Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need education on disc brake pads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 08:17 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

I need new disc brake pads. But I need help figuring out what I have and what I can replace it with.

They are Tektro hydraulics. (On a 2017 Specialized Crosstrail if anyone has the ability to look up a specific brake model, but there is nothing on the levers or calipers telling me what model)

The current pad is below. It's hard to read but I think it says A10.11 BP618 _C741

I looked up A10.11 and this Tektro official page says that is a metallic ceramic compound
https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=226

This official Tektro spreadsheet says that is a standard metal pad (Middle section)
https://www.tektro.com/upload/Produc...1999DtkdK8.PDF

All the product descriptions I can find online for this model bike say it came stock with organic pads.

So I have all 3 possible answers all from what should be reliable sources.

Is the A10.11 even a code for the pad compound? Google searches only come up with results for that. The other 2 numbers come up empty.

What ever I have now works fine so I want to keep the same compound. Once I figure out what kind of compound it is....can I get any brand that has that same shape? Such as these? (Just an example)

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...pads?fltr=4121

Old 06-28-19, 08:26 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I am not familiar with that brake system, so YMMV from what I am about to say...

It appears that the part number, or pad type, is A10.11, based on 30 seconds of Googling myself. The other numbers mean something to Tektro, I guess, maybe manufacture dates or lot numbers, but the A10.11 seems to be what you're looking for. That said, you indicate it came off a Specialized Crosstrail, call the LBS and tell them the exact model bike you have, year included, and describe the brakes, the mech there will be able to tell you what pads you need in seconds, and might even stock them.

Good luck!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 06-28-19, 08:33 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Badger6
call the LBS and tell them the exact model bike you have, year included, and describe the brakes, the mech there will be able to tell you what pads you need in seconds, and might even stock them.
You'd think that, wouldn't you?

I tried that. It didn't work out so well. I took the pad there last night and the mech looked like he didn't know what the part was at all.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 06-28-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:48 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Some Tektro brakes use the same type of pad as some Shimano brakes, you look to have the same shape pad as the Shimano B01S resin pads / E01S metal pads.

Resin = Organic.

Plenty of other companies sell these types of pads too, google Shimano M525 pads and you'll see what's out there.
Likes For cobba:
Old 06-28-19, 08:50 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Ugh...sounds like it's time to find a new shop, I'd start calling around. I've never understood how that is even remotely acceptable in a shop, especially when you consider that sales of clothing/accessories and service is how they make their money. They sold the bike, and their mechanic can't be bothered to know how to repair it (part of which is putting the right part on it)?

Like I said, though, it seems that the identifying part number or reference number for you is the A10.11, based on my limited experience with Tektro.

Last edited by Badger6; 06-28-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:59 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Badger6
Ugh...sounds like it's time to find a new shop, I'd start calling around. I've never understood how that is even remotely acceptable in a shop, especially when you consider that sales of clothing/accessories and service is how they make their money. They sold the bike, and their mechanic can't be bothered to know how to repair it (part of which is putting the right part on it)?

Like I said, though it seems that the identifying part number or reference number for you is the A10.11, based on my limited experience with Tektro.
Well there are 3 LBS's in the area.

The one I bought it from no longer deals with Specialized and charges a 300% mark up (above retail) on parts and they have a nasty attitude to anyone coming in the store to buy anything other than a $2000+ new bike. So I just don't ever want to deal with them.

The store I took the pad to last night is usually reasonable but their head mech retired last month and I think they are struggling to find a decent replacement. The guy who retired would have know exactly what the part was and probably would have installed them and cleaned the calipers for me free....all for a $12 pad purchase.

The 3rd option is a chain store and I wouldn't trust them to put air in my tires. Bought a used bike from then and got them to knock 40% off the asking price because of all the problems I found with it they didn't know how to fix. Took a gamble that I could fix them as an amateur and 2 hours of tinkering at home and $50 worth of replacement parts and it ran like new. So I just straight up don't want that shop's opinion on anything. (Great bargains for off the shelf products though)
Old 06-28-19, 09:05 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by cobba
Some Tektro brakes use the same type of pad as some Shimano brakes, you look to have the same shape pad as the Shimano B01S resin pads / E01S metal pads.

Resin = Organic.

Plenty of other companies sell these types of pads too, google Shimano M525 pads and you'll see what's out there.
That's what I thought. So same shape pad = compatible.

Now I just need to figure out what compound material I have. Tektro's website says the A10.11 is a semi metalic on that model page) I wonder if the bike was supposed to have organic pads and they were just out of them that day at the factory so the put semi metallic in.

Maybe I should just go with organic pads and call it a day. I don't ride this bike in muck. At most it'll be an unexpected rain I get caught in once in a while. No long runs down big hills or anything either. Will organics be okay?
Old 06-28-19, 09:15 AM
cobba

Bit of info on pad compounds: https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/bu...sc-brake-pads/

Some rotors will be resin/organic pad specific, they would be stamped with this if they are, a metal pad will wear these rotors down quicker.
Old 06-28-19, 09:20 AM
Skipjacks

$7 at REI. Organic pads.

https://www.rei.com/product/878505/s...isc-brake-pads

Easy win? Can't go wrong?

I mean...if they suck...it's $7.

And the rotors are not stamped with resin only. I assume I can use a metalic capable rotor with resin pads
Old 06-28-19, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another part of Tektro, TRP also makes disc brakes using that backing plate shape of Shimano origin.

And there are after market suppliers of replacement pads for most popular disc caliper makes & models ..

Old 06-28-19, 09:32 AM
cobba

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
$7 at REI. Organic pads.

https://www.rei.com/product/878505/s...isc-brake-pads

Easy win? Can't go wrong?

I mean...if they suck...it's $7.

And the rotors are not stamped with resin only. I assume I can use a metalic capable rotor with resin pads
They'll fit, but I can't comment on the quality or performance of them.

If your rotor isn't stamped with resin only, it can use any pad compound.
Old 06-28-19, 11:41 AM
sjh953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Your pad looks basically the same as those which came with my 2018 Roubaix Sport, with NON-hydraulic brakes. I wasn't happy with the TRP pads, so switched in Shimano. Much better. I've added a photo of the original TRP pad, along with the packaging from the Shimano. Got the Shimano from Amazon.

Old 06-28-19, 12:03 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by sjh953
Your pad looks basically the same as those which came with my 2018 Roubaix Sport, with NON-hydraulic brakes. I wasn't happy with the TRP pads, so switched in Shimano. Much better. I've added a photo of the original TRP pad, along with the packaging from the Shimano. Got the Shimano from Amazon.

The BO1S is the one REI has for $7.

I'm going to get some this weekend.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 06-28-19, 12:42 PM
cobba

The BO1S is the one REI has for $7.

I'm going to get some this weekend.
I didn't think they were Shimano pads but it looks like they are, they will be decent pads.
Old 06-28-19, 12:51 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
FWIW my gravel bike came with the metallic pads. I replaced the front pads a couple of months ago with resin pads just to see what the difference is. Riding the bike I really can't say I notice any difference. They might not last as long, but we'll see.
Old 06-28-19, 01:06 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I need new disc brake pads. But I need help figuring out what I have and what I can replace it with.

They are Tektro hydraulics. (On a 2017 Specialized Crosstrail if anyone has the ability to look up a specific brake model, but there is nothing on the levers or calipers telling me what model)

The current pad is below. It's hard to read but I think it says A10.11 BP618 _C741

I looked up A10.11 and this Tektro official page says that is a metallic ceramic compound
https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=226

This official Tektro spreadsheet says that is a standard metal pad (Middle section)
https://www.tektro.com/upload/Produc...1999DtkdK8.PDF
I'm 99% sure that what you have there are standard Shimano B01S-compatible pads. Tektro/TRP is well-known to use Shimano B01S clones on a wide range of their brakes, so you don't have to go crazy trying to find a perfect match. I have TRP HY/RD, Spyre, and Hylex brakes on various bikes and they all use that style of pad. Some Tektro brakes do use a different pad, but the shapes are pretty radically different so in the photo you posted it would be instantly obvious if you had anything other than the B01S pads. The spreadsheet you posted bears this out, in the table at the bottom where the A10.11 is cross-referenced to the B01S and a bunch of older Shimano brake calipers. So any aftermarket pads (Shimano, TruckerCo, Swisstop, many others) will work fine with your calipers, as long as they're listed as compatible with either the Shimano calipers shown in the table (e.g. BR-M375, M395, M525, etc. etc.), or with the B01S pads.

It's a little confusing but there are all kinds of different brake pad compounds with different properties. The two main categories are organic (or resin), and sintered metallic. There are also "organic semi-metallic" pads, like the ones I buy from TruckerCo, which are an organic compound with some metal particles mixed in, but they pretty much behave like organics from what I can tell.

In your case, if you're happy with the performance of the stock Tektro pads, then you're in luck, because these are widely regarded as junk . So any aftermarket organic pads you buy are likely to work even better! As for those Shimano M05 pads you found, if that's what I had laying around, personally I would put those on my bike in a heartbeat and not worry about it. They'll likely work great for most kinds of everyday riding (short of extreme downhill, rotor-scorching stuff where you would want sintered metallic).

P.S. Don't forget to properly break in new pads before taking them anywhere that requires good stopping power (e.g. steep hills or busy roads).
Likes For Metaluna:
Old 06-28-19, 08:13 PM
Skipjacks

I got the Shimano resin pads after work and put them on.

Only went for a 2 mile spin to bed them in and test them.

Holy cow what a difference. My old pads were worn to a very thin layer. I hadn't realized it because I got used to it but the pistons were pushed out so far they weren't retracting much. The old pads were dragging constantly. I thought I was just getting weak

New pads. Cleaned the pistons. Got everything working right. And suddenly the bike glides like I'm on ice! (In the good way)

Should have got the new pads a week ago.

Thanks everyone for your help