Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmet testing and rankings?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Helmet testing and rankings?

Old 04-20-21, 12:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you also a certified word salad chef? Because that rant is classic gibberish.
That was just uncalled for, gratuitous, ad hominem attack. I should flag it. And I should also cut and paste smackdowns you have received from others because of your need to get personal where it isn't necessary, and link locked threads you've taken down the rabbit hole while I am at it. You weren't posting here for quite awhile. What are the chances you were banned by a moderator?
Old 04-20-21, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That was just uncalled for, gratuitous, ad hominem attack. I should flag it. And I should also cut and paste smackdowns you have received from others because of your need to get personal where it isn't necessary, and link locked threads you've taken down the rabbit hole while I am at it. You weren't posting here for quite awhile. What are the chances you were banned by a moderator?
Thanks for asking, I haven't ever been banned. How about you?
Your MO is to insult everyone else on the forum, then act aggrieved when people call you on it.

Gratuitous insulting generalizations from your word salad: "Y'all judge me, ignore me, then involve yourself in cringe inducing multi-day rants at each other over all manner of nonsense. "

"The 'accidents' that take out the rest of you. You insist up and down there was no possible way to avoid them ... maybe. You say yourselves that all drivers are texting ... I'm not understanding why, then, why ANY cyclists are hit because they barrel into an intersection just because they have the signal."

So basically, it's ok for you to claim we're all excusing bad cycling habits and engaging in nonsensical "cringe-inducing rants"? Notice you use the words "y'all" and "the rest of you", making it clear you mean everyone on this thread who isn't you. I get that the moderators don't tend to pick up on the generalized insults, and that's the only reason you've been getting away with your habitual trolling for so long.

And by the way, what I posted wasn't an ad hominem attack, I was attacking the quality of your posts on this thread, which were truly abysmal. Your response to me, however, is a classic ad hominem attack. A certified genius should have figured that out before he went there.
Old 04-20-21, 05:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@Leisesturm

Please leave this thread.

Bye.
Old 04-20-21, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
@Leisesturm

Please leave this thread.

Bye.
This.

None of his or her posts - not a single one - even made a fake attempt to address the OP's question. Pointless.

wgscott : I appreciate that Venn diagram post. Nice to see that some of those helmets are not too terribly expensive, too.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-23-21, 09:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-24-21, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
'bout time!

Bontrager was actually one of the helmets that fit me the best when I was on a helmet search. Don't remember which model, but it was what was one of their top of the line.

Back then Wavecell was still really new to me and I had some worries about air flow in our long hot summers here. Probably unfounded from what I've heard, but let us know if you care to.
Old 04-24-21, 11:07 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

This is my second one. I bought the $300 mountain one when they first came out. They were running a promotion of 20% or 30% off if you brought in your old helmet. I gave them my daughter's broken, outgrown helmet. (I asked. They cut the straps off and throw them out.) I got the $150 road one. It has better ventilation and slightly better test scores than the $300 road one (which looks the same as my mountain one, sans removable vizor.)

I took the vizor off the mountain one and used it briefly on-road. To test its propensity to over-heat, I put the chain in the large chainring and went up my favorite 13% grade (the road even has the name "grade" in it), and the mountain one definitely gets a bit warm.

My son got the identical $150 road one a few months ago. He rides hard, sweats a lot, and he is totally comfortable in the Bontrager Specter Wacecel. (He is similar in build etc to me, except has muscle where I have fat deposits).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-24-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 08:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Any of the helmets on the market pass the standard tests for protection. What I find amazing is how the really high priced helmets with a "name brand" and lots of advertising generally has huge holes in them. Depending on where you fall, something could come right in thru those holes and injure you.
Old 04-25-21, 10:20 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm sorry, I really must insist ... crashing is unacceptable ... I am a certified genius ...
Certified? Probably. Genius? Definitely not.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-25-21, 11:00 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rydabent
Any of the helmets on the market pass the standard tests for protection. What I find amazing is how the really high priced helmets with a "name brand" and lots of advertising generally has huge holes in them. Depending on where you fall, something could come right in thru those holes and injure you.
You might also get hit by lightning on a clear sunny day, which would be about as likely.
Old 04-26-21, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You might also get hit by lightning on a clear sunny day, which would be about as likely.
You could, but we are discussing bike helmets here.
Old 04-26-21, 08:55 AM
Koyote

You could, but we are discussing bike helmets here.
Okay, let me rephrase it, since you seem to have missed the point: What would possibly "come right in thru those holes," and have you ever even heard of such a thing actually happening?
Old 04-26-21, 09:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I for one plan on riding the rest of my life without a crash. But if I ride enough probably will at some point. I don't care how good you are, or how careful and observant, it takes only a momentary lapse in the wrong fraction of a second and you'll go down. And with events outside of our control, we can only react and hope that it's good enough. I don't hold that crashes are inevitable - luck could hold out forever. But likely it won't.

That said, the risk calculation is individual and subjective. It makes unassailable sense to want the most effective protection, and I admit that I eagerly consume testing data and medical studies for that reason. But when it gets down to price, I wind up closer to Lesiesturm's camp and I also have a $20 helmet years past the apocryphal expiration date.
Old 04-26-21, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Okay, let me rephrase it, since you seem to have missed the point: What would possibly "come right in thru those holes," and have you ever even heard of such a thing actually happening?

I had a bee fly into a helmet hole once, but I was able to get her out without suffering any harm.
Old 04-28-21, 03:57 PM
Gr33n_@pproach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Just to clarify, I "liked" the content of the post, not what happened to you. Thanks for this reply.
I've been experiencing this type of situation so much that I literally clarify the reason why I believe the post is good in the message where I initially say it LOL.
Old 04-28-21, 04:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I for one plan on riding the rest of my life without a crash. But if I ride enough probably will at some point. I don't care how good you are, or how careful and observant, it takes only a momentary lapse in the wrong fraction of a second and you'll go down. And with events outside of our control, we can only react and hope that it's good enough. I don't hold that crashes are inevitable - luck could hold out forever. But likely it won't.

That said, the risk calculation is individual and subjective. It makes unassailable sense to want the most effective protection, and I admit that I eagerly consume testing data and medical studies for that reason. But when it gets down to price, I wind up closer to Lesiesturm's camp and I also have a $20 helmet years past the apocryphal expiration date.
When people say "I've never crashed", I always add a "yet" to it. If you ride enough, something will happen. As you said, sometimes events are out of our control and have nothing to do with how skilled we might be.

Personally, I have no issue spending $200-ish every 3-5 years on something to protect my most valuable asset in the event that something does happen. Sure, I could probably go longer between purchases, but I'm kind of a fashion snob, too.