. Thanks for posting
Old 04-24-21, 05:53 PM
Topless68

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'd see if the existing rims are worth keeping, if they're aluminum. Like the others, I also prefer the aesthetics of the lower profile rims. It's not completely hopeless to find 27" tires. Still, I wouldn't build new wheels on 27" rims.
There isn't a whole lot of 27" stuff out there, and what their is, is $$$. Just for ***** & giggles, i "borrowed" the no name wheels and tires from my wifes bike. They're 700c with oversized tires (don't like the tires), but it gives an idea of lower profile black wheel. I think i would prefer to go a full polished wheel on there...so the hunt continues. At least these ones aren't wobbly, with cracked tires and bad bearings. Fit right on, just had to lower the brake pads.

Old 04-24-21, 07:18 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Keep those wheels until she notices. Those would look great.
Old 04-25-21, 03:32 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
I like your idea to keep the ‘brashguard’....it does have a sort of angled-out Porsche Fuchs look to it. The cranks (and brashguard) are matte? How about tie that in with matte silver box rims and replace the crank dust cap with something in anodized deep blue.
Old 04-25-21, 05:56 PM
Topless68

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
I like your idea to keep the ‘brashguard’....it does have a sort of angled-out Porsche Fuchs look to it. The cranks (and brashguard) are matte? How about tie that in with matte silver box rims and replace the crank dust cap with something in anodized deep blue.
I discovered that the bashguard is the main frame for the chainrings, so I can't just "get rid of it" like other have suggested. No bashguard, no chainrings. Only other option would be to replace the whole crankset....maybe someday, low on the list.
I was going to try polishing the guard, and bring the shine out in the black parts.
Old 04-25-21, 07:49 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Topless68
I discovered that the bashguard is the main frame for the chainrings, so I can't just "get rid of it" like other have suggested. No bashguard, no chainrings. Only other option would be to replace the whole crankset....maybe someday, low on the list.
I was going to try polishing the guard, and bring the shine out in the black parts.
The crank/brashguard and the original paint really define the bike so I’d vote for working with those as is to get to where you want to be....but with the dark frame a fully polished brashguard and crank arms would also look sharp. Maybe leave a bit of black to define the 5 spokes of the brashguard. Poor picture below but you can kind of see how the new Fuch-copy rims leave a bit of black to define the 5 ‘spokes’.
Old 04-25-21, 09:02 PM
Redman87

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I do dig the bash guard. And who is to say you can't be both classy and in your face. I would say start off with a good wax and polish, i mean get it sparkling and see what you have. Maybe strip off what you can to clean the look up too. You brought up Porsche so use that as an idea. Classy and in your face
Likes For Redman87: