Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why Weight Lifting is Better than Cycling and Running

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 06:54 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

*this refers to power and olympic lifts. not that silly bodybuilding nonsense*
1. components should not get lighter
2. installing components is very easy
3. can get a great workout faster than cycling or running
4. builds bone density better than cycling or running
5. improves flexibility, your heart, and all your other muscles
6. will make you sprint on a bike faster than you could without it
7. no specialized clothes: cotton shirt, shorts, and shoes
8. supplements and benefits any athletic endeavor
9. you're 6'2". you should not weight 135lbs
10. you're 6'2", 135lbs and you cant even carry your lover...pfff
11. the testosterone feels nice...very nice
12. your cns will love you more
13. laugh at those puny cyclists while they fumble for a spare tube to help a stranded lass. hoist her upon your shoulder and gallantly carry her to your love-den. fold the bike, insert in pocket. later, unfold bike and squeeze back together
14. you cant outrun that charging dog, but you can slam that cyclist and his bike into that mutt with the power of zeus
15. guads but no squats? thats like having Di2 without electronics.
16. the shorts are not tight because you need your legs hugged. the shorts are tight because your leg muscles cannot be contained
17. because no one is turned on by how fast your legs spin while your bent over, or how fast or far you run with protected nipples
18. no helmets, no reflective nonsense. just sweat glistening on glamours glutes
19. increasing cog counts= who cares. increasing plates on the bar= can he/she
really do that?
20. cheapest power meter: how much can you lift and/or how fast can you move how much you can lift
21. because looking like a ramones frontman without your shirt on is foolish
22. not being afraid of cars
23. not being afraid of injury from a cute, playful squirrel running in front of you
24. the ability to easily walk
25. not worrying about a weekend pro causing an accident with you
26. not having to cross train for complete fitness
27. peeing does not have the potential for registering as a sex offender (no peeing in public)
28. brakes? just lift til failure...or the end of your set
29. no concave chest cavity
30. supplements? eat some steak. delicious.

Last edited by abstractform20; 12-03-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: more reasons
Old 12-03-11, 06:56 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13729 Post(s)
Liked 4,538 Times in 2,513 Posts
More dumbbells in weight lifting.
Old 12-03-11, 06:59 PM
savvy523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot the smell of sweat from other people around you and getting germs. Oh and the term "fresh air" doesn't exit. Wait...and best of all...feeling trapped.
Old 12-03-11, 07:35 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by savvy523
You forgot the smell of sweat from other people around you and getting germs. Oh and the term "fresh air" doesn't exit. Wait...and best of all...feeling trapped.
i guess if you work out with people that have no hygiene and dont use deodorant, in a place where nothing is cleaned, and it is a windowless box...then yes, i agree.

"getting germs"

what about sitting for hours on a pad where sweat from your upper body drips into the crack of your ass, and settles with the sweat from the areas in contact with your genitals...and just sits there? do you wash your saddle? gloves? helmet?
Old 12-03-11, 07:36 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and only the weak are trapped...underneath a barbell. but fear not, your commitment to resistance train will free you!
Old 12-03-11, 07:45 PM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
what about sitting for hours on a pad where sweat from your upper body drips into the crack of your ass, and settles with the sweat from the areas in contact with your genitals...and just sits there? do you wash your saddle? gloves? helmet?

lol
Old 12-03-11, 07:52 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not do both? I have lifted far longer than I have cycled. I like them both and will continue to do both, but if I could only do one, it would be weights.
Old 12-03-11, 07:55 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
Why not do both? I have lifted far longer than I have cycled. I like them both and will continue to do both, but if I could only do one, it would be weights.
both? dont you turn this forum into some logical cult following. i have kool drink if you want some...its a house brand version of kool aid.
Old 12-03-11, 08:05 PM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is the part about how it is better?
Old 12-03-11, 08:06 PM
savvy523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess if you work out with people that have no hygiene and dont use deodorant, in a place where nothing is cleaned, and it is a windowless box...then yes, i agree.

"getting germs"

Cycling clothes are always kept fresh..it's part of the rules duhhhh. I do work out between classes, it's more of a chore. People who work out for sport are sad. Most of them are not very athletic. Anyone can lift heavy crap. Sports actually take talent. I've been playing tennis since I was 4, it took me a long time to get where I am today. Lifting weights...just lift and eat what else is there?
Old 12-03-11, 08:29 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 162 Posts
Smoking has no effect on the results.
Old 12-03-11, 08:35 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

The only weight lifting I'm interested in is the kind that involves lifting spoonfuls of ice cream into my mouth.
Old 12-03-11, 08:50 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I agree, I lifted weights all the way from my house to the grocery store then to work and it was much faster than riding a stupid bike.
Old 12-03-11, 09:05 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I agree, I lifted weights all the way from my house to the grocery store then to work and it was much faster than riding a stupid bike.
i admire your commitment to weight lifting, but that seems excessive. i usually just throw them from the store to my house. start incorporating more olympic lifts into your routine.
Old 12-03-11, 09:06 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjones28
The only weight lifting I'm interested in is the kind that involves lifting spoonfuls of ice cream into my mouth.
i saw you at state last year.
Old 12-03-11, 09:13 PM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"getting germs"

Dunno about you... but I regularly wash my saddle, gloves, helmet, and the rest of my cycling gear. Heck, while I'm at it I like to wash my bike too... but, maybe I'm just neurotic and like clean gear.

On the other hand, I did just buy a secondhand weight set (I like lifting weights but I have a phobia of gyms...) and I do run periodically.
Old 12-03-11, 09:15 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

i saw you at state last year.
I metaled. Silver spoon.
Old 12-03-11, 09:23 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
That can be a good work out:

Old 12-03-11, 09:32 PM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dood, that's like 20 lbs per arm.

Have you guys read the beer and ice cream diet?

"As we all know, it takes 1 calorie to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree centigrade. Translated into meaningful terms, this means that if you eat a very cold dessert (generally consisting of water in large part), the natural processes which raise the consumed dessert to body temperature during the digestive cycle literally sucks the calories out of the only available source, your body fat. For example, a dessert served and eaten at near 0 degrees C (32.2 deg. F) will in a short time be raised to the normal body temperature of 37 degrees C (98.6 deg. F). For each gram of dessert eaten, that process takes approximately 37 calories as stated above. The average dessert portion is 6 oz, or 168 grams. Therefore, by operation of thermodynamic law, 6,216 calories (1 cal./gm/deg. x 37 deg. x 168 gms) are extracted from body fat as the dessert's temperature is normalized. Allowing for the 1,200 latent calories in the dessert, the net calorie loss is approximately 5,000 calories.
Obviously, the more cold dessert you eat,the better off you are and the faster you will lose weight, if that is your goal. This process works equally well when drinking very cold beer in frosted glasses. Each ounce of beer contains 16 latent calories, but extracts 1,036 calories (6,216 cal. per 6 oz. portion) in the temperature normalizing process. Thus the net calorie loss per ounce of beer is 1,020 calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that 12,240 calories (12 oz. x 1,020 cal./oz.) are extracted from the body in the process of drinking a can of beer.
Frozen desserts, e.g., ice cream, are even more beneficial, since it takes 83 cal./gm to melt them (i.e., raise them to 0 deg. C) and an additional 37 cal./gm to further raise them to body temperature. The results here are really remarkable, and it beats running hands down.
Unfortunately, for those who eat pizza as an excuse to drink beer, pizza (loaded with latent calories and served above body temperature) induces an opposite effect. But, thankfully, as the astute reader should have already reasoned, the obvious solution is to drink a lot of beer with pizza and follow up immediately with large bowls of ice cream.We could all be thin if we were to adhere religiously to a pizza, beer, and ice cream diet."
-Source: School of Physics, University of Sydney
Old 12-03-11, 09:38 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

That's why ice cream is better than everything.
Old 12-03-11, 09:41 PM
Kind of Blued

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight lifting also has much better scenery, if you're into looking at male genitalia while you exercise, and naked male genitalia afterwords in the shower.

Old 12-03-11, 09:44 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I metaled. Silver spoon.
the winner this year died from a peanut allergy. to honor her, we all smoked a bowl. after it melted, we took turns eating from the bowl.
Old 12-03-11, 09:53 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
Weight lifting also has much better scenery, if you're into looking at male genitalia while you exercise, and naked male genitalia afterwords in the shower.

oh look, mr. my-boy-friends-and-i-are-going-to-dress-up-in-ass-hugging-shorts-without-underwear-and-lube-under-our-asses-and-tight-fitting-shirts-to-really-push-each-as-our-freddie-mercury-in-his-last-year-body-types-perspire-together-in-a-"straight"-line-and-imagine-winning-pink-polka-dotted-and-yellow-jerseys-but-first-let-me-make-a-gay-bashing-joke-after-i-embed-two-guys-lifting-weight-on-a-non-olympic-bench" has arrived.
Old 12-03-11, 09:55 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ps-i enjoy looking at nice things too
Old 12-03-11, 10:21 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight lifting sucks. Hard.

Speaking of which, I just got back from the gym. I only lift to keep a little muscle mass since cycling quickly takes that away from the upper body. That and weight lifting boosts my metabolism like crazy, which is a good thing because I don't have the time to ride as much as I'd like to. I'd be fat if I didn't lift. Otherwise, I can't stand it. It's not fun and most gyms are gross. I feel good afterwards because physical activity releases endorphines and dopamine and whatnot, but it's mostly just because I'm happy it's over with. I'm also not too fond of running, but I do that as well.

I actually enjoy things like riding my bike, playing basketball, golf, shooting guns, etc. I weight lift and run to stay healthy when I can't do something I enjoy.

I never want to be a big, fat, ugly meat head. I hate when I see huge guys at the gym that are so massive that they just look stupid. I'm okay with being strong and ripped, but too much mass is not attractive. It says, "I'm trying to compensate for being small elsewhere." I also highly doubt that lifting or body building is any healthier. I've been told that body building enlarges the heart and isn't good for you in the long run. I think "strength training" is fine, but "weight lifting" or "body building" is stupid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.