Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Apparently if a cop almost hits you it's totally fine.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Apparently if a cop almost hits you it's totally fine.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 04:58 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
TY, don't mind if I do.

We need more over here. I'll run tab.

Meanwhile, I'll get more of these... :
Old 11-18-11, 05:09 PM
ntjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by savvy523
I was riding along an MUP, I had right of way while the cop did not. He did not obey the stop sign and I barely stopped in time. There was another cyclist with me, I thought I did something wrong because you'd think cops follow the law right? I was surprised but what can you do? Yell? Bang on his hood? Kinda unfair if you ask me. Anyone else had something like this happen to them? I wanted to report him but I doubt that would have done any good.
Are you up on history. The representatives of the state are not known for giving a d&*ck about the people or their rights, or their bikes. In any country in any town in all the world, they are not on your team. That is just the way it is, and you are very right - reporting it would have done no good.
Old 11-18-11, 05:14 PM
clutchy
EV + PV

Bikes: '06 Lemond Sarthe!!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i like cops but really... they're people just like you and I and some of them get a complex because they don't get busted for being jerks on the road or pulled over for speeding.

any of the usual things you'd expect to get cited for cops are mostly immune to.
Old 11-18-11, 07:37 PM
savvy523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clutchy
i like cops but really... they're people just like you and I and some of them get a complex because they don't get busted for being jerks on the road or pulled over for speeding.

any of the usual things you'd expect to get cited for cops are mostly immune to.

I like them too they're really nice to me especially bike cops. They usually wave hehe. I understand he might have had a hard day or dealing with stress I don't know about. At first I was angry but as I was riding home I began thinking about it. You never know what someone has been through that week/day/month.
Old 11-18-11, 08:09 PM
veloboy971
Must Go Faster

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like them too they're really nice to me especially bike cops. They usually wave hehe. I understand he might have had a hard day or dealing with stress I don't know about. At first I was angry but as I was riding home I began thinking about it. You never know what someone has been through that week/day/month.
I don't like the UFPD bike cops. They'll (or try to) pull you over for wearing headphones, not putting your foot down at a stop sign or running a red light. The fun part though is dialing it up to 500 watts when you see them coming after you !!!
Old 11-18-11, 08:12 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'm highly confident that if the cop hits you, no summons will be issued.
Old 11-18-11, 08:23 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe the cop was texting.
Old 11-18-11, 09:36 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had close calls twice with cops and the left hook. I only reported the one as the officer was in an unmarked car... best part he was the community safety officer.
Old 11-18-11, 09:43 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emergency lights do not a "right-of-way" make, actually.

When we were training on the quint, the common wording was "by using the siren, horn, bells and whistles - you're really just asking for permission."

Otherwise, someone pass me a Bier!
Old 11-19-11, 03:29 PM
Falchoon

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veloboy971
I don't like the UFPD bike cops. They'll (or try to) pull you over for wearing headphones, not putting your foot down at a stop sign or running a red light.
Not a fan of peoole riding with headphones but there's no law against it here in Australia but it's your life you can do whatever as long as it doesn't affect me, but there are laws against not stopping at stop signs or red lights, do you think you should be exempt from these laws?
Old 11-19-11, 04:51 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cyclists should base their assumptions on the laws of physics rather than on the traffic laws.
.....things that are moving in a certain direction have a tendency to keep moving in that direction........

I think I learned that one day at school. Conservation of momentum?

An of course momentum is mass x velocity........so big heavy things are more likely to keep moving regardless of what lighter objects do.
Old 11-19-11, 07:53 PM
mkmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cops = awful drivers.
Old 11-19-11, 07:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mkmartin
cops = awful drivers.
Wow! Generalize much?!?!
Old 11-19-11, 08:03 PM
mkmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Wow! Generalize much?!?!

Nope, its true
Old 11-19-11, 08:08 PM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Can somebody pass me one of those beers?
Old 11-20-11, 02:28 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was riding along an MUP, I had right of way while the cop did not. He did not obey the stop sign and I barely stopped in time. There was another cyclist with me, I thought I did something wrong because you'd think cops follow the law right? I was surprised but what can you do? Yell? Bang on his hood? Kinda unfair if you ask me. Anyone else had something like this happen to them? I wanted to report him but I doubt that would have done any good.
sounds like your assuming its "fine" because it sounds like you did nothing about it. Save it for the next time, oh yes there will be more. With each close contact I have with a vehicle my bark continues to get louder and more reflexive. So make some noise! Cops are people too so no need to put them on a pedestal. Hell my dad tailgates police but that's the wrong end of the spectrum. Cops around here aren't in a hurry to do anything so I've never had the pleasure.
Old 11-20-11, 08:26 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m riding past our local police station; I’m the last vehicle in a long line. Cars coming the other way are stopped as a cop is waiting to make a left into the station; he is looking at his dash, not at the road. As the car in front of me clears the driveway the cop guns it starting across my lane heading right for me, I lock up both brakes, he locks up his brakes. As I slip past in front of his stopped cruiser, a big hand comes out his window and waves and I hear a very loud and deep “SORRY!”. I waved and went on my way.

They are just people.

They also make bad mistakes, a cop killed two on bikes in our mountains with his cruiser a couple years ago.

Last edited by con; 11-20-11 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 09:48 AM
savvy523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
sounds like your assuming its "fine" because it sounds like you did nothing about it. Save it for the next time, oh yes there will be more. With each close contact I have with a vehicle my bark continues to get louder and more reflexive. So make some noise! Cops are people too so no need to put them on a pedestal. Hell my dad tailgates police but that's the wrong end of the spectrum. Cops around here aren't in a hurry to do anything so I've never had the pleasure.
Yeah I know, there was a car taking half of the bike lane so I took action. The hand went up, it got real haha.
Old 11-20-11, 10:03 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Not a fan of peoole riding with headphones but there's no law against it here in Australia but it's your life you can do whatever as long as it doesn't affect me, but there are laws against not stopping at stop signs or red lights, do you think you should be exempt from these laws?
Who said anything about not stopping? Even if you track stand they'll tell you to put your foot down, it's ridiculous. Our campus police now uses a motorized scooter. I've asked him before if he wanted to drag race XD. And 500 Watts? Come on, at least 1000 Nothing more fun than racing a track racer friend down the main university drag on a quiet day. 32 mph sprinting, road vs track, so much fun