Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Whats your favorite climb out here in LA???

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 08:06 PM
jakepounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! I'm Jake, i live in the san fernando valley. As a cyclist i am always looking for a good challenge! I'm just curious, what is your favorite climbs out here? I always do Porter Ranch runs, Santa Sue runs, Mullholand through sepulvada. La Tuna, and thats all i can think of now....but im looking for some more. Maybee some that dont have many cars on them? And some where i can have a fun decent
Thanks!!!
Old 10-10-12, 09:02 PM
mtrider05
Slow

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angeles Crest, Mount Wilson, Little/Big Tujunga, GMR, Mt. Baldy, then there's the Santa Monicas... so many.
Old 10-10-12, 09:21 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtrider05
Angeles Crest, Mount Wilson, Little/Big Tujunga, GMR, Mt. Baldy, then there's the Santa Monicas... so many.
+1

Coming out of the Valley, I've always had a love/hate thing with May Canyon. From the north (Santa Clarita) there's Bear Divide/Camp 9 (good climb, few cars, normally). Further north in Castaic: Lake Hughes Rd, Ridge Route Rd.

As for a favorite: I don't have one. As a clyde, I hate climbing.
Old 10-10-12, 09:29 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtrider05
I agree with what mtrider05 listed and would also add Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake and beyond, to Hwy 2 (which is Angeles Crest).

My favorites are GMR/GRR and Angeles Crest (Angeles Forest is good too, however!).

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-10-12, 09:39 PM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooooh Crystal Lake in the winter when its cold and foggy. Super cool. Feel like you are in France.

Been doing a lot of Nichols Canyon. I know its short but we add on Mullholland and Wonder View to Mt Hollywood and the Hollywood sign. That will give you a couple of feet. Not long climbs but steep.

If you feel like getting your teeth kicked in do Chantry 3x. That will take the climbing bug out of you for a day or two.
Old 10-11-12, 12:06 AM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Climb to Mill Creek Summit from Tujunga, then descend the way you came.
Old 10-12-12, 08:00 PM
TupacInLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakepounder
Hey guys! I'm Jake, i live in the san fernando valley. As a cyclist i am always looking for a good challenge! I'm just curious, what is your favorite climbs out here? I always do Porter Ranch runs, Santa Sue runs, Mullholand through sepulvada. La Tuna, and thats all i can think of now....but im looking for some more. Maybee some that dont have many cars on them? And some where i can have a fun decent
Thanks!!!
Where in Porter Ranch can you bike that allows for climbs?
Old 10-12-12, 09:10 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Hi OP, you don't say where you are in the valley, but I heartily recommend the Santa Monicas. They get good right away. The nearest routes are Topanga Canyon, Fernwood, Stunt, Piuma.
Old 10-13-12, 11:09 AM
53-12

Bikes: Road: Basso, Bottecchia, KHS, Origin8, Mtn: KHS, Felt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of my favorites for that area have already been named, up Big Tujunga / down Angeles Crest especially. A little further away but, up San Francisquito Canyon / down Bouquet Canyon was always good, though it has been a number of years since I last did that one.
Old 10-15-12, 08:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-12
A little further away but, up San Francisquito Canyon / down Bouquet Canyon was always good, though it has been a number of years since I last did that one.
I did that one last Saturday with the club,, (SFVBC). The previous Saturday I went out to Acton via Newhall pass and Soledad then up Aliso to Angeles Forest and down Big Tujunga.
Old 10-16-12, 09:03 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
To me, a great climb has little traffic, great views and the reward of a great descent. Nothing worse than struggling up a 10% grade for miles, then having to ride the brakes most of the way down because the surface is so crappy (Yerba Buena comes to mind, for example).

In the San Gabriels? GMR/GRR. Little traffic, great views, and fun descents on the way back down. 39 is a nice climb, but the road surface isn't so hot.

In the Santa Monicas? Tough choice between Piuma and Latigo. Piuma has awesome views, but Latigo's got a better descent, IMHO.

Palos Verdes: The switchbacks to the radar domes.

Old 10-18-12, 07:58 PM
jakepounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I did that one last Saturday with the club,, (SFVBC). The previous Saturday I went out to Acton via Newhall pass and Soledad then up Aliso to Angeles Forest and down Big Tujunga.
You ride with them as well? hmm, well i was looking on their website and its usually the same climbs as the month before. But, this month they seemed to change it up a little taking us up past new hall..
Old 10-18-12, 10:15 PM
mrflip69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going up, ACH for sure. Nice steady grind, wide/smooth pavement, motorists are pretty friendly to share the road. Water stop at Redbox with good tasting tap water.

Going down, GMR no contest! Tough climb if you're going up GMR... much easier to approach from East fork, but the descent is a great reward.

39 to Crystal Lake, if it's not too hot. Another steady grind. Sparse traffice after East fork... Loved drinking from the mini waterfall. Fresh, ice cold water on a 98 degree day that didn't give me the runs!
Old 10-19-12, 07:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by jakepounder
You ride with them as well? hmm, well i was looking on their website and its usually the same climbs as the month before. But, this month they seemed to change it up a little taking us up past new hall..
I've been a member since 1989 and have met lots of good friends there. If you haven't been to a club ride, just show up and start getting to know some people and you'll figure out who you like to ride with.
3 or 4 rides to choose from on Saturdays and most everyone does a short (25-30 mile) ride on Sundays.
Old 10-20-12, 03:49 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TupacInLA
Where in Porter Ranch can you bike that allows for climbs?
Tubac, in Porter Ranch from Rinaldi you can ride up Reseda, Wilber, Tampa, Corbin-Porter Ranch Road and Mason. These are all somewhat short rides but you can string a few repeats together for a decent hill climb day. However, the other rides listed in this thread are quite awesome and worth riding.