Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Men: why shave your legs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: do you shave your legs?
Yes, It looks good
40.22%
No, shaving is for chicks
61.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Men: why shave your legs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 05:09 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

And also that many women don't appreciate being referred to as "chicks". We prefer being shown a little bit of respect.
Agree +++
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-21-07, 08:12 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I can muddle the situation further: could the two possible answers allowed for the poll be one of those questions meant to illustrate the bias of the responder? As in, if I could expand the answers, "Yes, it looks good: I'm not ruled by what others think of me" and "No, it's for chicks: I'm afraid others will think I'm gay"? Sorta like the old question, "Have you stopped beating your wife today", only that this question allows for one right answer instead of none.

I'm probably phrasing it poorly, though. And it does seem like the question is aimed solely at men.
Old 10-21-07, 08:57 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Don't forget all that weight left behind instead of toting up the next hill. Why, it's probably equivalent to a full spit.
Old 10-21-07, 10:11 AM
xcracer13
Nitro

Bikes: Salsa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well first, in this case, I suspect that xcracer13 didn't realize that women ride bicycles too, or he wouldn't have posted this particular poll with the wording he chose. I thought it was greatly amusing that the first two people to respond were female cyclists.

Second, I suspect that xcracer13 is 13 years old and doesn't know any better.
i do know that girls ride bikes, but this question was mainly directed to the guys. I was just wondering to shave my legs or not.
and im 14 thank you
Old 10-21-07, 10:25 AM
xcracer13
Nitro

Bikes: Salsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you read the rest of the question??? Apparently not. The question is clearly written as though:

1) all the forum members here are male
2) all women shave their legs

Neither of those presumptions is true.

I'm not sure if that makes the question "sexist" or not, but it does make it necessary to point out to the OP that not all forum members here are male, and not all women shave their legs.

And also that many women don't appreciate being referred to as "chicks". We prefer being shown a little bit of respect.
Im a guy, and was trying to get other guys thought about it and i do know there are women on this forum. If yout think its affensive then don't read it.. The ''girls'' didn't have to flip the original question and turn it into some political argument. I put ''chicks'' b/c most of the time if I ask a fellow ''man'' that dosen't shave his legs i usually get ''No shaving is for chicks'' i did not in tend for it too be a sexist comment and i dont see how it was. All the women that I know shave their legs and all the women that i have seen shave their legs and in todays society people suspect that women shave their legs. I did not in tend for the OP to be a sexist comment and it wasnt to me.
Old 10-21-07, 10:34 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xcracer13
Im a guy, and was trying to get other guys thought about it and i do know there are women on this forum. If yout think its affensive then don't read it.. The ''girls'' didn't have to flip the original question and turn it into some political argument. I put ''chicks'' b/c most of the time if I ask a fellow ''man'' that dosen't shave his legs i usually get ''No shaving is for chicks'' i did not in tend for it too be a sexist comment and i dont see how it was. All the women that I know shave their legs and all the women that i have seen shave their legs and in todays society people suspect that women shave their legs. I did not in tend for the OP to be a sexist comment and it wasnt to me.
I edited your thread title. Perhaps that will help women understand that you meant for this poll to be for men, as none of the women who are on Bike Forums are mind readers.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 10-21-07, 11:09 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
6) Spandex with hairs sticking out of them looks awful.
You have hair that sticks out through spandex? Steel wool, perhaps?

My bands:
Old 10-21-07, 11:43 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, briefly. Then I wrecked for the first time on an ice patch and after the fun of cleaning my road rash... no more leg hair.
Wrecking is inevitable for me. Hence my title.
Old 10-21-07, 12:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by dwoloz
The only reason that made any remote sense to me was for massage
Not vanity? Do you comb your hair before you go to work? Why?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-21-07, 02:03 PM
croscoe

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
It is all for the entity known as bike forums. More repeated content to drag up weekly.

Reasons to name a few:
1) Vanity
2) It looks better
3) Easier to apply sunscreen
4) Massages feel better
5) Easier to clean out road rash.
6) Spandex with hairs sticking out of them looks awful.

I really do not understand why this question comes up so often. Many other sports involve shaving various body parts. Swimmers, body builders, etc.
Do forums devoted to these sports suffer from the same incessant questions?
Indeed.
Old 10-21-07, 03:25 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Part of my wants to sit back and be entertained by this train wreck of a thread. But I'm bad at shutting up when it comes to political correctness.

Um... people are speaking as if vanity is a bad thing. Honestly, it's a value I don't have much time for, but if it's within reason, I don't see how it harms anyone. Keeping in mind that the argument that shaving your legs is only for looks could be made for lycra cycling clothes as well.

As to the wording of the poll... I honestly think people can be far to oversensitive about these things. It's pretty obvious to me that the way these questions was worded was both meant to be funny and aimed towards men exclusively. If anyone wants to be offended at this, that's certainly a point of view.

My bands:
Old 10-21-07, 04:22 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
"Keeping in mind that the argument that shaving your legs is only for looks could be made for lycra cycling clothes as well."

That would explain why I see people walking in this stuff.
Old 10-21-07, 04:24 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hit black ice at the end of my drive way one winter a few years back. Road rash in January and having to wear work jeands 5 days a week was not much fun. Having hair ground into it was evan worse, think infection. I can wear short sleaves at work so the arm rash wasnt bad. Btu I wont go with out shaving now.
Old 10-21-07, 05:42 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two main reasons I shave are:

1) Vanity
Shaved legs just look better than unshaved (and most of the women I've polled on the subject agree).

I've spent thousands of hours cycling tens of thousands of miles, and climbing hundreds of thousands of vertical feet. After all that, why would I want to hide my muscles under a layer of hair?

2) Tribal Ritual
I typically ride with the Big Dogs...and most of the Big Dogs shave.

As for the fear of appearing different - I've never been worried whether or not some overweight slob with sexual insecurities might think I'm "gay".
Old 10-21-07, 06:58 PM
neilfein

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSP
As for the fear of appearing different - I've never been worried whether or not some overweight slob with sexual insecurities might think I'm "gay".
Because only fat guys are insecure. (My turn to be oversensitive, now, yeah...)

My bands:
Old 10-21-07, 07:12 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shaved looks hot and hairy is not!
Old 10-21-07, 07:40 PM
neilfein

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimblairo
That's a matter of opinion, friend.

My bands:
Old 10-21-07, 11:38 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that cycling guys shave legs. It's slowly dismantling the patriarchy, and they don't even know it!

I hate that leg shaving is such a gender specific thing in our culture. It sucks, but it is. The more men that shave, the less it becomes a girly thing to do. I don't know if I buy the wind drag or road rash arguments, but whatev. I'm down with leg shaving.

Originally Posted by jimblairo
Truth. For guys and gals.
Old 10-22-07, 03:03 PM
spencejm

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Not vanity? Do you comb your hair before you go to work? Why?
I'm offended that you appear to assume we all have enough hair to comb.
Old 10-22-07, 03:56 PM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because they are gay??

(being silly)

Seriously.

It's a matter of personal hygene. Some find that it is easier to treat road rash without hair in the way.

I would imagine there are aero advantages as well. That 1/100th of a second slip stream advatage can be huge at 15mph.

The serious answer is it is easier to clean and treat wounds on a shaven leg. - feels great too. If you don't believe it, ask the next shaved cyclist you see if you can touch his legs.
Old 10-22-07, 05:18 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xcracer13
Maybe when you are a tad older than 14 you will understand that women don't like being called "chicks" and don't like being called "girls" unless we are also 14, in which case we probably don't have enough leg hair to make it worth shaving anyway.
Old 10-22-07, 06:23 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the original poll question: Yes. Feels cool, and because I grow sparse little areas of whispy leg hair that look silly.
A male must be comfortable in his manhood to shave his legs. I guess he could be comfortable in his feminine side as well, but that's a different discussion
Old 10-22-07, 06:42 PM
Rosso Corsa
Senoir Membre

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans, Bianchi Sport, Trek 3500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
"Keeping in mind that the argument that shaving your legs is only for looks could be made for lycra cycling clothes as well."

That would explain why I see people walking in this stuff.
Lol I clicked on walking like 20 times before I realized it wasn't a link!
Old 10-22-07, 06:46 PM
gkb
im confused

Bikes: 198X Pfister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't shave now, but i will if i ever race. its part of the uniform.
Old 10-22-07, 07:40 PM
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner

Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shave my legs a) because I tend to crash more often than most and b) my girlfriend likes it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.