Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding without gloves - why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 06:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
Not a fan of this quote, in part because this is the logic I've heard from bike-hater: "put your bike away, it's a child's toy and you're a man" - this logic is so flawed. But not really the point of this thread either.
Old 08-27-18, 07:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm more in the camp of "why wear gloves", although I'll put them on sometimes to complete the cycling costume. That's not very often.

I'll admit that I've torn the glove fabric on a crash so it saved some skin. On the other hand I've had more crashes with no scrapes on my hands but road rash elsewhere, so if I wanted to wear something extra for protection it would logically be on my knees or elbows. Maybe hips. I just don't see the logic of skipping 3 or 4 down the list for safety equipment. But the style, I can understand.

Keeping my hands warm, even with fingerless gloves, that makes perfect sense also.
Old 08-27-18, 06:54 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Not a fan of this quote, in part because this is the logic I've heard from bike-hater: "put your bike away, it's a child's toy and you're a man" - this logic is so flawed. But not really the point of this thread either.
Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'm more in the camp of "why wear gloves", although I'll put them on sometimes to complete the cycling costume. That's not very often.

I'll admit that I've torn the glove fabric on a crash so it saved some skin. On the other hand I've had more crashes with no scrapes on my hands but road rash elsewhere, so if I wanted to wear something extra for protection it would logically be on my knees or elbows. Maybe hips. I just don't see the logic of skipping 3 or 4 down the list for safety equipment. But the style, I can understand.

Keeping my hands warm, even with fingerless gloves, that makes perfect sense also.
You will instinctively use your hands in a fall. If any extremity needed to a cover/protection it would be your hands. I have fallen, and my gloves did protect me.
Old 08-27-18, 07:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy. You will instinctively use your hands in a fall. If any extremity needed to a cover/protection it would be your hands. I have fallen, and my gloves did protect me.
Generally speaking, that's probably true. Me personally, not really. I may use my hands, but not to absorb the impact (a little bit of training in falls).

But aside from that, even for most people, I am dead serious about this. The hands are not the most vulnerable in these falls. Your knees and your elbows are the most likely to be damaged, and that damage may very possibly be more severe than skinned hands. Right after you learn not to extend your hands to the ground, you learn to keep the knees and elbows in. So the gloves as safety feature, to me, doesn't scan right.

Even riding a motorcycle, I'd have felt silly wearing gauntlets if I didn't have the leather jacket on.
Old 08-28-18, 08:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy.
An allegory can be used many ways, included that bikes are a child's toy - I've heard it many times over the years. And for the record, I'm offended by that either.

Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy. You will instinctively use your hands in a fall. If any extremity needed to a cover/protection it would be your hands. I have fallen, and my gloves did protect me.
Not true for every person. My YouTube channel is full of videos of me hitting the ground, and I can tell you that my hands stay on the bars until after I hit the ground. It's likely from years of snowboarding, you learn quickly to fall on your body (tuck & roll) not to try to catch yourself with a hand.

This is a TERRIBLY shaky video - I didn't like the GoPro wrist mount for riding - but you get a view of my hands on the bars right to the ground:
Just to be clear, you can train yourself to fall well. (afterthought - I'm wearing gloves, and I did for every ride prior to 2018)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-28-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 10:36 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
It's not cool to wear gloves in the gym either anymore.
Old 08-28-18, 04:06 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
It's not cool to wear gloves in the gym either anymore.
I used to believe that to following the bro crowd. But sporting the callused, chopped-up hands look is not attractive to anyone. Today, I wear gloves at the gym (which reminds me I need a new pair), and on my bike. I'm now happy to say I keep my hands are well manicured and callus free.
Old 08-28-18, 11:19 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I always wear gloves, they make the ride more comfortable, make it easier to wipe the sweat off my forehead, and allow me to keep the skin on my palms if I happen to get knocked off. I don't always wear a helmet, but feel naked without gloves.
Old 08-29-18, 03:02 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I always wear gloves, they make the ride more comfortable, make it easier to wipe the sweat off my forehead, and allow me to keep the skin on my palms if I happen to get knocked off. I don't always wear a helmet, but feel naked without gloves.
That nice terry cloth on the thumb. They also enhance my grip and my gel variety further cushions vibration through my joints and relives pressure points.
Old 08-29-18, 04:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I didn’t read the whole thread, but maybe this is a unique reason to wear gloves:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I recently posted to this Road Cycling thread, “Do you wear cycling gloves.”
Originally Posted by bargeon
The sox thread got me wondering.

Since some folks are bothered by the tan line at the ankle, do you not wear gloves because of the line at the wrist?
I always wear gloves, especially on sunny days to acquire a distinctive, classic cyclist’s tan. In particular I wear gloves with a crocheted back for that “reticulated” tanning pattern, with the strap line. It’s a variation of Rule #7 of the Velominati,
Tanlines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.
I was once asked if I am a golfer from that pattern, but I think golfers only wear a glove on one hand.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-29-18 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 04:35 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
This is the #1 reason I wear fingerless gloves in warm weather = a helmet for my hands. One time I went down on a downhill turn in West Virginia where there shouldn't have been any sand -- but there was in one spot and it was near invisible -- I wasn't going full speed but fast. I didn't break anything, I usually take all falls well. But what hit the pavement was the heel of my right hand to instinctively protect my body just before I could crunch up and roll away. The coarse rural pavement was a #20 sanding belt. It took weeks to regrow the skin and tissue over my heel bone after sanding it off. No thanks, not again. I like my hands so I wear all manner of gloves for various tasks and substances, where it makes good sense. Practicing wheelies on the lawn? Not needed..
Old 08-29-18, 08:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1
I wear riding gloves, as I have not met a Doctor yet who can put skin back on.

i didnt use gloves for a long time. Then I went down. Could not find the same doctor Patriot couldn’t find. Learned my lesson. Gloves on all rides except just putting to the store or to the park with jr.
Old 08-30-18, 04:09 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
A few weeks ago I was riding on a MUP and a low-hanging branch from a bush or tree was hanging well into the middle of the trail. I brushed it aside, but because I was wearing half-fingered gloves, I got a nice thorn on my finger. Made a note to only swipe with a protected part of my hand in the future.